PowerSquare Tango featured on Daytime TV Show
Convenience at its best
Charge your phone anywhere on the pad. No more looking for a sweet spot!
World's First Multi-Device Wireless Charger
Charge two devices simultaneously - Our patent pending Adaptive Position-Free system enables seamless charging of multiple devices
Works with all Qi compliant devices
Every phone that integrates wireless charging today is Qi complaint. Qi guarantees future proof designs. Tango will always work with Qi compliant phones even when new enhancements to Qi specification are introduced.
We started PowerSquare with a vision of creating a value added consumer devices brand for mobile power management that enhances usability for consumers
Among the many mobile accessories, we identified wireless power as one of the key focus areas in our roadmap. The reasons are two fold:
- Firstly, our know-how of the technology and the ecosystem. We as a team collectively have more than 90 years of industry experience in the electronics, battery and power management area. Our key members have worked with every major OEM and consortia playing a key role in commercializing wireless power as we know today
- Secondly, it aligns perfectly well with our vision of creating valued added mobile devices brand. In the area of wireless power we aim to bridge the technology gap and create differentiated solutions for the marketplace that enables consumers to leverage the benefits right away rather than waiting for the technology to evolve.
After deciding to build a product in the wireless power space, we tried multiple industrial designs using existing one coil and 3 coil solutions. But as a team, we were not happy with the overall user experience. We wanted to take our system a bit further and develop a product that pushes the boundaries and gives us an edge over everything else out there. We set ourselves three goals:
- A position-free transmitter that allows the user to place the phone anywhere on the pad
- Ability to charge multiple devices at a time – we finally decided to support two devices to ensure optimal system cost vs market adoption
- Most importantly, our system should work with all Qi devices – we picked Qi since it has widest adoption so far.
The Adaptive Position-Free System (APF)
There are many demos out in the market that show multi-device charging. None of them have been in production. We wanted to ensure we didn't fall in that category.
Based on our experience we knew that we had to build a multi coil system to provide a wide charge area. We knew it had to be more coils than just 3 to ensure a large charging area. After countless hours of experimenting across multiple magnetics designs, system configurations and algorithms, we finally developed our patent pending magnetics and software algorithm and the APF system was born.
APF System PCB and Magnetics Stack
Evolution of the APF system
APF System Evaluation
System testing - We tested and validated multiple configurations and test scenarios until we were satisfied with the performance.
Here is REV 0..It didn't have a name...we had to hide the electronics in a box. :-)
Rev 2 Electronics
The WAR Board - oh boy, all those late nights, pizzas and nightmares...the team doesn't want to wipe this board...ever :-) so with your help we may retire it on to a wall in the office :-)
Compatibility with Qi Devices
As this was our top priority, we ensured all experiments and developments were based on Qi protocol. The Tango pad works with any current or future device that is built to be Qi compliant.
There are multiple use cases:
1. Phones with built-in Qi functionality: With these phones you just have to place them on the Tango pad to start charging.
2. Phones available with Back covers: The phone is manufactured with back covers which have wireless charging receiver circuit embedded into them. Most of these compatible sleeves are available on Amazon
3. All other phones: There are many wireless power receiver adaptors available on amazon that will add wireless power capability to your phone. We are offering a version that should work with most phones android/windows as part of the Android/Windows Starter Combo pledge.
Universal Micro USB Wireless Receiver for Android/Windows phones
Add wireless power capability to your phone
4. iPhones: Dedicated iPhone cases are available on Amazon that add Qi functionality to the phone. We are offering a iPhone case as part of the pledges. iPhone case is now compatible with 6, 6S, 6 Plus and 6S Plus. Sorry we don't have 5S versions at this time. Our iPhone case also includes a micro USB connector so you can charge with a cable without removing the case. We understand that some people love the extra micro USB connector and some don't. There are other options available on Amazon that will fit your need.
Note: We always recommend using Apple approved accessories
Apple approved iPhone Case now compatible with iPhone 6, 6S, 6 Plus and 6S Plus - A Kickstarter Exclusive @ 50% off Retail Price
Using Tango with iPhone Sleeve
Having done extensive testing on the APF system, we decided on the X and Y size of the Tango pad to provide optimal combination of look, feel, portability and performance. Once we had the size locked in, we evaluated 100s of designs and zeroed in on the final design. Images below show Tango's progress from humble beginnings to its final form.
Pencil sketches of various designs
3D Modelling and Prototyping
After various iterations of modeling and prototyping, we finalized the two piece top design. We build various prototypes to ensure the overall structure was light weight and sturdy at the same time.
Fine-tuning the Design and Tooling
This was lot more difficult than we expected. One key aspect we looked at was that we didn't want Tango to look like just another geeky device. Lot of our feedback was to make the product look good on a side table at home. We decided on the two piece top cover design that would enable us to cater to many color variations down the road.
We have received lots of kudos for the color and design. So proud of the young team to make this happen.
Move from single piece top cover to two piece giving us a lot of flexibility on color variations down the road
We evaluated the entire system at each stage. We added these spacers to increase the air gap between the coils and top plate that helped in thermal management
3D model of the final plastics
Our adaptor comes with the following interchangeable plugs. All shipments will include this adaptor except for Early Bird USA shipments which will include a USA only plug.
Image below shows end connector dimensions of the adaptor
Where are we today?
We have shipped a small set a units to customers and reviewers and have received great reviews. We have a strong supply chain in place to support production runs. Our manufacturing partners have years of experience in developing wireless power solutions that will ensure Tango is manufactured with utmost care and precision.
Kickstarter is a vibrant and wonderful community that we would love to be part of. We thank and respect every backer for their contribution and we responsibly commit to deliver Tango. We also promise to continue to work on more innovations in this futuristic field.
Your support will help us achieve the following:
- Increase the reach of the product
- Introduce exciting variants of Tango
- Execute on our roadmap of innovative products
Help us spread the word
We have put in a lot of effort to make TANGO a reality. We need your support to spread its reach and allow us to continue developing innovative products like TANGO. Please share, tweet, follow and subscribe to our social medial channels and help us spread the word.
Risks and challenges
PowerSquare team brings in almost 100 years of experience in product development and has helped leading OEMs bring their end products to market. Such experience is vital in handling the inevitable risks involved in product development and launch. PowerSquare has done extensive research with pending patents and now is product ready with its flagship APF technology based Tango wireless charging pad. We have partnered with reputed manufacturing partners and fulfillment service providers to ensure your pledges will be delivered on time and as promised.
While we have taken care to ensure all engineering, manufacturing and logistics risks are mitigated, we may face unexpected delays in the process of procuring components and lead times etc. Should we face any such delays, we will ensure that we quickly communicate the same with you and work towards resolving the issues as soon as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)