RAW 2 CF RAW - convert your frames into video, fast!
Bogged down by RAW frames? Quickly convert them into a smaller RAW VIDEO for real-time playback and edit - with automatic audio merge!
What is RAW 2 CF RAW?
RAW 2 CF RAW is a Windows program that lets you convert your raw image file sequences to CineformRAW codec quickly and easily - with audio merged!
Developer's home page: http://PrimeHD.com/raw-to-cineform/
Say, you shot raw DNG with BMCC (Black Magic Cinema Camera), 5D MK III, or the upcoming Digital Bolex. Or perhaps you made a beautiful timelapse with DSLR, like Canon 5D MK II or III, in a raw CR2 format. How do you even preview the sequence, let alone edit it in real time?
RAW 2 CF RAW to the rescue! It quickly converts your raw sequence into real-time playable and editable raw video, with audio automatically merged. At quality level 5, the raw video file is 3 to 10 times smaller than the DNG sequence, yet almost as good as the original (perhaps except for the most demanding green screen works.) At quality level 1, the raw video file is yet significantly smaller and faster. Problem solved: with RAW 2 CF RAW, get your real-time previews and editable video out of the unruly RAW frames sequence, fast! RAW 2 CF RAW also allows you to dial in your options like automatic merge with audio file, LUT applied, framerate, etc.
In total, there are 5 file types supported as source for conversion to raw video: DNG, CR2, TIF, DPX, and ARI.
Use RAW 2 CF RAW to make your life easier - conversions are fast!
Features and advantages of RAW 2 CF RAW utility:
- converts your huge raw frame sequences into smaller, yet high quality video files for real-time playback and edit
- auto-detects and merges an audio file from BMCC sequence. Or, choose any other wav audio file to be merged
- adds suffix right to the video file name: one look, and you will know it was encoded as Cineform, what quality level was used, and whether a LUT or sound were added. Nice!
- reclaim tons of disk space by converting into raw video with RAW 2 CF RAW, then archiving (or deleting) the original huge frame sequences
- super-easy input of parameters (quality levels, framerate etc...)
- apply your favorite LUT, right at the time of the conversion. You can always change LUT later with metadata tools like FirstLight etc.
- time elapsed / progress of the conversion, as well as final status, are conveniently displayed so you know what is going on at all times
- remembers your settings between the sessions - intuitive interface and workflow makes it easy to use
- either drag-and-drop, or folder-browse to select files and folders for fast, familiar input
- very fast operation, intuitive workflow
- Help section built-in with useful tips and links
- sophisticated GUI catches and corrects possible errors, and auto-fills information as needed
- no more command-line pain and errors; no more multi-step file transcoding
- NO changes to your existing video codecs installation or configuration. This ensures your carefully set up production system is never disturbed by this utility, unlike others.
- fast and light, does not overload your system's processor or memory.
So far tested with BMCC's raw DNGs (2.5K), raw DNG sequence from ML 5D MK III (HD), 5D MK II raw CR2s (6K), and After Effects-rendered TIFs (HD) - worked fine on all.
RAW 2 CF RAW requires:
- Windows OS (no Mac version at this point, but does allow creation of Cineform files - both Raw and regular - in .mov as well as .avi on Windows. Please note: Audio Merge options will not work with .mov) Tested and works fine on Win 7 x64.
- Cineform software installed, that comes with dpx2cf utility. RAW 2 CF RAW requires Cineform's dpx2cf command-line utility, which is found with Cineform and GoPro Studio installations. How to make sure you have it: open Command Prompt, type dpx2cf and hit enter. If you're prompted with "USAGE: DPX2CF" options, you're all set!
Alex created this program out of necessity, as nothing else existed to fulfill his needs. Now you can have this fast, useful helper program, too. Developer's page (includes Revision history): PrimeHD.com/raw-to-cineform
We are "the last 5%" people. As we all know, the last 5% of work takes as much, if not more, time and effort than the previous 95%.
If this project is successfully funded:
- the last 5% of work on RAW 2 CF RAW will be finished within about 10 days, including further debugging, testing, and making a better installer
- the RAW 2 CF RAW program will be released to you, the contributor - guaranteed.
- we'll know enough people are interested in this software, so we could afford to both release it and maintain it
Please spread the word:
RAW 2 CF RAW quickly converts large raw frames into the video raw files, ideal for real-time previews and edit! http://kck.st/16j9MRP
Risks and challenges
Your risk is minimal – the software is working (see video), virtually all of the programming and debugging is already done. Even if this funding fails, you will still get your money back from Kickstarter.
So let’s make RAW 2 CF RAW release a success - contribute towards one of the downloads on the right!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (8 days)