TorchShips - Real 3-D Space Combat
TorchShips is a 3-D tactical space combat game based on real physics
with procedurally generated single and multi-player missions. It will be
released for Windows & Mac first, and then later for the iPad.
This isn't your grandpa's space fighter. You're not looking out a
grimy cockpit window using a joystick to kill an enemy a kilometer away
who flies like they're an airplane in an atmosphere.
You are the
captain of a TorchShip - powered by a Gaseous core fission /
nuclear thermal reaction drive and armed with nuclear missiles, laser
cannons, and a kinetic lance. You will maneuver in 3-D space in a
crowded gravity well and engage hostiles at ranges of up to 20,000
- 3-D combat & UI - space is not flat, and neither is TorchShips.
- Newtonian physics - your ship maneuvers in 3-D space using a reaction drive.
& Systems control - detailed damage model and systems control -
you'll have to manage heat build up, fuel, and reaction mass levels.
- Weapons include your own reaction drive, kinetic lance, missiles/mines, and laser cannons.
- Procedurally generated single and multi-player campaigns against human and non-human opponents.
- Fast set up skirmish modes.
- Crew development
- Customize your ship, name and weapon/system load-out.
- FTL is used to link scenarios and battles. (yes... we know Faster Than Light travel is handwavium - but it allows us to add many more masspoint systems and environments to the combat scenarios without bogging down in multi-year transit times...)
- A rich background with hundreds of human cultures and dozens of alien races.
Your first spacecraft in the game is an armed freighter – rebuilt for light combat, scouting, and
convoy raiding. Approximately 150 meters long with a 5 person crew. Here is a comparison shot alongside the USS Saratoga – a US Navy carrier launched in 1955 AD (the Saratoga is 324 meters long). (USS Saratoga model credit – WilliamT)
We're using Kickstarter to fund the following items
- Server and hosting fees for multi-player portion of the game during the beta test and initial launch
- Unity Pro & Team License
- Professional 3-D art & models
- Additional sounds and music created for the game
- Development of additional levels, systems, and features.
- Polish, fine-tuning, and game-play balance.
Inspirations and Credits
TorchShips is inspired by the novel Ender's Game, Time for The Stars, CJ Cherryh's Downbelow Station and her Alliance/Union and Chanur series.
We used the sites listed below as references to get the physics of future space combat as 'real' as possible.
Your pledge of $10 or greater will get you a digital DRM free copy of the final game when
it’s released. We do not know yet what the primary method of
distribution will be, but regardless we will give you a copy for
Windows & Mac.
Goal is to be content complete within 3-4 months and then
release the game by end of October. This is subject to change.
Pledging $25 or more will give you access to the closed Beta.
The specific date is still uncertain but we will attempt to
start it within two months of the end of the Kickstarter campaign. Here is
what we know now:
- The Beta will require Windows or Mac.
- It will initially be available only to Kickstarter backers.
The requirements are all subject to change.
- OS: Windows (XP/Vista/7), MacOS
- Processor: 2ghz Core 2 Duo
- The TorchShips site can be found at torchships.com.
- If you have any questions or concerns please see the FAQ or contact us.
- Sign up for notifications about the game on our site.
- Follow us on twitter at @torchships
- Like us on Facebook.
Together we can create a fun, realistic space combat game - thank you for your support.