Are you fascinated by strange behavior?
Do you like true crime and scary stories?
Are you curious about the science behind why we do what we do?
Then you should be listening to Psychologia.
What is Psychologia? Psychologia is a podcast exploring human psychology, with a focus on its dark side. The name is the root word for psychology, which is derived from the Greek psukhe meaning "breath, spirit, soul," and logia, meaning the "study of" or "research." Each episode of Psychologia examines a new facet of human behavior and the stories, laws, and research behind it.
We've already self-produced one season with nine great episodes - and a budget of $0! We're very proud of the results, and if you haven't had a chance to check them out, here's a little run-down (you can find more details and listen to them all here):
- Episode 1: Whose Memory Is This, Anyway? - The incredible truth about false memories
- Episode 2: Devil Town - The unbelievable Satanic Panic of the 80s and 90s
- Episode 3: Hypnosis On Trial - What is hypnosis and how is it used in our legal system?
- Episode 4: Soldier's Heart - PTSD, from Shakespeare to the DSM
- Episode 5: A Brief History of the Lobotomy - Walter Freeman and his "lobotomobile"
- Episode 6: Your Brain on Music - What happens in your brain when you hear music?
- Episode 7: The Insanity Defense - Three cases that shaped the modern insanity defense
- Episode 8: The Exorcism of Anneliese Michel - A true story of exorcism and death
- Episode 9: Killer Profile - Three stories of criminal profiling
Who makes Psychologia? Your host, Amaia Perta, has a master's of science in forensic psychology and is a graduate of Bard College and a former student at UCLA. Psychologia was born last year as a culmination of her deep interest in the darker side of psychology and its history, as well as her undergraduate degree in theater and performing arts.
In addition to the individualized focus of each topic, every episode has a completely original score and sound design composed by musician and engineer, Cambron Carter (whose first full-length album was just released on Spotify). This seamlessly-produced element brings a new soundscape to each show, creating a fresh atmosphere to underscore the material.
We need your help. Our goal is to make the second season of Psychologia a bi-weekly ten-episode season, with a five-month run. All of season one was recorded in our homes with basic equipment and minimal technology, and we had no sponsorship or external support.
We want to add some cool features to season two, like travel to site-specific locations and interviews with experts - plus better sound quality and variation - but that requires a budget. We need funding to upgrade our equipment and editing software, pay for the platforms we use to post and share the podcast, support the research that goes into each episode, and underwrite the exciting changes we want to make. If this campaign is successful, it will make all of that a reality!
Get excited, because we have so many ideas for season two! Here are just a few of the topics we might make into episodes if we reach our goal:
- Angels of death
- Child criminals
- Eastern State Penitentiary
- Eating disorders and Victorian fasting girls
- Elliott Barker's nude LSD experiments
- Folie a deux
- Sex and sexuality
- Sleep paralysis
Support Psychologia! Pledge now and get some great thank you rewards, like a limited edition Psychologia pint glass, a handwritten postcard, a personal "on-air" thank you - and even the chance to pick the topic for a full episode!
Risks and challenges
We've already completed a full season of Psychologia, so we have faced and overcome many of the issues inherent in producing a podcast with no funding whatsoever. At this point, the primary challenges we face are simply putting in the work for a complete season - which we have already proven ourselves able to do - and doing so in a timely fashion. The support of this campaign will give us the funds necessary to make that happen!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)