Quinoa : DIY ethical leather baskets and bags
Quinoa : DIY ethical leather baskets and bags
"Quinoa" is a family of self-assembly, single piece veg-tan and recycled leather baskets & bags.
"Quinoa" is a family of self-assembly, single piece veg-tan and recycled leather baskets & bags. Read more
About this project
The first “Quinoa” collection is composed of a family of ethically designed baskets, totes and clutches, each with its own name, which humanizes the product. It is based on a simple concept: the family members, of different shapes and sizes, are made out of a single piece of veg-tan or recycled leather and are easily assembled through a fun and functional folding system. Used as contemporary objects for storage, some of these baskets can turn into tote bags.
To support us please click on "back this project" on the right, and choose the rewards you want.
Pour nous soutenir, cliquez sur le bouton vert "back this project" en haut à droite de la page, et choisissez la contrepartie (pledge) que vous voulez.
支持我们，请点击页面右上方的绿色按钮"back this project"，并选择你的资助金额及回馈礼物(plege)。
It's in April 2012 that our paths crossed thanks to a shared passion: design and interior decoration. We decided to join forces, combining our skills and experiences.
After a busy period spent developing the concept, the first « Quinoa » collection was born in December 2013, through our desire to design items that are easy to move, to store and most of all last in time.
Quinoa reflects an ethical conception, particularly through the choice of materials. Each family member is crafted with certified veg-tan or recycled leather and comes in two colors: black and natural. The fixing of the baskets, once folded, is done with small solid brass accessories: button studs.
Our brand advocates a design "Made in France". Our workshop, which carries out everything from the cutting to the sewing of the baskets and their packaging, is located in the North-East of France. The accessories are ordered and engraved in a specialized workshop based in Paris. Only the veg-tan leather comes from a certified tannery located in Italy.
- The Veg-Tan Leather (Vegetable-Tanned Leather)
Vegetable tanning is an ancient and traditional craft process that tanneries have passed down over the years, usually using wooden drums or tanning pits. Nowadays, tanneries are equipped with modern technologies and machinery, but the quality of the tanning still relies on one factor: time.
Vegetable tanning is the most environmental-friendly way to tan leather, as there are no chemicals involved in this process: just natural ingredients, such as natural tannins, extracted from wood, bark, fruits or leaves. Only this technique is able to give leather such unique characteristics, retaining natural flaws and markings.
This is why Quinoa chose veg-tan leather for its collection, mixing fashion and tradition, and comfort and style.
- The Recycled Leather
Recycled Leather (Bonded Leather) is mainly composed of real leather scraps bonded together with other natural ingredients. Its composition and the amount of genuine leather used may vary according to the manufacturer.
The recycled leather used by Quinoa is made of 60% genuine leather, 20% natural latex, 10% natural oil and 10% organic dyes. All natural.
Our recycled leather comes from a German factory, committed to conserving natural resources and protecting the environment. Through constant efforts, the factory is in perfect harmony with the strict German legislation regarding air and water pollution.It is an environmental-friendly alternative to genuine leather, as it reuses only scraps without extra farming. For all those reasons, Quinoa chose this material to design its little basket line.
Meet the members of the family:
- Margot, Victor and Victor Junior are baskets that turn into tote bags once fitted with straps or handles. As baskets, they can be used as a magazine rack or “catch-all” to store scarves, gloves, and all kinds of accessories…
- Nicolas is a "catchall", a small basket for pens, keys, etc.
- Pierre-Elliott is a set of "catchall" small baskets fixed on a wooden wall peg.
Juliette and Antoine, a clutch and a case, are to attach to the tote with a strap that fixes to the button stud accessory. They are quite useful for organizing your belongings inside the tote bag, or very stylish to wear individually.
- Edith is a small case that can hold a pen, a lip-gloss, or an electronic cigarette.
- Arthur and Oscar are oversize baskets to store cushions, blankets... etc.
- Made in France. Our little family is entirely crafted in France. We attach great importance to this expertise that guarantees authenticity and quality, which comes at a price.
- Ethics. The baskets are made of genuine calfskin veg-tan leather. We have chosen vegetable tannins in the transformation of hides into leather. This tanning process takes more time and is more expensive than the usual chemical ones, but it is far less polluting and less harmful.We remain environmentally conscious up to favoring packaging materials such as recycled paper and 100% organic cotton.
- Quality. We select fine, high-quality materials to provide you with outstanding products: full grain cowhide leather, solid brass, FSC-certified solid oak, gold hot foil stamping... and developed the manufacturing concept in the most sustainable way.
- Unique. Quinoa is more than just a line of baskets; it’s a one-of-a-kind family. All family members have the characteristics of being designed without seams or permanent accessories. This concept was thought out to make the baskets last longer than other traditional leather baskets. Each basket has its own name that humanizes it even more.
ICT Contribution. We have chosen to support “International Childcare Trust” because we believe it is right to foster an organization dedicated to the education and the health of children, the real actors of tomorrow. Buy a Quinoa product and be a part of this game-changing association.
For all these reasons, you should adopt them!
Our family of baskets « Quinoa » is ready to be marketed. We finished the prototyping phases and a small postproduction has already been launched, but we don’t have the budget to cover the costs of raw materials and manufacturing required to initiate our first production. This is the core of our project and the main reason why we need you!
We think Kickstarter is the best way to fund our creative project. This is an excellent way to promote our concept and grasp its potential, but also to get in touch with people who may share our values.
In the long run, we plan to expand our family and would love it if you helped our small seed to sprout!
We would like to thank the people who helped us make this project a reality:
- Frédéric Torressan
- Diane Goyet
- Thomas Collin
- Ambre Jadin
- Nicolas Lauffenburger
- Lucie Ternisien
- Tibault Macar
- Aurore Vinot
- Zhou Ze'en
- Wang Zhi'ping
- Wang Yan'ping
- And all people who encourage and support us!
Risks and challenges
One of the main challenges of this project is to get the raw materials needed to manufacture the first production. Rest assured, we are already working closely with our suppliers and manufacturing partners.
Another challenge concerns the delivery deadlines. Many projects face these difficulties; however, we established relatively long delivery periods on purpose. We can therefore assure we will respect those deadlines. We will regularly keep you informed on the progress of the project.
Everything is ready; all we need is your help!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)