CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO ON VIMEO!:
PRE- is a new lifestyle brand centered around graphic tees that combines fresh creativity, intelligence and timeless style and quality.
OUR GOAL IS SIMPLE: Make stylish, high-end product imbued with meaning inspired by history, knowledge and intellect.
Most graphic tees today strive to be aesthetically pleasing or trendy, but seem to lack intellectual depth and quality construction, and because many brands use the same pre-made blank t-shirts, they tend to have the same generic and boxy fit.
With these issues in mind, we made it our mission to create a brand that made the fashion world a better, smarter place.
Historical narrative, as well as beauty, intelligence and taste, became the primary inspirational drivers of PRE-.
These inspirations yielded the concept of translating well-known academic resources, like encyclopedias, books, and academic journals, into something that not only provides people with something attractive to wear, but also educates, delights and even inspires.
The shirt itself, carefully crafted and engineered, took numerous samples to perfect and has a number of features.:
1. Unique unisex fit - We tested the cut of our tee again and again to provide the wearer a slim yet comfortable shape. Our unisex shirts looks great a bit loose on women over skinny jeans, leggings, or belted with a maxi skirt, while for men, it is a sleek and fitted shape.
2. Special French-seam finishes - French seams usually belong to couture, tailored or high-end garments. This type of finish is sewn TWICE over the same edge, instead of the traditional serged seam that may unravel easily. More work to finish the seam means higher cost, but we think our t-shirts deserve the love. Two times the stitching on the same seam means extra durability. We love our shirts, so we hope our customers love them too and want to wear them for as long as they can.
3. Unique neckline finish - Our t-shirts do not have the traditional ribbed finish on the neckline. Instead, we opted to use a shaped facing that gives the shirts a cleaner and dressier feel. This cleaner neckline can go anywhere with you, from office to weekend to a dressier night out.
Our V-Neck also uses what we call a "Roman V-Neck" which is a uniquely elegant and refined shape exclusive to PRE- that is somewhere between a "V" and a "U".
4. Clean finished hem - We chose to double-fold and clean-finish the hem of the tees. Although this is also an extra effort to construct compared to single-folded over-locked hems on regular tees, we just want our tees to be truly perfect throughout.
5. Rayon blend material – Rayon is a material that allows for better drape, higher sheen, and overall a softer hand.
6. Historical graphic - Each shirt features original, exclusive graphic artwork created by our talented team, all of which is the result of in-depth conceptualization, research for visual interpretation, and a multitude of drafts.
7. Story on back label - On the back label of every shirt is a concise explanation of the inspiration and historical context of the front graphic researched and written by our team of nerds.
MADE LOCALLY IN LOS ANGELES
All the tees will be constructed and printed right here in Los Angeles. We did this for three important reasons: 1) increased control over development and production which leads to 2) generally higher standard of finished product and 3) we believe in supporting and creating meaningful relationships with local businesses and suppliers.
Since we've pitched in our own personal savings to do the sampling, all the vendors are setup--we just need your help to get the rest going!
TRYING SOMETHING NEW: LASTING QUALITY AND MEANING
All of this attention to detail is what it’s all about. We are not looking to create yet another tee shirt brand that uses the same generic American Apparel fit, or the same meaningless, trendy graphics out there.
Your support helps to make our brand different. We could use blank tees and manufacture overseas, but we think there are hundreds of brands that already do that, and we think it's time to invest in brands and products that offer something new and lasting. That's how we calculated the amount we are asking for--that's why we are matching it with our own blood, sweat and tears.
We want to create something truly unique in the name of what we feel is important: knowledge, creativity, individual style, self-education, and beauty.
OUR FIRST COLLECTION
For each collection of PRE-, there will be an overarching theme that tells stories with historical facts and narratives. This season, the theme is Spies Like Us: the History of Espionage.
However, the second collection is coming up soon and we also need your investment to keep PRE- going!
Here are the designs for the first collection, which we need your support to produce!
PRE-ORDER YOUR SHIRT TODAY!
We are essentially using Kickstarter as an outlet for Pre-orders. With each pledge, not only will YOU get some awesome products and gifts, we will be able to fund the production and printing of our shirts to be shipped out in January. Your support will also help to fund the website, packaging, and to expand production and launch the brand into the future!
We carefully calculated the total amount we need for this Kickstarter based on the the fact that we are using premium cut-and-sew construction and locally-run small businesses that will result in an extremely unique and quality garment. Instead of being another brand out of hundreds that produce the same old blank tees with same old graphics, PRE- is something special, new and worth your investment.
That investment amount is matched by our immense dedication and hard work to fulfilling the promise of this brand.
The second collection is coming up in a few months too--help us keep PRE- going to make style history!
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT!!!
Risks and challenges
The risks and challenges for this project are pretty straight-forward: fashion is an extremely competitive marketplace. Each day, contemporary brands succeed and fail.
Because of this, the deciding factors (like most industries) for success are all contingent on the relevance of the product and brand, and the competence of the company behind them:
The first reason we will succeed where other may fall short: we have a strong team with a variety and depth of experience that give us an advantage in the marketplace. Stephanie has two degrees in Business and Fashion Design, Wendy is an alumni of University of Berkeley's renowned fine arts program and has deep experience in both fashion product design, development, and art direction, Kemon has years of experience in graphic production and design, and Larry has spent the bulk of his career in contemporary fashion building brands and collections.
All of us have gone through our 10,000 hours. We have the acumen, experience, and work ethic to succeed in this industry. We also have the passion to continually improve, and excel, whereas many fashion brands disappear due to lack of planning, understanding of the market, and/or skills to sustain its relevancy.
We truly love and believe in our work and products. Though it took a whole lot of sweat and hard work to take our team to the stage we’re at today, we did it with good times and laughter – because we invested our hearts too.
OUR PRODUCT AND BRAND
We have excellent product and brand experience. The shirt itself reflects the intelligence, attention to detail, and craft that is at the heart of PRE-.
Our products will succeed in a marketplace that has seen enormous contraction in an economic recession. Where others are cutting corners and lowering the quality of their product while cashing in on the equity built by their brands, PRE- is going back to what is essential for success: unique, quality product.
After the Great Recession, people are now more conscious about how they spend their money than in past decades. With PRE- we are building a brand that values high-end details and unique storytelling in a sea of poorly-made "Imported" product with the same fit and superficial branding.
PRE- is in the interest of creating and making things that are made to last, not made to trash.
Our risk assessment is based on the fact that our Strengths and Opportunities outweigh the Weaknesses and Threats. We have an advantage in our team and in our tees and that's why we're going to KILL IT!!!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
No need to worry about this now. Just make sure you choose the correct "pledge" level for the combo you want. We will ask you which tee and size you want after the campaign is successfully funded!
Support this project
- (15 days)