Forks is a quick card game for 2-4 players, where your goal is to embezzle funds from profitable companies, and subtly coerce your neighbours into investing money into companies you've embezzled from.
- Unique 'choice giving' mechanic, where players have to influence the invested card by thinking carefully about the choices they are giving.
- Push-pull investment scoring. Players need to embezzle cards from profitable companies, but the more money embezzled from a company, the more likely it is to get audited and lose players money.
- Two core variants in the Box. Players can choose between playing with the Merge Rule or the Swap Rule. The Merge rule allows hands to change, leading to a more controlled strategic play, whereas the swap role changes invested cards regularly, pushing immediate tactical play to the forefront.
- Asymmetric abilities, players can deal out abilities at the start of a game, with each ability granting different powers and changing up how the game is played.
All this makes a quick, easy to learn game, with more choices and depth then first appears. And all of it in a game which easily fits into a pocket. Forks is a tiny footprint game you can take and play anywhere.
But Wait! If you back the game through Kickstarter there will also be an additional Kickstarter Ability Card! Exclusive to Kickstarter Backers only.
Here's a video of me explaining how to play, or you can follow the wonderful gifs below for a minute-long overview of playing and scoring.
Setup is incredibly easy- lay out the Merge/Swap card and Tiebreak card. Shuffle the investment cards, discard one from the game, and place the next three face up as the invested cards. If playing with Abilities then deal each player an Ability Card face up.Then choose a start player.
How a Turn Plays
When the deck runs out the game ends.
How Scoring Works
Multiple games can be played, totalling the score for each game as you play. Additionally the Merge/ Swap card add additional rules to play with, as do abilities. These can change how the game feels when it plays, so try with all variants!
The rulebook can be accessed via this link: https://radical8games.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/instructions.pdf
The Game Shelf previews Forks (great review, I encourage you to click through and read some more of their stuff!)
First part of the Behind The Box video here:
Runthrough by Boardgames with Niramas
(currency conversions from GBP correct at start of Kickstarter).
Forks will be shipped from within the EU, and because of its cost we can also promise friendly shipping to USA and Australia.
Shipping costs are as follows:
Forks will be printed in the EU by Ludocards in Italy. The instruction leaflets will be printed in the UK and the boxes will be hand-crafted and finished with matte-laminated vinyl for additional robustness. In the event that the number of backers means it is more cost-effective and less time-prohibitive to have the boxes factory made, they will be made in the EU to the same high standard.
The funding goal of £250 may seem low when compared to other boardgame Kickstarters, especially with subsidised postage, but there are a few things we've got in our favour to make this a sensible goal:
- Because the only components are cards we are able to get a much lower minimum order quantity than most other boardgames, at a reasonable price.
- By getting the cards printed in Europe rather than China it saves considerable money on freight and storage, as well as being much quicker and greener.
- By sourcing the boxes seperately to the cards, including producing them by hand if the numbers aren't overwhelming, we are able to both increase the standard of the box and decrease further the cost per pack for small numbers of orders.
- All artwork is already paid for.
- The game itself is small enough to qualify for cheaper postage rates.
All of this means if we do hit our funding goal we will definitely be able to produce the game and post it for the money raised.
Radical 8 Games is an independent board games publisher created by Mark Stockton-Pitt in 2018. Forks will (hopefully) be its first game published.
Mark is a games designer and maths teacher in Yorkshire. He can be found almost every other weekend playing boardgames at the Beyond Monopoly! boardgaming club in York. If you ever want to play him, just turn up and ask if anybody wants to play Agricola.
George Adams is the box artist. He's a young artist based in Kent, UK who specialises in graphic design, illustration, 3D modelling and 2D concept art. Although his emphasis is character design for video games, we're grateful for his abstract art for the cover of Forks. His portfolio can be seen here: https://www.artstation.com/iamgeroge
For more information:
Like us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/radical8games
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Radical8Games
Risks and challenges
Brexit. In case of exiting the EU before delivery to EU countries/printing of cards in Europe, Radical 8 Games will absorb all additional costs, including finding an EU distributor to keep it EU friendly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)