About the Series
Forgotten by the rest of humanity and encompassed by planet-wide desert, the colony of Atrius endures. Over the centuries resource scarcity led to schisms in the population and now the vast city is split between a police state and the vast but fractured population of anarchists, who live in what is referred to as the Fringe. The Fringe is a place where gangs run everything, where cannibalism is the norm, and it is there that exiled war-hero Tertulius Justus must recruit a rag-tag brigade of untrustworthy prisoners to escape certain death.
I’m Travis Vengroff and I've written a sci-fi adventure I hope will blow you away! Driven by a love of sci-fi and post-apocalyptic fiction, I've been working with a team of artists from around the world to create a full-color comic book series. I've been developing the world of Liberty for years, creating a Tolkien-esque depth of history and a unique landscape to set exciting stories. My background is in film and audio-drama storytelling, and Liberty: Deception is my third creative venture into the comic book world. I'm joined by a core artistic team hailing from a number of well known comics and we're very excited to share our story! The team consists of:
Travis Vengroff- Writer, Creator, Producer (Random Encounter, Careless Juja)
Raymund Bermudez - Interior Sketches and Inks (Justice League, X-Men)
Joana Lafuente - Interior Color (GI Joe, X-Files, Transformers)
James Cartwright - Co-Creator, Storyboards, Concepts
Eirich Olson - Cover Art, Concepts (White Wolf, Wizards of the Coast)
Eduardo Camacho - Lettering
Casey Bailey - Concepts, Short Sequential Stories, & Continuity
Why do we need money?
In short: Print & Distribution Costs. Even with quality art and a strong world/story, as an independent comic book series there are many hurdles that stand between us and even marginal success. [Here's a well written article on the topic.] The chart below illustrates how little money comic book creators make off the sale of each comic (~12% of the retail price of $3.99), and why it's vital to plan ahead!
Since we can only expect to see ~12% of our sales, we need to sell a lot of comic books to break even and be self sustained! For that to happen we need our series to be sold nationally, and to figure out ways to cut costs without reducing the quality of our book...
This is our plan:
- Comic books have fixed costs (see above), which means the only way to be self sustaining is through national distribution. The only way to get national distribution is through Diamond Comic Distributors.
We need money to advertise in Diamond's Previews (the primary way comic book stores see/order upcoming comics) so we can be on store shelves throughout the country.
- We also plan to advertise the series at conventions and comic book stores to grow our fan base. Any extra funds we receive beyond our goal will allow us to attend more conventions and offer more rewards to our backers.
- To reduce printing/advertising costs, we need to release our series in story-arc based volumes, instead of as single issues. Most people prefer buying by volume, and getting more of the story in one sitting, so this is a win/win!
We need $20,000 to create the first volume and get our series off the ground. Here's where that money will go:
- The cost of printing our 120+ page, full-color, books through Print Ninja will be $9,500. In order to be self-sufficient, we will need to print enough physical copies to sell at conventions and through Diamond Comics Distributors.
- We'll also need money for advertising. To be noticed on a national level we need to dedicate ~$5000 to advertise in Diamond's Previews Catalogs. Any unused advertising funds will help offset the substantial booth/travel costs at C2E2, NY Comic Con, Megacon, Tampa Bay Comic Con, and other conventions around the country where we aim to advertise the comic book and grow our readership.
- Finally, we estimate that roughly $5500 (27.5% of funds received) will need to go toward transaction fees (10% [or $2,000] goes to Amazon + Kickstarter), will be lost from non-paying backers, applied to shipping & the creation costs on goods we send to backers, spent to replace damaged goods, and recover misc. fringe costs.
What have we done so far?
- We've designed an expansive universe, written the entire story, and completed story-boards for much of the series.
- We've given away over 3500 copies of our prototype issue to raise awareness for Liberty at conventions and events like Tampa Bay Comic Con and Free Comic Book Day events across Florida.
- We've created a successful Audio Drama podcast adventure - Liberty: Critical Research, which you can listen to for FREE here.
Mid May 2016 - Interior artwork for Issues 2 & 3 complete.
Late May 2016 - Paperwork with Diamond signed. The book is formatted and prepared for print.
August 2016 - Liberty: Deception Vol. 1 goes to print.
October 2016 - Release of Liberty: Deception Vol. 1. Premiere at NY Comic Con with events at select US shops. All physical goods sent to backers!
We're offering a wide array of goodies...
Liberty: Deception Volume 1 is our core story. We're offering it in physical and digital formats. While we're looking to print in soft cover, if we hit our first Stretch Goal, all copies of Liberty: Deception will be Hard Cover!
Physical copies of Volume 1 will be printed with a total of THREE different covers, and you can pick the one you'd like! The above cover is the primary option. Backers of the Kickstarter will decide which of the two other painting by Eirich Olson (which you can see at the bottom of the page) will be the Kickstarter Exclusive variant cover. A third non-exclusive cover is being painted by legendary artist Dave Dorman.
The Fringe Iconography Guide booklet is your quintessential guide to the symbology and iconography created by factions within the Fringe. Every symbol in Liberty has a meaning, and now you can identify what they mean! Illustrated by Matthew Bailey, with accompanying text by Fringe expert Dr. Martollow Kovski, this book will help you identify which faction is in control of Fringe territories you might pass through.
Wear your Critical Research Patch proudly as it symbolizes your devotion to Atrius!
Atrius: A Citizen's Guide is a fully illustrated history book featuring the artwork of Casey Bailey. In addition to a broad history of Atrius, the book also explains the Atrian written Language, Technology, Holidays, Government Structure, and even has information on key Citizens of note.
Special Thanks Digital Manifest
The Four Day Memorial is a monument in Atrius that will bear the names of those who helped us in our time of need. The final design of the Four Day Memorial is being created by KC Bailey and it will also be featured in the pages of Liberty: Deception.
We want YOU to be a character within our story!
ELITE ($200 level) Cameo - Your likeness (or that of a friend/family member) will appear in a comic book in our series!
COMBATANT ($250 level) Cameo - Your likeness (or that of a friend/family member) will appear in our comic in a combative role! You might even beat up one of the main characters, or save their lives! We also have combative roles as members of specific factions like the Saark flesh traders & the terrifying Dark Kin.
CONTACT ($1,000 level) Cameo - We'll work with you to create a character (in your likeness or other) who will be given AT LEAST one line of dialogue & involved as much as their occupation allows (there's only so much a dentist can really do in our story), either in one of our current issues, or a future one (depending on your character). They might also appear in our podcast stories! You also get the concept art signed by Casey Bailey! Note: You'll have to sign a release for us to use your likeness or character :)
MOST WANTED ($1,700 level) Cameo - We'll work with you to create a character (in your likeness or other) who will kill one of the main characters in Liberty: Deception (in a subsequent volume)! You will also receive the signed page of where you make the kill, and a signed print of your character concept art, designed by Casey Bailey. After all, it's not every day you can say that you personally killed a comic book character! Note: You'll have to sign a release for us to use your likeness or character :)
Vote: Variant Cover!
Director of Order - The above painting is a possible variant cover for Volume 1 by Eirich Olson. Hang the original painting on your wall and rest easily knowing that Atrius is protected by Caden West!
Director of Justice - The above painting is a possible variant cover for Volume 1 by Eirich Olson. Hang the original painting on your wall and rest easily knowing that Atrius is protected by Special Agent Tertulius Justus!
Archon Reeve Statue - We're working with Art Shaft to create a limited edition line of 6'' model statues depicting the great Archon in her youth! Each piece is hand painted, and individually numbered.
Vote: Who is the next hero?
We want YOU to tell us who you'd like to see us create a short 9-12 page comic about! Every backer gets a vote!
1. Officer Cato Patel - An Interface Specialist of the Special Defense Force undertaking his first mission beyond the wall.
2. Helix - A pit-fighter turned servant for the Children of Kon who prefers evisceration over conversation. Complications are sure to arise as he's sent to the market.
3. THE MANY - An infamous and mysterious entity within the Fringe seeking to punish the wicked. However, not every target is without complications.
4. Bridget the Ruffian - A notoriously lucky assassin for the Lucky 8's gang who is frequently volunteered for suicide missions.
5. Officer Melor Tactica - A tough-as-nails Close Quarters Specialist of the Special Defense Force who finds herself at odds with a rogue hacker.
6. Rhaya the Wanderer - A devoted warrior of the Dark Kin on a pilgrimage to seek knowledge.
7. Aemos Tural - A young exiled Atrian robotics specialist seeking to challenge the Archon.
8. Dr. Martollow Kovski - An Atrian scientist working undercover as a "Talesman" in the Fringe.
9. Liv Conway - A pissed-off 4'2 gun-seeker whose boyfriend was just kidnapped.
- 25k Stretch - Every copy of Liberty: Deception will be hardcover!
- 27k Stretch - Every backer will receive a free download code for the Liberty: Deception #1 Motion Comic staring Jon St John.
- 30k Stretch - Every digital copy of Atrius: A Citizen's Guide becomes a physical copy!
- 35k Stretch - We'll create an extra 8-12 page short comic illustrated by Casey Bailey and give a physical copy to every backer over $25! Every backer can vote on who the main character is.
- 40k Stretch - ?????
The Creative Team of artists who have helped shape our world:
Raymund Bermudez |Joana Lafuente | Eirich Olson | Adam Cartwright | Casey Bailey | Eduardo Camacho | Laurie Thomas | Matthew Bailey | Michael Lee Graham | Sean Thornton | Henry Hall | Kaitlin Statz | Danielle Otrakji | Deon De Lange |Alex Pascenko | Dylan Pierpont | Dave Dorman
Liberty (R) logo designed by Stacey Baldini
Music by Stevin Melin!!!
If you've read this far and you're still interested in the project: Our success is based on the support we get from the community, and we need your help to share our story! This can be through Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, blogs, forums, your local comic shop, or just by sharing this a friend who might be interested. Thanks again for checking us out! We look forward to bringing our story to life.
僕たちは『Liberty: Deception』（自由：欺瞞）というタイトルの新しいSF漫画を制作したいと思っています！ もう何年も前から取り組んでいるプロジェクトで、終末を迎えた後の世界を舞台にしたスリル満点のアドベンチャーです。『ホビット』、『ゲーム・オブ・スローンズ』、『Mass Effect』、『スター・ウォーズ』のように深い世界を構築しながら、現実的な科学を描きます！ 作品はフルカラーでシリーズ化し、120ページ強の第1巻を10月に発刊する予定です。ただ、僕たちは100％インディペンデントで自己出版をしているため、シリーズの印刷費用を賄うために皆さんからのヘルプが必要です。そこでKickstarterでクラウドソーシングをすることにしました。協力してくれた方には、ほかでは手に入らないお礼をたくさん用意しています。高いレベルの寄付者からは直接ご意見をお伺いして、特別に登場人物を作ります（自分に似たキャラクターにすることも可能です）。僕たちの世界で後に重要な役割を果たすことになるキャラクターです！ ヒーローと一緒に戦うこともできれば、文字どおりヒーローを殺すこともできます！ また、次の巻でフィーチャーするキャラクターに投票することもできます！
― Travis Vengroffと『Liberty』クリエイティブチームより
Risks and challenges
By May 27th the artwork should be complete. We're already close to finishing the remaining work, even before the launch of the Kickstarter and short of a global disaster we should have no issues finishing the artwork for Volume 1 well before July.
While we are not currently seeking a publisher, a potential publisher might offset some of the costs of printing as well as some of the costs associated with advertising. If this were the case we'd use this financial leeway to create additional artwork and continue the series.
In the event of a rejection by Diamond Comics Distributors we'll use the "extra" funds to advertise directly with select comic book shops around the country and will still maintain our October release date.
I personally have a very positive reputation within the Kickstarter community as a backer and also as a creator. Both of my previous projects that were funded delivered above and beyond what was promised.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)