About this project
Read 'em and Steep was founded on the idea that adults deserve a monthly book subscription box that they can relate to! There are currently more than 20 book subscription boxes in the U.S., the majority of which are geared towards teens and young adults. At Read 'em and Steep we wanted to create a different type of box with YOU in mind.
Who you are:
- A lover of adult fiction (and occasional non-fiction!)
- A believer in literacy for all
- An adorer of unique and hand made goods
- A celebrator of diversity in literature
- A small business supporter
- An explorer of uncharted literature territory
How we are different:
- Our box is targeted to socially conscious adults who enjoy substantive reading and well thought of bookish items.
- Our box includes books that are independently published by either the author or small indie publishing companies, many of which we have already forged partnerships with.
- All books and related items will be hand selected and unique, and will support the work of other small businesses.
- We will celebrate diversity by regularly featuring minority and women authors.
Each box will be perfectly hand curated by librarian and book addict Jada Jones and her team of bibliophiles. You will receive (at least) one independently published book, a selection of coffee and/or tea, and 3-5 other theme related must haves. These items will vary, but you can expect to receive coffee and tea related items (mugs, steepers, spoons), treats (candy, cookies, goodies), and bookish goods (journals, bookmarks, stationary). All items will be hand picked, unique, and often hand made or independently designed.
Through our partnership with Room to Read, your monthly subscription also helps to bring books to those in need around the world. So not only will your life will be enriched, you will be sharing the joy that reading brings with those who otherwise would not have access to books. Room to Read also works to remove barriers for girls to attend school in developing countries.
We have also forged partnerships with indie publishers, artisans, and tea companies including Bookish Wonderland, Akashic Books, Ecco Press and Bookmarks for Kindness, just to name a few.
Finally, chosen books will be culturally relevant, socially aware, and often from minority or female authors. It is unlikely that you will already have read any of these books, however they will be like finding a diamond in a haystack.
How We Will Use the Funds:
The funds raised for Read 'em and Steep startup will be used as follows:
1. Inventory-we realize that this is the most important part! That is why the majority of funds will be used to purchase items to fulfill the subscriptions for the first 3 months. We have already made business partnerships including with independent publishers, authors, artisans, and exotic coffee/tea distributors so that we will be able to bring you the best goods at the best price.
2. Fees-this part of the budget will be used for Kickstarter fees, website domain costs, trademark and business fees.
3. Materials-this includes things like boxes, packing materials, printing supplies, etc.
4. Advertising-we will use this portion of the budget to pay for ads on websites and Google results improvements.
5. Shipping-while boxes will be shipped to you at no additional cost, shipping costs will still be incured. This portion of the budget will be used to get your boxes to you!
Note to other kickstarters: please visit and support http://kickingitforward.org a community for crowdunders!
Risks and challenges
We recognize that there are risks and challenges with starting any small business, especially in today's society. We have spent countless months trying to identify these risks and mitigate them as much as possible.
One obvious risk is how to keep overhead low while providing our customers with high quality items at a great price. We have successfully cultivated relationships through use of Jada's librarian network. We have created partnerships with independent book publishers, artists, artisans, and other small business owners. These partnerships will guarantee high quality and unique items at that we can continue to offer at a great price. We have also limited overhead by setting up in home "shops" at each team member's home. Lower overhead equals more, high quality goods for you!
Another risk is scaling the business. There is of course always risk involved when starting as a small startup and attempting to scale to a larger company. We have done our best to mitigate this risk by partnering with vendors who have the ability and interest in fulfilling both small and large orders without delay. We have also designed a sort of pyramid model for staffing. Right now we are working with a very small staff at the top point of the pyramid. As business grows we will expand outwards and add additional team members who have already pledged their time and support.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)