About this project
What is up Kickstarter!?
Want to make a movie?
THE SLEEPING BEAR is an indie feature film we shot last fall, but we need YOUR help to get it finished! For more information visit http://thesleepingbearmovie.com/ or http://www.facebook.com/TheSleepingBear
Check out the trailer, if you like it, read a little more about the project, check out the website or facebook and get to know us a little better. We genuinely want to be friends... because we need your help - and I mean you on your computer reading this right now :)
For just the HD trailer go to: http://vimeo.com/20588114
WHAT IS IT: In September 2010, dozens and dozens of people came together to make The Sleeping Bear, a 130 page romantic coming-of-age drama a reality. Cast and crew flew into Northern Michigan from all over the country (on their own dime) to work for free on our independent feature film. It was grueling 2 months: 1 of preproduction, 1 of actual production. Filming in rain and cold water, 5 am call times and 16 hour days, on an extremely tight schedule were the norm, but the effort was NOT in vain. We shot a beautiful, dramatic movie. Northern Michigan and Detroit provided an epic background for a script that received 42 out of 42 thumbs up and was passed around Hollywood, but was never seen as a viable financial opportunity. The script was written with 2 up and coming actors in mind Ryan Bradley and Jay Janocko, and we also had a nation wide casting call for the lead actress, and discovered the magnificent Eleanor Wilson. 100% of the above the line cast and crew are 27 years old or younger and this film has proven to be their calling cards in the film industry. Give us a chance- we've only got 30 days!
THE STORY:The Sleeping Bear is the story of Michael Bradley Jr, a 20-something, recently fired construction worker from Detroit, who for the past 2 years has been trying to sell the home of his deceased father. Since his death, Bradley has let his life deteriorate down to one of substance abuse, promiscuity, and depression due entirely to his lack of motivation to better himself and succeed in life. The loss of his job only worsens all of this.
When the time comes that his father’s home finally sells, Bradley realizes that all his ties to his past, both emotionally and physically, have been severed. No job, no home, no relationships.. A path to hope and a more enriching future reveals itself in the form of a Pastor’s kindness and the intrigue of his daughter.
With the courage to pursue happiness through action, but with a hard eye still fixed on his past, Bradley must decide if the journey through the gauntlet of life, no matter how difficult or trying it may be, is really going to lead to a better tomorrow. Happiness is waiting, he just needs to learn how to reach out and grab it.
OH YEA? We budgeted a $10,000 film and spent $15,000 (and we're all poor recently graduated college kids). Why? We wanted to do it justice and took any opportunity to do so. Feeding and sleeping 15, gear, transportation and gas (we shot all over the state of Michigan). Our main location was a beautiful antique cabin which doubled as our production office and crew headquarters. The game plan the entire way through was to keep pushing the envelope and see what we can get. And we took a $0 budget movie, found a great cast and crew, found $10,000 which then became $15,000. You're looking at some of the most positive young producers and filmmakers you've ever met and I hope you can help us.
WHY DO WE NEED YOU: However, the movie stands unfinished. We need money for post production- all things post production. That means
- EDITING (over 500 hours worth of work from the best young editor out there and an assistant. We just need to cover their rent, and when it comes down to it editing can make or break a movie)
- MUSIC (just a little cash to reward our amazing composers who have offered to score the whole thing for free. As well as purchase the festival rights to some amazing bands we'd love to have in the film like Band of Horses, M83, and Sufjan Stevens)
- ANIMATION (the film has about 10 minutes of an animated C story involving the legend of the Sleeping Bear. This is one position I don't know anyone who can work for free or for rent money, plus we want something on the level of 1987's Oscar winning short, The Snowman)
- SOUND DESIGN (this is the aspect of filmmaking you don't notice unless it's done executed, then the movie all of a sudden looks AND sounds bad. It's the difference in a studio "indie" like Little Miss Sunshine and a true indie which often seem cheaper than they need to)
- FILM FESTIVALS (So many random costs and expenses, submission and press kit fees, HD tapes, travel. We have our eyes on some of the bigger festivals, because once you get picked up by a big one the medium and small festivals follow. This is our chosen road to distribution.)
PS How Kickstarter Works: Your credit card is only charged, if and when, we reach our goal of $10,000. Funding on Kickstarter is "all or nothing" and if we do not reach our fundraising goal by the the end of March, you don't get charged a dime.
At the end of the fundraising campaign, backers will be contacted by the project's producers to obtain any additional information that may be needed (ie. shipping address, etc.). Thank you so so very much, every dollar seriously makes a huge difference.
DON'T FORGET KICKSTARTER IS ALL OR NOTHING. WE HAVE 30 DAYS TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN, TOGETHER. THANKS!
- The cast and crew of The Sleeping Bear
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where can I learn more about the project? Please visit our official website, www.TheSleepingBearMovie.com. There you can find a full synopsis of the story, our blog, trailer, videos and photos!
- Is my pledge amount publicly displayed? No. Only you and the project creator will be able to see your pledge amount.
- If I donate, when can I redeem my reward? All perks, big and small, will only happen if our goal is met. If we do meet our goal, immediately after our deadline we will contact you to start the process. The screening, picture books and dvds etc. can only happen after the film is completed, so this will take a bit of time. Bear with us!
- What if I don’t want the reward, I just want to support? No problem, there is a button that you can select if you don’t want the reward.
- Can we exceed the goal? YES! This would truly be amazing. Kickstarter will allow as much money as is given before the deadline. In all reality we need far more than 10 grand, but with Kickstarter being all or nothing we don't want to go too high. Exceeding our goal would be a dream come true!
- Can I increase my pledge once it’s been made? YES! Once you donate to our campaign, you may want to change your reward to a different one, or increase your pledge amount. To do so, go to Kickstarter and sign in. If you go to our campaign page, the green “Back This Project” button has been replaced with a blue “Manage Your Donation” button. Click it and you can enter a new amount, or choose a new reward.
- Can I give my reward to someone else as a gift? YES! That’s very sweet of you. If you would like to donate to the film but give your reward to someone as a gift, go through all the normal process of making a donation in your name. For billing purposes, this action must be in your name. After our deadline, we will send a message to you on Kickstarter. (It will be forwarded to the email address you provided). We will request things like your address at that time. If you’re giving your reward as a gift, simply include the recipient’s information, and any note you’d like to include. We’ll make sure they get it!
- What happens if the money isn’t raised in time? If our goal isn’t met before the deadline, your card isn’t charged. We want to avoid this scenario at all costs!
- Who does the money go to? Every penny (minus the fees for Kickstarter’s involvement) will go directly to THE SLEEPING BEAR's movie budget--your money goes directly to the funding of this film!
- I'm not in the US. Can I still pledge to projects? Yes. You can pledge from anywhere. Even Canada!
- How do we contact you? Glad you asked! Please go to the contact us page on THE SLEEPING BEAR website or RCW Pictures: www.TheSleepingBearMovie.com or RCWPictures.com. We will quickly get back to you!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)