An epic strategy game for two players telling the story of a siege
An epic strategy game for two players telling the story of a siege
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Mon, November 25 2019 5:00 PM UTC +00:00.
This edition of Stronghold Undead is rich in stunning components. This is a true Kickstarter project. Every project can be better though and even more awesome! :)
Here are some add-ons you can choose from to customize your copy of the game!
- The board features a new layout for wall sections and towers, it is different than in the previous edition.
- Some Necromancer spells have been removed, and new spells are introduced.
- The Council deck has been removed from the base game. It is now included in a mini-expansion dedicated to experienced players.
- The Phantom Dragon has been removed from the base game. It is now included in a mini-expansion dedicated to experienced players.
- Necromancer spells have dedicated rounds when they can be played to help create an interesting story arch with different spells played in different rounds.
- Rulebook has been written again from scratch by the team who wrote the rulebook for our previous KS release, Pret-a-Porter, which received very good feedback from backers.
- The main board has been visually redesigned for a more immersive experience.
- All cards and tokens have been given a new layout.
- This is up to you! We have many stretch goals for our Kickstarter campaign which, when unlocked, will improve the game components.
Stronghold: Undead is a complex game designed specifically for two players. It may be compared to games like Star Wars Rebellion or Twilight Struggle—it takes approximately two hours to play, and offers players a variety of interesting strategies and options. With five Defender buildings each offering four unique actions, and 24 unique spells for the Invader, the core game offers countless permutations of tactical decisions and situations. In this campaign, we aim to unlock many mini-expansions, like Council, Phantom Dragon, or Bone Thrower, each of which would offer many new options to experienced players.
Stronghold: Undead is one of the most thematic games designed by Ignacy Trzewiczek, author of Robinson Crusoe, Detective, and other Board Games That Tell Stories. The game has a very rich theme, and delivers an immersive experience over the seven rounds of the siege. The tension builds slowly, as the evil forces assail the walls of the Pearl Keep and the outnumbered defenders desperately attempt to hold them back. With every round that passes, the fall of the fortress feels more imminent.
Stronghold: Undead is a fully asymmetric game, with each player given completely different tools and means to achieve victory. The Invader has the upper hand. With an army of nearly 150 units, 24 unique spells, and dozens of ways to generate their dark energy, they are well equipped to capture the fortress. They choose which spells to cast to support the relentless progress of their evil army. The Defender, on the other hand, has to cope with severe restrictions on absolutely everything, and have no means to obtain more. Soldiers, resources, and items have strict limits enforced by the components—they can have no more than three copies of each. They have fewer than 30 units defending their walls. They have no action points, and no way to act unless given action points by the Invader. Power versus desperation. Control versus dependence. Tyranny versus courage. The asymmetry is unlike any other game you’ve experienced before.
The game shines when you play against someone who is familiar with it. Because it rewards players with experience, it is not an ideal experience if one player is a complete novice. It is not a good introductory game, or one that you can pull out against a different, new opponent each week. Due to the low randomness, the player who owns/knows the game well will have a distinct advantage. It is best for players who have a regular opponent against which they can play.
The game offers so many options each round that it might generate analysis paralysis in players who are prone to it. Both players have a rich pool of available actions—the castle has dozen of spaces to attack and defend, and both players must consider each of these potential directions. The large decision space may overwhelm or slow players faced with the choices offered by the game.
The theme of the game may be controversial for some. The original Stronghold was set in a generic fantasy setting. Stronghold: Undead introduces elements of dark magic, necromancy, death, ghosts, vampires, and religious ideas. The theme is strongly and vividly rendered, and this may make some players uncomfortable. There are players for whom this could be an issue.
This is not the final rulebook. We appreciate your feedback and comments about this early version.
Leave us comments and give us feedback HERE!
We've received numerous questions about Pledge Manager and if it would be possible to acquire any other Portal Games products through it. We've considered it thoroughly, and we're happy to let you know that part of our catalog will be available in Pledge Manager to add to your Stronghold: Undead pledge. Keep in mind that you won't have to wait long for all of them - with an established delivery for August 2020, you will be able to enjoy all of these games in about nine months.
Just keep in mind, that with any game(s) added in the Pledge Manager the final Shipping Cost will differ from the costs presented in the table below. Pledge Manager will automatically calculate your actual shipping costs.
Additionally in the Pledge Manager you will be able to choose a language edition - currently we have English, Polish, and German editions confirmed.
Here at Portal Games, we have a great experience both in production and delivery. We’ve been making high-quality games and delivering them all over the world for many years.
We are fully focused on the delivery of the games to all backers in August 2020. Unlike in the Pret-a-Porter campaign, this time we are using fulfillment hubs to deliver the games to you without additional customs fees (EU, USA, Canada and Australia friendly shipping!). Games will be manufactured in China and then travel by sea to the fulfillment partners. You can order more copies to lower the shipping price per copy. We have great offers for our domestic shipping, but we hope that all of you will find our offer appealing. These costs are still estimates, but it is highly unlikely that we will increase them, unless you will go crazy and push us to create too many stretch goals :).
We will be charging these costs based on the actual cost of shipping, and collect them through the pledge manager after the campaign ends.
We do not ship to Russia, Ukraine, Kazachstan.
As you may know the EU and the UK have reached an agreement to push the deadline for Brexit to January the 31st. Stronghold is going to be delivered to you in August 2020, which means that shipping prices for UK may increase. We’ll do our best to keep you informed about the details and to keep the price as low as possible.
Stronghold Undead is our second Kickstarter campaign. The previous one, Prêt-à-Porter, was a big success - we shipped the games according to the schedule (slightly above 2 months after the campaign ended). Even though we are very proud of this first campaign in general, we did make a couple of mistakes, and we learned a lot. Here are our most important lessons we learned from the previous campaign:
- Friendly shipping - in our first campaign, we did not manage to offer our supporters the best shipping options possible. We learned during the campaign about shipping hubs and third-party companies that help along the way. In this campaign, we have much better shipping rates for different regions. Besides, our backers from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, US and EU will enjoy no customs fees!
- More frequent communication - in our first campaign, we had a model to post on average one update per week (most often on Mondays). We learned it is not enough in some situations. In this campaign, we will keep you posted more frequently.
- FAQ is important - during the previous campaign, we did not post FAQ for many days. Now we know how important it is, and we also know which questions are most frequent. In this campaign, the FAQ will be posted from day 0 and will be updated along the way.
- Community manager - in the previous campaign, all the comments were answered by Ignacy Trzewiczek himself, which was respectful for the backers that the designer responds personally. Still, with the number of comments, he did not manage to answer every piece of feedback you left. For this campaign, we have a dedicated community manager who will be with you almost 24/7 during the campaign. Ignacy will still be present and jump here and there, but the communication will be much better with one person fully dedicated to the campaign.
If you have any questions about this campaign, please contact us at portal(at)portalgames.pl
We have a limited offer for retailers interested in purchasing the Kickstarter edition of the game, which will include all of the unlocked stretch goals.
For details on this one and only chance to get the Kickstarter edition in your store, please reach out to one of the below contacts, depending on your region:
- United States and Canada contact Luke Otfinowski: Luke@PortalGamesUS.com
- All other regions contact Marcin Dudek: Marcin.Dudek@PortalGames.PL
Following the campaign, a single print-run of the retail version of the game will be available through distribution. Please note, the retail version will not contain any Kickstarter exclusives.
Thank you for supporting Portal Games!
Risks and challenges
Portal Games has been present on the market since 1999. Over these years, the company has successfully published more than 200 games and expansions!
Though the company has been around for 20 years, this is our second time being on Kickstarter. Our team of industry veterans has tremendous experience and is extremely excited to expand onto this platform!
Even so, we’ve done our research and we’re aware that one of the main risks of every Kickstarter project is the risk of possible delays. These may be caused by many different factors, such as production, shipping, and customs. The game and all components will be produced in Poland, so it will not have to travel halfway around the world before being shipped to backers. Due to the logistics of international shipping, backers in different regions of the world may receive their rewards sooner than others.
We’ve done our best to minimize those risks as much as possible, and we will be more than happy to refund you if, for any unforeseen reasons, we are unable to deliver the game to you. With that being said, we’ve been successfully delivering games all over the world for years, and do not expect to encounter such an extreme situation.
Please note that even though the game is 90% finished, this is not a pre-order and the final product might change slightly. We are fully devoted to creating an amazing experience during your game nights and you can trust us that every choice we make will only be aimed at improving the standard of the final product.
As mentioned previously, the game and all components will be produced in Poland, to the high quality standards that we hold for any of our games.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter