We started GIR with a simple mission - to revolutionize the spatula.
We knew that if we designed a product with carefully chosen materials, an uncompromising focus on quality, and a bit of attitude, we would have something worth sharing with the world. And we hit on something big.
In 2012, we launched our first design - the Ultimate Spatula. It's a multipurpose kitchen tool made out of the best food-safe silicone in the world. Heat proof, dishwasher safe, and indestructible. Most importantly, its unibody design eliminates the problems found in most common spatulas:
- joints and corners can trap food/oils and foster bacteria
- wooden handles aren't heat-safe, and warp in the dishwasher
- metal handles scratch nonstick surfaces and get hot to the touch
The Ultimate Spatula is finally getting some company. The design principles that made it so awesome are being extended to three new sizes: MINI, SKINNY, and PRO.
We are so excited to introduce these new products to the Kickstarter community. The Mini, Skinny, and Pro sizes are every bit as "Ultimate" as our original spatula.
PRO: Made for professional kitchens and serious home cooks. Ideal for large, deep mixing bowls or pots. Broad, strong blade. Balance and heft that will rival any professional foodservice utensil.
length: 40cm (15.75in)
blade width: 6.8cm (2.7in)
heat proof: -40°F to 464°F
- scrape dough out of a KitchenAid stand mixer
- gently fold a meringue - the wide blade can move a large volume of food
- quickly transfer and spread chopped vegetables or batter on to a baking sheet
- make caramel/candy in a high-walled pot (bonus: sticky residue is easy to clean off)
SKINNY: Created to reach into tall, thin jars. Scrapes the deepest corners of any container. Leaves nothing wasted.
length: 28cm (11.01in)
blade width: 3.9cm (1.5in)
heat proof: -40°F to 464°F
- scrape mayo out of a deep container
- scoop the pesky "last bits" around the inner lip of a jar or bottom of a can
- stir iced tea in a tall pitcher
MINI: For smaller jobs - and even smaller hands!
length: 21cm (8.27in)
blade width: 3.6cm (1.4in)
heat proof: -40°F to 464°F
- spread icing on a cupcake
- scrape ingredients out of measuring cups, small mixers/bowls, coffee grinders, cans
- kids need a spatula too! this one is the perfect size for the mini-me in your life
Like the original Ultimate Spatula, the Pro, Skinny, and Mini are made from a single piece of solid, FDA-grade silicone. Each of them has been designed for optimal flexibility. And of course, they're heat resistant and dishwasher safe.
Choose from a full lineup of colors to create a set that matches your kitchen, combine your favorites, or even color-code based on food types.
We spent seven months testing and perfecting these models, using our experience with the Ultimate Spatula to inform high-level design and then giving each size a lot of individual treatment to create three excellent new products.
Our spatulas are patent pending. Fingers crossed!
A TOOL FOR EVERY NEED
- PRO spatula measures up to the industry standard in width and length
- SKINNY spatula's blade fits inside narrow containers, with a long handle so your hands stay out of the way
- MINI spatula is great for small bowls. It's also the perfect size for kids in the kitchen
HEAT PROOF AND KITCHEN SAFE
- Leave it on the pan - it won't get hot. Designed with the cook's safety in mind.
- The Pro, Ultimate, Skinny, and Mini are heat rated to 464°F for prolonged exposure
- All sizes are spot-heat resistant to 525°F (but your food would burn at that temp anyway!)
EASY TO CLEAN
- Dishwasher safe
- Stain resistant silicone won't discolor from time or continued use
- Oils and food particles come off easily with soap and water
- Inert, stainless, tasteless, odorless
- Bacteria and fungi have no chance to grow or spread
- Made from 100% non-toxic materials
- Compliant with ISO 9001 : 2008
- BPA free
- GIR Silicone = hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, silicon (and a dash of love)
- European Union Food Regulations approved
- FDA approved
- According to our patent attorney, we invented something very cool
We're just about ready for manufacturing! We have working prototypes being tested in two Michelin-starred kitchens in NYC. The next three months will be spent making final adjustments to our designs, casting molds, creating packaging, and organizing our distribution plan.
Our original Kickstarter campaign for the Ultimate Spatula was a huge success. We wouldn't be here without the incredible support of our backers and the Kickstarter community, so here's where we say THANKS AGAIN FOR MAKING US REAL.
Risks and challenges
With previous experience in silicone manufacturing, we were able to mitigate many of the risks of this project. We have a great relationship with our silicone supplier and injection molding facility, and they're ready for our order - even if we end up with a project that is over-funded.
We are so excited to reach a global community through Kickstarter -- but that also presents some shipping challenges that we need to be prepared for. We will be partnering with an enterprise-level fulfillment facility to ensure that each package goes out on time, no matter where in the world it is being shipped to.
We've spent months refining our prototypes, making tweaks at the fraction-of-a-millimeter level for each design. The whole team is confident that the Mini, Skinny, and Pro spatulas will be on par with the Ultimate Spatula in terms of quality. We are continually fine-tuning these designs, but we don't anticipate any remaining barriers to success.
Since this will be our first production run for each size, we will face the usual challenges of meeting minimum order quantities, re-casting molds if more changes are needed, and handling final packaging and packing logistics.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)