Pro Wrestling X – Bringing back classic wrestling gaming!
Pro Wrestling X – Bringing back classic wrestling gaming!
Pro wrestling video games lost their classic style of fun over a decade ago. We're bringing it back with Pro Wrestling X.
Pro wrestling video games lost their classic style of fun over a decade ago. We're bringing it back with Pro Wrestling X. Read more
About this project
December 4 Update:
Just wanted to express how thankful we are for the awesome messages and donations; you guys keep us going NO MATTER WHAT! Keep spreading the word, and help the dream we all share come true!
November 23 Update:
BIG NEWS: We have updated the reward tiers with some HUGE additions: Put yourself or your creation into the game as a playable character for as little as $50. And if the game is fully funded, we will most likely break a record for the most playable characters in a wrestling game – ever. Get the full details at this update post.
November 16 Update:
The producer of WWF No Mercy, Sanders Keel, has backed our Kickstarter: "I'm very happy to make a donation for this. Best of luck as always and hope to see this come to completion!"
Pro Wrestling X is a 3D wrestling game being developed for the PC platform. Our game features the core game mechanics lovingly inspired by the classics of the Nintendo 64 era, WCW/nWo Revenge and WWF No Mercy – but free of the imposed limitations of licensed console games. A game made by wrestling fans, for wrestling fans.
Our mission with Pro Wrestling X is clear and attainable:
- Focus on simple but deep gameplay mechanics that are FUN!
- Build a game that's open and moddable. Give gamers the freedom and tools to create new content.
- Create a wrestling game platform that evolves and grows – and never goes backwards.
- The ultimate goal: the fun of No Mercy + the depth of Fire Pro Wrestling.
- Give love and respect to pro wrestling for the memories it has given us.
Why we need your support
We've spent the last few years building the world’s first 3D PC game engine designed specifically for wrestling games. In 2012 we released a sneak peek of our humble-but-mighty prequel to Pro Wrestling X, Uprising. The engine and grapple system is awesome, and we own the technology outright!
Take a look at our controls, and see for yourself:
For our prequel, however, we had to use graphics and animations designed back in 2004. To be blunt, Uprising is a jet plane built with lawnmower parts. We are building a bigger and better game – we have LOTS of ideas – but redesigning our art and animations is an absolute necessity to move forward.
More bluntness: Development has been running on fumes for years – working in our spare time, fueled only by the passion for the project. Unfortunately, you can't pay rent with passion for wrestling games (we've tried). The sacrifices from the crew have been enormous. We're going all-in on this Kickstarter in the hopes we can continue our dream.
What you are backing
We aren’t looking to start a project from scratch; we've already done the hard part. Your money will mostly be spent on rebooting the art and animation assets (and buying our lead programmer a desk with a real chair so he can retire his floor cushion).
The new Pro Wrestling X will be the foundation on which all future development will be built – so we want to get it right. Should we be fortunate enough to get funded, these are the minimum base features of our Kickstarter release:
- Familiar, intuitive grapple system and controls
- One-on-one local gameplay (1P vs. 2P, 1P vs. Computer, Computer vs. Computer)
- Multiple venues
- Keyboard and USB gamepad support (XBox 360 controller compatible)
- Arena editor
- Ring editor
- Open and moddable art assets
- All new art and animations
If we exceed our funding goal, we have many additional features and match types ready to announce.
Let's get to the fun stuff: REWARDS!
Our success is only possible with the support of our amazing fans. The thousands of people who've been with us for years; who sent stacks of support letters when we needed them; who pump us up when we get down; who tell their friends and spread the word.
As we add rewards, we know it's getting hard to keep track of everything. Kickstarter doesn't allow us to modify tiers. We're created this website to help you decide your pledge. Just click "Reward Tiers" for the specifics.
To thank you for your generosity, we've got a lot of great rewards. Many are self-explanatory, here's a bit more detail on the others:
- "The Making of the Pro Wrestling X Kickstarter" – We'll record a podcast telling you the story of the frenzied making of the Kickstarter campaign, including juicy secret gossip about famous wrestlers helping us and bizarre voice mails.
- Newsletter Anthology – Over 550 weekly emails going back to Wrestling Gamers United Newsletter #3. Read the whole history of Pro Wrestling X!
- Online documentary series "Rise & Fall & Rise of Pro Wrestling X" – Those of you who have followed us since the beginning know it's been a crazy ride. Here's the kicker – you don't know the half of it. We'll put together the UNCENSORED history of the project in documentary form.
- PDF Concept Art Book – Over the years, we've generated lots of concept art and graphic design that never saw the light of day. We'll bundle it all up, and let you have a look.
- SHIP A CHARACTER IN THE GAME! – For as little as $50, you can ship a character of your choice in Pro Wrestling X! Rules apply, more details in this update.
- "I Saved Pro Wrestling X" T-Shirt – Long-time fans know shirts have a storied history with the project; it only seems right to mark our Kickstarter with one.
- Super-Deluxe Keepsake Boxed Version – We aren't going to ship you some crappy jewel box with a CD of the game burned on Dave's ancient laptop. We'll put something together you'll be proud to show your friends.
- Calacas figure – How cool is this? A one-of-a-kind hand-made Tirador Mexican wrestling figure, created by Mel, the original designer of Pro Wrestling X's signature character.
- Free games for life – It's the least we can do for a high level of support. Any games or expansions we ever make, they're yours.
- Championship belt – Of all the reward tiers, this one is probably the most drool-worthy. You'll get a physical Pro Wrestling X championship belt designed by Jesse Justice and produced by Top Rope Belts.
SHIPPING POLICY: We'll ship for free within the United States AND Canada regardless of reward tier. For anything outside North America, we'll have to charge a shipping fee based on the size/weight of the reward.
And along the way, we'll have a few surprises if we hit certain milestones. There's some great stuff we're holding close to the vest.
Where the hell did you guys come from?
Once upon a time, Canadian game enthusiast Dave Wishnowski was complaining about the first GameCube wrestling game on an online forum (as was tradition in those days). A commenter dared him: “If you think you can do better, why don’t you make your own game?”
Fueled by at least three seconds of deep thought and consideration, Dave answered: “Fine! I will!” In the weeks, months and years ahead, he quit his job, launched a movement in Wrestling Gamers United, got some funding, found some friends to help and got to work.
Through many zany adventures (soon to be a best-selling inspirational / warning book), we prototyped, refined, destroyed, and rebuilt wrestling games over the course of several years. We’ve come a long way, and we are ready to take Pro Wrestling X to the next exciting level.
We need your help to make it happen. For those who have been with us from the start – and for those who are hearing about us for the first time – we can't thank you enough for your belief in us. We hope we get the opportunity to make you proud.
Risks and challenges
TECHNOLOGY – Building a video game is a massive risk. Many games fail to be completed because of unforeseen technical challenges. Thankfully, we have greatly reduced this risk by creating our own engine – one that we know works and one we own outright.
We'll also minimize the risk of creating new art and animations by lining up technical artists and animators that have already produced content for previously shipped wrestling games.
[This is so important. We've discovered building a wrestling game is almost nothing like making a first-person-shooter or RPG. Wrestling games are unique and intricate in their own way, and the fun is in the details – details only a wrestling fan can know.]
MANPOWER – We're a small team, each member performing a critical job. If any one of us gets hit by a bus, it could delay development (and make the other team members quite sad). We are reducing this risk as much as possible by making sure documentation is maintained, allowing new people to step in and take over if need be with minimal confusion and guesswork.
Also, we avoid buses.
Tragedies aside, we've already faced – and overcome – a myriad of crazy challenges. Your support will back a crew that has never quit. Ever. Long periods without money. Near-death experiences. Nearly finished games that had to be scrapped through no fault of our own.
We have soldiered on; there is no quit.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)