Hello and thank you for checking out my Kickstarter campaign!!!!!
What is this project?
- First and foremost this project is all about the Music. As with all my other album releases it reflects my life as a musician inspired by life events, love, relationships, loss, nature, curiosity and my personal experiences translated, through music, into the universal. I feel it is a privilege to create music and release it into the world. It is my sincere hope that listeners enjoy the music and that it in someway enriches their soul.
- A full-length commercial recording that will be available online at Amazon, iTunes, CDBaby, Spotify etc. as a download and hard copy CD's.
- My 6th album release in the World Music/Native American Genre
- An album of 80% original songs with two cover versions planned.
- An inspired CD of unconditional love, perseverance, strength of spirit, deep peace in the face of challenge, humility, grief and ultimately surrender and joy. Plus a little fun and toe tapping along the way.
What is the money for?
- The cost of having the CD's replicated, pressed and manufactured on recycled, post-consumer board and a 100% recycled plastic CD tray and with vegetable-based, non toxic ink. I go with Digipaks instead of plastic because they are less wasteful and cost less to ship being a bit lighter. I believe in sustainability. I'm using an established company I've worked with on other projects and who manufacture CD's for the top recording artists. Also get to use my 5% ASCAP discount. Woo Hoo!
- The pre-order CD's will go to Kickstarter backers first, then to distributors, music programmers, music writers and reviewers as well as to promoters and when submitting for gigs and for sale at live shows.
How far along is the music?
- At this moment half of the CD is already recorded with the other songs being arranged and ready to record. Two songs are planned to be cover songs and require requesting and paying for a mechanical license.
- The artwork has begun though I will need to put in the names of the KickStarter backers in the liner notes who fund at that reward level.
I am very excited about the music on this CD. It is a fuller, fleshed out sound with layered instruments and vocals. The songs are very strong and the most personal I've recorded yet. My listeners and fans have been requesting that I sing more on my next record so I am. Lots of really inspired singer-songwriter material but with my Southwest World style of percussion, World flutes, hypnotic rhythms and the ethereal Hang and Halo Pan instruments Like on these tracks:
My Genre is Southwest World, but even that is limiting. I'm a singer-songwriter and composer who plays instruments from different cultures and traditional instruments like the guitar, bass as well as being a vocalist for most of my life. Being an independent full-time musician I don't have label backing but have released 5 successful albums in the World/Native American categories which have won awards and industry recognition from radio programmers. CDBaby.com/RandyGranger
I am very excited about the music on this CD as it is a fuller, fleshed out sound with layered instrument and vocals. More than that even, it is my most personal music yet. In 2010 I had to take time off from touring, promoting and recording to be caregiver for my partner of 10 years after he was diagnosed with stage IV inoperable pancreatic cancer. It was very difficult to be caregiver, sell a house, buy a house, coordinate care and eventually settle his estate for his heirs. It was also an honor to be with him when he passed on at home and the experience has left me with even more compassion, empathy and humility. Unfortunately it was a hardship financially as well and without help from you on Kickstarter I may not be able to get the CD manufactured and released.
Keep in mind when choosing a backer level that Kickstarter will apply a 5% fee to the funds raised. If funding isn't successful, there are no fees. When a project is successful Amazon will apply credit card processing fees, which work out to roughly 3-5%.
Have you done this before?
Yes I have. I've been a professional musician, instructor for a couple of decades working as a side musician in combos, orchestras, bands, as a jazz singer, opera singer, paid soloist and choir member, singing telegram delivery person, Cowboy and Mariachi singer. Basically if I could get paid for doing music I learned what ever was needed. I've had bands and toured with them but now as a solo artist for 15yrs I perform at festivals, concerts, small theaters, on PBS specials. My music is used in documentaries and films and for other licensing projects and composing for Dance companies. My producing credits include a number of award-winning CD's for which I'm very grateful.
I think as artists and musicians we make the Personal seem Universal and that is where the connection is made. In 2010 I had to stop touring, recording, promoting my music to care for a loved one diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. It was challenging, humbling and an honor though a financial, personal and emotional hardship. I'm still recovering in so many ways, but this record is part of healing from that. It is joyously cathartic in the sense that creating music that other's will bring their own story to is a responsibility and an honor. The music is peaceful, joyous, reflective, energizing acoustic music that I hope reflects the care and passion I've put into it.
Help me bring this music to the world or at least as many listeners as possible. It can only happen with YOUR help. Seriously. Contribute what you can. You can always give the extra CD's as gifts. And having your name on something born of unconditional love and passion I hope will make you proud. I am proud of you! Thank you! Muchas Gracias!
Here is my cover version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" from my CD "Pura Vida-This is Pure Life" the CD that came out just as I had to switch roles from musician to caregiver. The song is an example of using the instruments I play to express something. And I'd do it all over again if I had to just to get to spend one more day with the one I lost.
Please make your contribution now! Now! Tell everyone you know to do the same. Thank YOU!
- (30 days)