LightDrive table lamp
LightDrive table lamp
The revolutionary LightDrive table lamp uses high-output LEDs, optical waveguides, and has no exposed hot surfaces.
The revolutionary LightDrive table lamp uses high-output LEDs, optical waveguides, and has no exposed hot surfaces. Read more
About this project
A Unique Concept in Luxury Lighting by Radast Design
"I can see these lights not just in uber-modern apartments of creatives, but also in the regular family's home." - of Iron and Oak
"Not only are the quality of materials used unsurpassed, but this lamp is truly a timeless piece. The LightDrive definitely has a place in my contemporary homes." - Colleen Torres, Featured Designer for HGTV's Million Dollar Homes, Interior Design Concepts
"I was impressed by the technology and classic style of the fixture. The fact that they based the proportions on the Golden Rule just sealed the deal." - Briana Tiberti, Interior Designer and 'Street of Dreams' and 'Parade of Homes' Award Winner, Sun West Custom Homes
"masterfully engineered with an attention to detail." - Karanvir Singh, Born Rich - Home of Luxury
"might take the shape of a conventional living room fixture but it has been engineered in a remarkably revolutionary way." - Amelia Roblin, Trend Hunter
"Radast Design has turned lamp design on its head with a light source in the base." - Harry, MoCo Loco Modern Contemporary Design and Architecture
"Cross a lamp shade with a lightsaber and what do you get? LightDrive, a table lamp with a unique and intriguing glowing stem." - GearHungry
"cutting edge technology that has great perspectives of use in the future...The uniqueness of the project is in the fact that this lamp is truly eco-friendly, consuming only 13 Watts and it doesn’t give off any heat!" - Furnish Burnish
"Using only the finest materials and high-end luxury finishes, every aspect of this seemingly simple design screams beautifully understated elegance." - Annalisa Solari, JustLuxe - Affluent Lifestyle Guide
"what we dig most about this design is, while the light source is being directed primary to the top where it is being diffused, it leaves a trail of light that lights up its acrylic TIR channel which adds style and character to the overall lamp design" - Mike Chua, tech@mikeShouts | it's a tech lifestyle
"A designer can make cosmetic adjustments to the form, but most of us rushing to draw a "table lamp" in Pictionary would come up with the same thing. Now (Radast Design) is taking the classic form factor but injecting it with new technology" - hipstomp | Rain Noe, Core 77 - Industrial Design & Resource
"A Bad-Ass Upside Down LED Lamp That My Broke-Ass Can’t Afford" - Paul, Jubbling
"...it's gorgeous...money well spent..." - Meagan Thibeault, InventionMag
Why is LightDrive Unique?
At Radast Design, we are convinced that there is a better way to incorporate LED lighting in the home. Using the latest generation of LEDs with proprietary optical waveguide technology, we've developed a system to separate light delivery from heat generation. In doing so, we've created a lighting system that is bright, maintenance-free, uses earth friendly components, has no exposed hot surfaces, and is unlike anything you've ever seen before.
This contemporary bulb-less design uses a specially engineered Total Internal Reflection (TIR) channel to direct light from high‐power LEDs in the base to the top of the lamp where it is softly diffused. This diffusion zone is where one would expect the light bulb to be. Heat is carefully managed by a system of precision engineered aluminum components, resulting in a lamp exterior that is neutral to the touch and with no exposed hotspots.
Why is LightDrive Revolutionary?
The household light bulb has gone through several technological evolutions since the 1800s, and while they have become more efficient, some of their limitations still exist. They are still hot, fragile, and need to be regularly replaced. Technologies like Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) are a stop-gap solution, but they are filled with toxic materials and have a long warm up time.
New bulb retrofit technologies based on Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) are also promising, and the latest generation can last up to 50,000 hours (e.g., 17 years @ 8 hours per day) provided the junction temperature is maintained at its optimal rated value. To do this, the LED must be kept relatively cool, requiring bulky heatsinks which are difficult to incorporate in the classic design of the lightbulb - a challenge that becomes more difficult with greater light output. Most integrated LED lamp designs deliberately use low brightness LEDs to avoid dealing with heat. The LightDrive table lamp offers a completely novel approach to light output and thermal management.
What Sets Our Design Apart?
By isolating the heat to the base of the lamp, we have engineered a more efficient thermal management solution without the contraints of working around the classic bulb-socket design. The result is a unique looking lamp which operates at only 13 Watts and has no exposed hot surfaces. Our light sources are custom built from CREE XLamp series LEDs binned at a warm 2700K color temperature. Since the LEDs run cool, they are expected to last their rated lifetime.
BUT WE DIDN'T STOP THERE!
We used only the finest materials and high-end luxury finishes, and we scrutinized the design of every part (even the ones you don't see). Since the LED will last 15+ years, we've designed the rest of the lamp to last a lifetime and to look timeless. The thermal management components are precision machined out of aircraft grade aluminum and anodized black for thermal efficiency. The sculpted wood bases are finished with a luxurious, multi-layer automotive paint and durable clear coat. The clean and contemporary design incorporates the Golden Ratio throughout, and we purposefully balanced our use of glass, aluminum, and wood to achieve a measure of quality that is pleasing to both the eye and touch. We also took great care to use recyclable components.
What Are the Full Specifications?
What Are the Technical Details?
The LightDrive table lamp uses convective cooling to dissipate heat. Our patent pending design is optimized for efficient heat transfer. Even at relatively high ambient temperatures (exceeding 85 degrees Fahrenheit), our prototype LightDrive table lamp performs without fail. All exposed surfaces are neutral to the touch, with no sensation of accumulating heat. Apple Macbook laptops run and feel hotter by comparison.
Light Channeling and Diffusion:
Our large-bore optical waveguide, while simple in concept, is highly refined. We specifically selected materials that are optimized for clarity, and each element is surface polished to exacting standards as light exposes even the most minute flaws. To diffuse light at the end of the waveguide, we exploit the principle of 'light frustration'. With our simple "diffusion tube" design we can modulate the degree to which we scatter light versus allowing light to project upward, providing a pleasing balance between soft light for reading and room filling light for general visibility.
Since the primary diffusor is separated from the light source, it is completely cool to the touch! You never have to worry about accidentally touching a hot light bulb.
The LightDrive table lamp incorporates a custom LED module with a warm white color temperature (2700K on the Kelvin Color Temperature Scale). This is comparable to the output of classic incandescent bulbs.
Solid Modeling/CAD Views of Existing Prototype (As Built):
The LightDrive table lamp prototypes were designed with industry leading Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) solid modeling software and then hand fabricated by talented machinists and artisans. After several iterations of design, fabrication, and testing under real world conditions, we have a design that meets our objectives:
- Is Highly Functional
- Is Visually Stunning Yet Practical
- Is Robust and Reliable
- Is Truly Unique
What About Manufacturing?
We have already established our key manufacturing supply chains, and we've worked out our overall assembly and QA process!
The LightDrive table lamp will be fabricated using precision manufacturing processes, including:
- CNC Machining (Milling, Lathe) for Both Metal and Wood
- Metal Stamping
- Nickel Electroplating
- Anodizing of Heat Sink
- Multi-layer Primer, Paint, Clear Coat, and Polish
- Polishing of Elements Comprising our Optical Waveguide (This is KEY as Light Exposes all Flaws)
Our Production Plan:
The components that make up the LightDrive table lamp were designed and engineered by us and will be sourced by manufacturers and artisans both in the US and China. Our functional prototypes were built from components fabricated by these suppliers. Our target funding goal is designed to meet our suppliers' minimum order quantity requirements. Our production plan is as follows:
Once funded, we will:
1. Submit our production sample for UL Listing and CA Title 20 testing. We've incorporated only UL approved components and suppliers in the design of LightDrive.
2. Source Components. We will issue orders for our first production run, covering the cost for both the parts and any tooling associated with the volume manufacturing of those components (if applicable). All component runs will be managed within a database, allowing for precise tracking of quality, and simplifying future support.
3. Quality Control. We will perform hands on QA/QC with our suppliers to ensure our stringent specifications are met.
3. Assembly. We will assemble and package LightDrive in the US, where we can further manage QA/QC and the logistics of shipping and distribution. We have already mapped out candidate warehouse space to accomodate assembly at the scale of our funding target. As part of assembly, we will serialize (number) every finished LightDrive table lamp, allowing for precise tracking of quality and simplifying future support.
Throughout this process we will deliver timely updates and conduct web sessions to fill you in on progress and get your feedback!
Things we have already done:
- All components were designed and modeled in CAD. We have detailed specifications for tolerances, material selection, and finish quality.
- We have devised a detailed assembly protocol, which will help to ensure product uniformity, and overall quality.
- We are prepared to reject substandard components and have factored the rejection costs into our bill of materials.
Why Do We Need Your Help?
We've assembled an incredible team of experts in design and engineering, but we still need your help to bring the LightDrive table lamp to market.
Our Kickstarter funds will cover:
- Tooling Costs
- UL Listing and CA Title 20 Lighting Certifications
- Minimum Order Quantity Components
- Packaging Design
What About the Rewards?
For Kickstarter, the LightDrive table lamp will be offered in two standard colors: Ebony Pearl black and Arctic Pearl white.
For a limited number of Kickstarters, we're also offering the opportunity to work directly with our design team to expand our color palette. Backers will be able to customize their LightDrive with their choice of shade and base color.
This process will be a true collaboration. We'll discuss your ideas, exchange drawings and renderings, and work with you to match your decor. If you are the adventurous type, you'll even be able to pick a unique shade pattern (we work with a US based leader in custom shade fabrication with access to a wide selection of contemporary fabrics, patterns and colors). To customize the base, backers will also get to choose from a wide range of high-end paint colors (our current lamps feature multi-layered automotive pearlescent paints that have incredible depth and durability). As a true custom, your base will be hand painted and hand polished by a local artisan. To celebrate your vision, we'll showcase your unique design on our website. The most popular design will inform our next production color scheme, and we'll even include your initials in the naming of that run.
Thank you for spending the time to learn about the LightDrive table lamp. The team at Radast Design is truly inspired by the Kickstarter community and feels incredibly fortunate to be part of such a wonderfully creative medium! We designed our lamp with passion and a commitment to quality. We've put in thousands of hours of sweat equity, scrutinizing our design, optimizing our bill of materials, working out our manufacturing processes, building relationships, and thinking about every potential gotcha. We not only want LightDrive to be successful, we want it to be GREAT and IMPACTFUL. We want you and everyone else out there to LOVE it. We need your help to make this goal a reality. Thank you again for your support, wisdom, and encouragement!
Special thanks to the incredible professionals at:
- Sunflower Media Productions, http://www.sunflowermedia.tv/, for producing our awesome video!
- NEMA Photography, http://www.nemaphotography.net/, for capturing the essence of LightDrive for our official product shots!
- Venice Beach Haus, http://venicebeachhaus.com/, for allowing us to film in their gorgeous studio!
Risks and challenges
The LightDrive table lamp has been fully prototyped and is ready for production. All photos shown are of the working prototypes as they exist today!
The risks we foresee include:
1. Packaging: We still need to design a suitable packaging solution. A beautiful product is only as good as your ability to deliver it without damage. Our optical waveguide incorporates glass. As such, extra care will need to be taken to ensure our packaged product will survive the "throw" test. As we have for every component of the LightDrive table lamp, we will devise a solution that works without cutting corners. To get this right, there is risk that we may incur delays to our timeline as well as additional costs that will increase our bill of materials.
2. Supply chains: Our prototypes are built from components manufactured by the actual suppliers that will ultimately produce them in larger quantities. When working with suppliers there is always risk that volume manufacturing will not meet the quality specifications achieved at the prototyping phase. With Kickstarter support, our intent is to enforce a rigorous QA process with each of our suppliers. As with any manufacturing process, there is risk that processes will need to be refined and, in the worst case, a supplier may need to be replaced if target quality cannot be achieved.
3. UL Listing and CA Title 20 Certification: We are committed to safety, and we believe LightDrive represents a major leap forward in safe luminaire design. Nonetheless, there is risk associated with securing 3rd party certifications. We won't settle for anything short of full compliance. Any delays incurred to achieve these standards could obviously extend our timeline and strain our budget.
Our team is comprised of seasoned engineers and design professionals, each with over a decade of real-world experience producing technologies from software to high tech instrumentation for biomedical research. We don't claim to be superhuman, but we are skilled, driven, and extremely detail-oriented. We've engineered our prototypes without amassing a mountain of debt. We've relied on our unique collection of expertise to get things done, whether it is has been the design and fabrication of our prototypes, the graphic design of our marketing materials, or the building of detailed manifests, and projections to account for every detail, every cost.
Support this project
- (40 days)