Progress Update, Rulebook, PnP & Mod
Hello everyone! We hope you're having a terrific weekend and that you had a very enjoyable International Tabletop Day yesterday!
We are very excited about this update but first off we just want to apologize: it’s been literally one month (and two days) since our last update and for us that’s too long. We aim at getting you news at least every two weeks so you know what’s happening with the project, but recently we’ve been very swamped and decided to try and push through to this update with full force, spending all our time working without taking a break to communicate. We’ve learned our lesson and won’t do that again!
What’s been keeping us so busy? Here’s what we’ve been working on:
- New Customer Group designs. (Playtesting the Customer Abilities, tweaking the card values and balancing out all the Pantry and Style Upgrade cards).
- Art. Art. Art. (Mario has done over 200 character art illustrations in the last weeks. The first 7 Customer Groups even including all 8 Friends & Family are completely done with the exception of two KS backer portraits. More news and previews of his progress in the next update!)
- KS Backer Portraits. (While this only directly affects a few of you it’s still worth mentioning as we’ve spent some good energy and time on this and it has been a load of fun! With nearly all the portraits in-progress our next step is to review the good and bad reviews y’all submitted!)
- Rulebook Layout. (This is not the same as the new rulebook release. Our graphic designer, Pietro, has been hard at work laying out the entire rulebook. It looks like he’ll be done this weekend. We’re very excited to share this with you in the coming weeks.)
- New Rulebook Release. (This is the 99% done version. New rules, tons of fixes to text and iconography, and images that are much closer to the real thing. So far your feedback and tips have been invaluable and we're excited to see what you think of this version!)
- Store Pick-Ups. (Thank you everyone for the 500 something submissions! We’re busy going through this list and preparing our contact plan to get as many of these retailers on board as possible. The more that say yes the more likely we can save y’all money on shipping!)
- Design Verification Prep. (Design verification is the first step to getting the game produced with our manufacturer. We are currently very aware that both art and translations may cause delays so we’ve spoken with our manufacturer about how to speed up parts of the process. One way is to send some dummy files before the final content is ready to make sure our process is correct. We’re in the midst of this right now.)
- Testing Factory Samples. (We have received the play mat samples and are running them through some tests. We’re also waiting to receive the wood samples and the resource bags. Once we have all of these items together and have tested them we’ll get an update out to share the status!)
- Preparing the Pledge Manager. (And yes, as all of you have been asking, we are pushing to get the PM ready for you. There are three topics that slow this down: Store Pick-Ups, Essen Pick-Up and verification of the final play mat material. We are moving as fast as we can on these topics. The whole team wants to thank you for your patience because we know it’s not easy to wait!)
Whew! That’s a lot. We hope this can help explain why we’ve had our heads down diligently working for the last 4 weeks. But enough excuses, let’s get to what you really came here for…
It’s here! With a huge huge huge thank you to our fabulous rulebook editor, Roman Rybiczka, (as well as everyone else on the Quality Beast team who’s been hard at work on the rulebook) we are proud to unveil the newest version. It’s important to understand this is not final, but rather what we consider to be pre-final; our second-to-last version.
Here’s what’s changed:
- New rules added
- Cleaned up existing rules
- Support for 5 to 6 players
- Iconography updates
- Thematic fixes (for example, replacement of "Cheap Coffee" with "Strong Coffee")
- Juicy new imagery (a lot of which was generated using the new TTS mod!)
- Tons and tons of feedback from all of you amazing backers (and others) incorporated into the document!
That’s quite a bit, so we hope you can understand why it took us the time it did to get it there. Head on over to the rulebook now to give it a read and let us know your thoughts!
What’s a new rulebook if you can’t play the game, right? As promised, we’ve got the newest version of the mod, with a massive credit going out to master modder, OgreYama, from the Tabletop Simulator mod community.
What’s new in this version?
- 5 and 6 player support
- Updated art and graphics (do note the mod is slightly behind the print and play, though)
- Updated components to match the new rules
- Very exciting 3D models for the beans, milk and sugar cubes
- Grid-based layout guides with snap points
- Easy setup for customization
- Resource containers and personal resources for each player
- 7 Customer Groups (1 of which is new) completely redesigned
- New Café Achievements
- Probably other stuff we are forgetting to mention…
Not everyone owns Tabletop Simulator or enjoys playing digitally so we’ve put a lot of energy and effort into making sure the rulebook release was timed up with the mod and the print and play. This definitely slowed us down by weeks but we hope you’d all agree it’s worth it. The print and play files are ready for you to download so come get ‘em!
And as always, if you have feedback, don’t be afraid to shout!
Alright, that’s it for today. We’ll do our very best to give you another update within the next two weeks. Please note that we’ll be in Tokyo for the Tokyo Game Market demoing our next game, Towers of the Sun, so it may not be until about Monday the 14th that we get some more news out to you. At that time we’d like to give a full update on how our production timeline is looking (as well as some juicy manufacturing samples). Until then, enjoy the content and keep on being awesome!