A game of piracy on the high seas! Buy, sell, and steal cargo while improving your captain's prowess and increasing your infamy.
A game of piracy on the high seas! Buy, sell, and steal cargo while improving your captain's prowess and increasing your infamy. Read more
Privateer is a European-style board game where players race to increase their infamy through the buying, selling, and plundering of cargo on the Caribbean high seas.
Privateer has undergone hundreds of plays and countless hours of testing to ensure that it is a fun game which remains strategic and exciting. After each game, players are hungry to play again with a new captain and to try their hand at a new strategy or play style.
- 20 Captain Cards
- 40 Bounty Cards
- 40 Port Cards
- 60 Cargo Cards
- 60 assorted coins
- 6 coin bags
- 1 white and 2 red dice
- 6 Colored Ship Pieces
- 1 Map Game Board
- 6 Ship Tracking Boards
- 30 assorted track markers
- 1 Wind Marker
This game was meticulously designed to be fun for both new initiates and seasoned players. We love playing board games. We also have a very large group of friends with diverse interests. Our challenge was to create a game that could be enjoyed by anyone who we wished to play the game with. The result is a game that has been enjoyed by children, teenagers, adults, and grandparents. The game takes a relatively short amount of time to explain (even to non-board game players), yet allows for deep strategy and rewards adaptive foresight.
By supporting this project, you will allow us to finalize the production of a game which we have been playing for over a year and a half. Our prototype game is a blast, but we would love to bring the production in line with other games you may already own. It is our belief that Privateer deserves a spot on anyone's gaming shelf, or can be the first game to start one!
Privateer will retail for $50. On Kickstarter we are offering the game for $45, which includes shipping in the US (a significant savings.) For backers in other countries, there are some increased costs for shipping:
- Canada: Add $10 to your pledge total (down from $20!)
- EU: Add $10 to your pledge total (down from $20!) *Remember, you may also be responsible for VAT*
- Everywhere else: Add $20 to your pledge total
The object of the game of Privateer is to be the first captain to amass a total of 20 "Infamy" points. Infamy is a measure of how fearsome, clever, and skilled your captain has become throughout the entirety of the game. Infamy can be gained through upgrades to your captain's ship or through the accumulation of powerful and rare Relic cards.
Everything in Privateer is based off of your captain's upgrades. Upgrades can be purchased in any of the game's four unique tracks, which are detailed as follows:
- Sails: This track determines how quickly your captain's ship can sail between ports. A higher sails score allows you to visit ports more frequently, catch and attack other ships, or even outrun other ships altogether.
- Crew: This track governs your captain's influence. Throughout the game there are a large number of events which may transpire during play (called Fortunes). When a Fortune occurs, captains with a high crew score often receive larger benefits than captains with a lower score. For instance, during the Parley Fortune, each captain rolls a six-sided die and adds the result to their total crew score. The captain with the highest total roll may receive a free upgrade to any of their four tracks!
- Cannons: Upgrades to this track will allow your captain to best other ships in combat. This track is essential if you wish to plunder cargo from other ships or if you want to ensure that your own cargo will not be plundered by other aggressive captains. A captain with a low Cannons score can often fall prey to continuous attacks from greedy captains with an eye out for easy plunder.
- Hold: This track affects a captain's ability to store cargo. Simply put, the higher a captain's Hold score, the higher the number of goods he or she can carry and trade at a time. This is often a very important track for merchants, or even for pirates who often plunder large amounts of cargo at one time. What is the use in plundering cargo if you have nowhere to store all of your hard earned booty?
All of Privateer's captains are wholly unique, and have special abilities that increase a player's ability to utilize different track upgrades. You will often want to play to your captain's strengths in order to ensure victory. Often, however, a player may choose to play their captain in an alternate way depending on the way the game is transpiring. There is no wrong road to victory!
If you like your project, please consider backing us and sporting this nifty backer avatar:
To add the avatar, Right click the above image, select "Save As", and save the image on your computer. You can changed your avatar on Kickstarter by clicking on Me -> Edit Settings -> Picture.
Our goal on Kickstarter is to fund our project to a total of $25,000. We arrived at this figure by approaching many different game manufacturers and calculating costs, as detailed below:
- One-time costs: These include costs for creating molds, developing artwork, and ensuring our legal compliance.
- Production costs: These costs include the per-unit cost to produce and ship one game of Privateer.
We believe very strongly in this game, and we have brought the total funding goal lower than what we believe is necessary by investing a good portion of our own money to cover production costs. As such, we don't want to just successfully fund this project, we want to see this game in as many homes as possible! In order to ensure the quality of the game reflects the interest of our backers, we would like to offer the following additional rewards for all backers who will receive a copy of the game. Each Stretch Goal will be unlocked when the total funded amount reaches the amount detailed on each rung of the boards, as detailed below:
Ensignia Games is a small game company consisting of Rick Barnes, Braven Carver, and Zackariah Schuster. Originally we were just three friends who all loved playing Privateer, but after exploring our options and then realizing how talented each of us were in our own rights, we decide to take a risk and develop our own company.
Everything produced so far has been done through our own hard work and through the charity of a lot of great friends and family. We are unbelievably lucky to have access to such a huge network of immensely skilled videographers, artists, marketers, CEOs, designers, and even fellow game developers.
A huge thank you to Robert Bagby, who has helped mentor us every step of the way. None of this would have been possible without your help, Bob.
A big thanks to all of our family and friends, especially Judy Secor and Dawn Schuster, who convinced us to make this project a reality.
Also, a shout-out to Bill Trammel (of Catan Boards fame) for the early Kickstarter help and to r/boardgames on Reddit. What an absolutely fantastic community that we are lucky to be a part of.
If you like Privateer (or us!) please follow us on Facebook, or visit our website at www.ensigniagames.com
Risks and challenges
Our biggest challenge will be the completion of high-quality artwork in a timely fashion. I would love for games to be in backer's hands before the holiday season, and artwork will be the one element that could have the potential to postpone that goal.
As such, a great amount of our resources will be spent in art creation. We have partnered with some great artists to ensure that our production value will be top quality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)