It's hard to believe that over a year ago we embarked on a journey to crowdfund and make Kick-Heart together. It has certainly been an exciting run to say the least. Over the past year we have shown the film at many festivals around the world and the reception has been very positive.
Thanks to all of the backers, Yuasa-san and his creative team were able to make a very unconventional and unique anime. Through this project, many more people are getting exposed to the wonderful world of Masaaki Yuasa.
Here are some highlights over the past year we wanted to share with you:
In total, Kick-Heart was shown at 27 Festivals around the world, with a several more festivals to go. Here are some of the highlights so far:
- Annecy 2013 (Annecy, France)- Considered the world's premiere animation film festival. Kick-Heart was in competition for best narrative short. To make it into competition here is a great honor.
- Ottawa International Animation Festival (Ottawa,On) - Considered North America's top animation festival. Also had the fortune of being in competition for best animated short in the narrative category.
- BFI London Film Fest - We were invited to show Kick-Heart at England's largest and most prestigious film festival.
Although we didn't make the short list for the Oscar's, we did manage to take home some great awards:
- Fantasia 2013 (Montreal, QC) - Best Animated Short
- Animation Block Party (Brooklyn, NY) - Best Design
- Fantastic Fest (Austin, TX) - Runner-up for Best Animated Short
- Cut-Out Fest (Queretaro, MX) - Runner-up for Best Animated Short
Here is an festival laurel image showing some of the festivals we participated in:
- Kick-Heart on Toonami - Kick-Heart was broadcast twice on the Cartoon Network. The first time we broadcast at 2:45am and pulled in a viewership of about 700,000 people.
We have finally finished the digital wallpaper image. Please expect an email shortly with a download link. The image was created by the core Kick-Heart staff (Masaaki Yuasa, Michio Mihara and Aymeric Kevin) and is based on artwork used for the upcoming Blu-ray release in Japan on December 27th. Here is a small preview:
We wanted to give a special thanks to Shawne Kleckner of RightStuf.com for helping us fulfill the thousands of backer's rewards that needed to get shipped all over the world. It was not an easy task, and we could not have done it without the help and support of Shawne and his team at RightStuf.com.
Additionally, wanted to additionally thank Kevin Kleinrock of Masked Republic, who helped make our wrestling mask rewards.
As the project continues to wind down, we will eventually be discontinuing updates and support. However, if any major news comes up, we will be sure to announce it on Kickstarter.
Also, from now on, please send all support inquiries to:
We are discontinuing use of Kickstarter and our yahoo email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) to handle support issues.
Additionally, if you would like to keep up with the latest news, we recommend following these twitter pages:
Future Release Plans
Some of you have asked on the future availability of Kick-Heart to non-backers. Currently, Kick-Heart is scheduled for release in Japan on December 27th, 2013.
Unfortunately, there are no plans for a U.S. domestic release of Kick-Heart yet, however an import of the Japanese release will be exclusively available at Anime Jungle in Los Angeles on December 30th, 2013.
Here are the details of the Japanese import release:
- Blu-ray (12 min movie + 26 min behind the scenes)
- DVD (Director Yuasa’s special movies 20 mins, CM spots, etc.)
- Length: 12 mins HD / Vista Size
- Audio: Japanese / English
- Subtitles: English / French / Spanish
- All Region Codes
- New Cover Design by Masaaki Yuasa / Booklet
- Price: $17.50 + tax Available at Anime Jungle
- Available online on Amazon: Jungle Special Collectors Shop
- First 100 buyers will get a free poster
319 E 2nd St #103 Los Angeles, CA 90012
Phone: (213) 621-1661