About this project
Do you and your adventuring party have what it takes to survive the Abandoned Kingdom of Algarus? Find out in this co-operative role-playing game (RPG) where you and your friends will team up to battle monsters, evade traps, and challenge fearsome bosses at the end of each of the 3 chaotic levels!
And as a thanks for stopping by, have a free mp3 download of our theme song: Unsealed Fate by Jon Babb!
Random Encounters is a game for 1-4 players, ages 13 and up and takes 20 minutes per player to experience.
- No DM Required - In this adventure it's the players VS the deck of Encounter cards. Just open the box and your quest is ready to begin.
- New Player PRESS START - Did someone show up late to game night? That's fine! Players can leave in and out of the group as the adventure goes on, like an arcade beat 'em up!
- Gateway RPG - Random Encounters takes influence from both tabletop and digital role-playing games in order to create a streamlined adventure that is perfect for those new to RPGs or board games.
- Follow the Leader - Each character has a special ability that activates when they are the leader of the group. During one encounter the party may get a defense boost, a sneak peek at the upcoming loot, or even a second chance to roll their dice!
- A New Path Appears - With 75 encounters cards, 75 loot cards, and 9 bosses spread across 3 levels; each game provides a different experience. Will you you battle the Great Golem or the Lord of the Jellies? Is that really a treasure chest - or a mimic!?
This project has been developed over the past two and a half years by Joshua Garrett (design, colors) and Jordan Basaldua (illustrations, design). We're just two regular people that love games and have learned how to use Photoshop by watching YouTube videos and reading books so that we can design the cards and create the artwork ourselves.
We've play-tested Random Encounters at comic and game shops, conventions, and of course - the dining room table! We're just about to finish the artwork (about 15 out of 175 unique images to go) and we're confident that with your help we can get Random Encounters created. If we can hit our goal, then together we can afford to get Random Encounters printed, boxed, and shipped all over the world!
Those familiar with RPGs will have no trouble picking up Random Encounters - but the same goes for those who haven't! We have playtested this game with gamers and non-gamers alike with ages ranging from 9 to 65, all of which were able to grasp the rules with little difficulty.
We also have just finished a tutorial video!
You can also watch this demo video where we'll teach you how to play Random Encounters while exploring the first level.
Here are the treasures you can earn by joining us on this quest:
We also have a retail tier! For the moment, we only offer the retail package to stores in the U.S. (sorry)!
Still not convinced? Have a listen to what reviewers and previewers had to say about Random Encounters:
- “I think this is a fantastic game to play with the family… It’s like Dragon Warrior… like playing an old Super Nintendo game or NES game.” ~Edo’s Game Previews
- “The number one keyword… that comes to mind when talking about Random Encounters is ‘variety’. There is so much stuff in just the core game.” ~Board Game Brawl
- "Random Encounters lives up to its name by providing a fun and unique RPG experience each time you play." ~Board Game Quest
- "Random Encounters offers exactly what the name implies, but does so with an air of whimsy and a whole lot of fun." ~Indie Cardboard
- "This game helps get those you’d love to play included in the fun, without the overwhelming bookshelves worth of information they’d need." ~Indie Tabletop
- "Guys, I think you have a hit on your hands. Random Encounters is simple to teach and learn and it's really fun." ~The Board Game Renegade
- "I was immediately sucked into the 'Dragonball Z'-esque art and further drawn in by how they deal with the alpha player problem." ~Meeple Mechanic's Campaign Reviews
- “It’s the greatest game starring me!” ~Tumble's Super Totally Not Biased Reviews
If we hit our goal and are able to get the game printed, Ship Naked will be helping us deliver Random Encounters all over the world! They are pros when it comes to delivery and have been super helpful in teaching us how we can effectively get this game to you. By using their Customs-Friendly World Wide Shipping, you as a backer don’t have to worry about getting slammed with a surprise charge for importing a game. We absorb the cost of shipping Random Encounters into the total price, but do ask backers outside of the U.S. to pay the difference. But we hope that you’ll find the prices to be pretty decent!
$5: Canada, France, Germany, UK
$8: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden
$10: Australia, China, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand
$15: The rest of the world!
If we are able to earn MORE than our initial goal, then we can unlock Stretch Goals. These are additional bonuses to make the game even better. ALL copies of Random Encounters will come with ALL Stretch Goals.
Thanks for stopping by our page! Please consider sharing it with your friends so that together we can make this dream journey a reality!
-Josh and Jordan
We are not interested in finding a publisher, or any other offers to take a percentage of our gracious donations in exchange for exposure. All such offers will be ignored and frankly, we will be disappointed in you for sending them because that means you didn’t read our page and weren’t all that interested in the first place! Those violating this request will have to deal with the Manticore, and we are not responsible for the Manticore’s actions.
Risks and challenges
We believe the risks involved with backing Random Encounters are fairly low. While this is our first project, the game has already been developed - it just needs manufacturing and shipping once we finalize the last few pieces of art. However just like any journey, there might be bumps along the way and something can always go wrong. Please know that you are not supporting a product, you are supporting an idea; together we can bring that idea to life!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)