Rabbel is a collectible print magazine for fierce-hearted preteens elevating the voices of women and girls around the world through inspiring, uplifting, and validating content focused on creativity and global female role models.
Nearly 8 in 10 girls want to feel more confident in themselves. We can’t ignore that. Rabbel’s mission is to deliver beautifully printed pages of diverse, inclusive and positive messages to mailboxes around the world to liberate the creative voice within.
While there’s incredible media celebrating the strides made by extraordinary women across history, we realize that we won't always have the opportunity to be the first at something, nor the best. We’re here to say that’s OK, no more apologies! The world is changing to make more space for women to excel. We are here to take up that space.
Studies show that at the critically formative stage between ages 8 and 14, girls’ confidence levels drop by 30% and more than half of teen girls feel pressure to be perfect. Girls are likely to be held back by powerful internal forces; self-doubt, lack of confidence, people-pleasing, perfectionism. Rabbel’s mission is to acknowledge that these challenges exist and learn to live alongside them. We want to share stories that reflect the limitless capacity of the female spirit to show how real women and girls can navigate their discomfort to find and express the unique gifts they bring to the world.
The preteen years are such a vulnerable time where the voice inside begins to quietly shame us into thinking we’re not good enough. We want to intercept the negative self talk that can derail personal expression and inspire girls to act on their creative intuition by indulging in the stories of bold and accessible role models.
One by one, and page by page, the collective female voices of Rabbel will multiply and drown out the restrictive pressures to ultimately redefine what it means to be a girl.
We're raising the funds to print and distribute our third issue, containing 80 beautifully designed and printed full color pages of inspiring, uplifting, and validating content representing a broad range of people and stories from around the world, to remind young women how powerful, mighty, resilient and radiant they are.
Issue 3 features include:
- How organization Amplifier is using art for social activism
- Mother/daughter collaborative dance performance in nature, BOAT
- Healing through documentary photography in rural Northern Thailand
- An autobiographical poem by a preteen girl living as an expat in Germany
- Romani women exploring visibility and identity through their art
- Selections from the 100 Black Females Project
- And more, including DIY projects, essays, and artwork
Rabbel Magazine was founded in 2017 by photographer and raconteuse, Julie Comfort, with significant inspiration, input, and collaboration from her daughter, Tully. Originally from NJ, Julie has also lived in Indonesia, Costa Rica, Mexico, and Berlin. Together they love to travel, take pictures, read, and make art.
Estrella Bonilla joined the team as Managing Partner in 2018. She is a socio-cultural anthropologist, originally from the land of the sun - Sunland, California. She spends her days as a kindergarten English teacher and a kids yoga teacher in Berlin. She loves to read, travel, doodle, and groove to her own tune.
Rabbel is made better by the contributions of an amazing roster of talented designers, writers, and artists including Claire Paq, Gillian Dreher, Lily Gardella, Elia Shaughnessy, Shayla Hunter, D.T. Nguyen, Tara Ayer, Jade Nichols, Cassandra Melvin, and many others.
With every contribution you can feel good about empowering a growing community of young women to throw the shoulds and expectations out the window and raise their collective voices, courageously, above the fray of stereotypes. And as if that wasn’t reason enough to back this project, we also have some really cool merchandise and opportunities, many available exclusively during this campaign!
- Copies of Rabbel Magazine - Available at reward levels $12 and up. Get Issue 3 at a 25% discount during the first week only!
- The Rabbel Collector's Wooden Box with engraved slide top, filled with goodies, including postcards, Claire Paq stickers, a Rabbel Notebook, and a set of 5 creative inspiration cards - Only available during this campaign at reward levels $150 and up
- A One-of-a-kind Surprise, hand-made by the Rabbel Team - Only available during this campaign for a pledge of $40
- Support young artists by pledging on The Rabbel Manifesto, hand lettered by 12-year-old Tully Comfort, to be proudly displayed as a reminder of your limitless potential, printed on fine art A3 paper - Available at reward levels $50 and up
- A one-of-a-kind custom portrait of you by Rabbel illustrator Claire Paq. You will receive a fine art A4 print of your portrait and it will be printed in a future issue of the magazine - Available exclusively during this campaign at the $250 reward level
We were so lucky to receive some early financial investment to launch Rabbel and fund the first year of production. As we continue to grow from our modest beginnings, we remain committed to creating an exceptional quality product that is not a disposable glossy, but a keepsake object that feels amazing in the hands. But printing, storage, and distribution are expensive. The success of this campaign will cover production costs, allowing us to spend more on creating awesome and uplifting creative content and expanding our community. We are dedicated to supporting up-and-coming writers, designers, and artists by paying them handsomely for their work and bringing their work to a larger audience of fierce-hearted girls. We also sponsor organizations empowering girls to make radical contributions to society. You can help us grow the Rabbel community and expose more and more girls to inspiring and validating storytelling by generously supporting this campaign and sharing it with your networks!
Our immediate goal is to cover the production of this next issue, but let's not stop there! The more money we raise the more impact we can have on reshaping the outdated narrative girls are still subjected to. As the Rabbel community continues to grow we will have the opportunities to offer even more resources, materials, and mentors to foster their creative voices. In the future we will add more workshops, events, and a series of micro-grants to give girls the tools and support they need to follow their audacious dreams.
Thank you so much for helping to realize this powerful vision!
- May 15 - 30, 2019 - Finalize Issue 3 Content & send files to printer
- June 1 - 15, 2019 - Print production & Shipping to Distributor
- June 17 - 21, 2019 - Magazines and Rewards Shipped
- Rewards should be received sometime in early summer 2019
#forkids #magazine #kidsmagazine #kidlit #preteens
Risks and challenges
We have already successfully printed and distributed two issues of Rabbel Magazine and have had the opportunity to work out any kinks. Since this isn’t our first issue, we don’t foresee any major issues, but we work with reputable and reliable service partners who are prepared to address any challenges that might arise. The content is sourced, the stories written, and most of the layout is already complete, so Issue 3 is just about ready to send to print. The additional rewards are also designed and ready to order as soon as we have the final quantities, and we have a crew ready to pack and ship your rewards to get them to you as quickly as possible. And of course we promise to update you on all of the progress along the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)