This visual novel takes place in the universe of Xal, but keeps its story and dialogue grounded with a realistic edge that helps the player better connect with the characters in their alien world. It's up to the player to decide Xjena's personality: will she risk her shot at a fortune to form a stronger bond with her fellow ladies? Will she do whatever it takes to climb up the economic and political ladder? Can she balance the nature of the brothel's business with a desire to help the men, or will they merely be pawns to continue that climb? Every little choice adds up, and even the smallest decision can change the course of an important conversation dramatically.
Demo Features (v1.3):
- Estimated 5k+ of Dialogue
- Voice Acted Areas
- 3 Main Endings + various variations to said endings
- ※ Full game features will be different from the demo
- Voice Acting from an experienced cast
- Animated Backgrounds in a distinctive art direction
- Optional relationships that affect the storyline + Branching options leading to several unique scenarios each play-through
- Morality System with several shades of gray; the "right thing" may hurt more than it helps. And you'll have to live with those decisions.
- 3 Endings with variations based on player choice and unique scenarios
- Secret Endings that take understanding the game's lore and narrative to figure out how to unlock.
Composer Johnathan Johnson leaves his orchestral roots to offer a score with unique bassy rhythms and impassioned strings to go with beats you can chill to. His past works range from orchestral, to Metal-Swing musicals. You can hear some of the demo's music down below, as well as check out the projects he's made music for!
"The Path Least Chosen"
"Moment in Time"
- How is the cost so low? The secret is in the staff. The programmers and artists on board all have their own projects they want to see brought to life. And they'll need a composer. Thanks to my secondary skill, I'm able to offer my own talents at heavy discounts across the board and keep this project's costs down to a minimum.
- Vocalists are the lovely singers you hear in the demo. They'll be providing vocals for longer tracks in the full game.
- Equipment covers the instruments needed to provide a proper 'swinging' soundtrack and tablet for our graphic designer.
- Fees are what Kickstarter and their 3rd party company "Stripe" takes before we see any of the cash.
Kickstarter is easily one of the best ways to get your idea out there to a wide, receptive audience, and as someone else who is in love with the idea of creativity being both wanted and supported, we couldn't be prouder to host our first serious commercial product here.
Unless one of the higher stretch goals are reached, the composer/writer will not be paid for this production to cut down on the budget. If you liked the music and would love to both hear more and use original tunes for your own projects, you can support his Patreon! It comes free with discounts for those who happen to want to commission a lot of music. And if you want to talk about WoX or any of the storylines it's connected to, Reddit is your friend! Lastly, if you want to ask Xuna any (reasonable) questions, you can follow and tweet Xuna and she'll answer!
Risks and challenges
Although the risks have been mitigated quite a bit (all main characters are drawn, and the writing and music need only a fraction of a traditional budget), the challenges of meeting expectations and making this the absolute definitive example of what we're capable of are ones that are both present, and welcomed!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)