Late To The Party : A Cold War Espionage RPG in the Baltics
Arrest, interrogate, and uncover the truth as a local woman recruited by the KGB. For Windows, Mac & Linux.
Late to the Party is an espionage RPG about the struggles, fears, and turmoil of the oppressed during the dying days of the Soviet Union. Use your contacts, tools, and wits to stay alive in the midst of a dangerous historically-inspired conspiracy.
- Play it safe and fudge the facts, or stick your neck out to uncover every last link of the conspiracy in a branching storyline.
- Use your character traits, KGB spy tools, and improvised equipment to cover your tracks and further the investigation.
- Balance your allegiances and always cover your tracks if you want to stay alive.
- See the Baltics come to life with locally inspired art and music.
- Enjoy dialogue and scenarios dripping with dark humor from the makers of Unrest, a critically acclaimed narrative RPG funded via Kickstarter.
- Full mod support lets you create your own worlds and adventures.
- Late to the Party will be available DRM-Free on multiple digital stores, without any DLC or microtransactions.
- If you want a Steam key and DRM-free copy of Unrest, or the soon-to-be-released Will Fight for Food Redux, you can add $5 (or $10 if you'd like both) to your existing pledge and they'll be yours once the Kickstarter is funded!
1991. The Baltics have suffered the casual contempt of Communist occupiers for more than half a century. Goods are scarce, jobs are reserved for Russian transplants, and a bottle of liquor in the right hands could mean the difference between safety and death for your family.
Resources are stretched thin. The oppressed are striking back. And those in power are growing increasingly desperate.
You are a local woman groomed by the KGB to investigate your own country. Your smarts, drive, and history of criminal behavior make you an ideal recruit - assuming you remain loyal to your crafty superiors, your power-mad coworkers, and the crooks that make up your intelligence network.
Revolution is brewing. With the right information, you can be the Soviets' greatest agent - but with the right reason to fight, you might just be their greatest miscalculation.
At the start of Late to the Party, you will compile a dossier for your character that outlines your history, criminal record, strengths and weaknesses. Your position as an agent means you have access to state of the art equipment such as wiretaps, untraceable poison, "truth serum" injections, and more.
You'll need every resource you can get. No matter how safe you play it, there's danger everywhere, and every fact you learn could give you one moment's grace.
Late to the Party is an evolution of the systems introduced in Pyrodactyl's previous titles, Unrest and Will Fight for Food. Every NPC has two opinion values - Disposition, or how they currently seem to feel about you, and State, or what they seem to be feeling generally. Furthermore, each of your dialogue options is marked with an Intent that describes which direction that option is taking the conversation in.To give an example:
- You're meeting with a fellow KGB agent. This agent already hates and mistrusts you, but is smart enough to cover it up.
- To you, his Disposition appears as "Polite." However, he's clearly a little on edge, and his State is "Tense." Rather than let him be, you decide to probe at the source of his tension.
- You select a dialogue option that seems to be subtly looking into his attitude, but just to be sure, you check the Intent. Which - sure enough - is marked "Pry."
- A few probing questions later, and the facade drops, altering his Disposition to "Contemptuous" and his State to "Irritated."
Over the course of the game, you will conduct multiple investigations into the suspicious events happening in your city. The outcome of the plot depends not only on how well you resolve the cases, but also on how well you cover your tracks (if you choose to align yourself with the revolutionaries) and how well you please your superiors (if you don't want to be executed). You will constantly juggle safety, ideology, present needs, and the needs of the future.
We are Pyrodactyl Games, a team of passionate RPG developers with a history of interesting and unique titles in the genre. We have shipped multiple games before, and we want to bring another one to you!
You can listen to the song that was featured in the trailer here:
Our goal for this Kickstarter is to ensure our core team of developers can work for the duration of the game's development. We plan to commission freelancers on a contractual pay-per-item basis for additional art and music.
Risks and challenges
The greatest plausible risk we run is of the game releasing late. Since we don’t have a publisher setting the release schedule, we won't release the game until we know it's ready, which might be some while after the date mentioned above. The volatility of game development schedules is well documented.
Pyrodactyl Games hands out its money on a careful and strictly contractual basis. All hands aboard are committed, seasoned game developers who have never failed to ship a promised product.
Our team is structured in a way that losing a single member (or two) won't derail the project. Even if the lead developer was flattened by a bus tomorrow, the other members of the team are fully capable of finishing the game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)