“While Judging a “Show Us What You Got” small business fair at SNHU, I saw the Popzup Popcorn product and thought it was fun, smart and loved the eco-friendly aspects of the design!” -Local Celebrity Chef Nicole Barreira, Corporate Chef / Marketing Manager, Great NH Restaurants Bedford, NH
“Check out this cool new way to pop popcorn!” -Portsmouth Herald Editor Rachel Forrest; Restaurant Critic & Wine Me, Dine Me Columnist
Coolest gift this season! Your pledge will be delivered by December 24th.
The Popzup Popper is Safe, Fun, and Easy. It’s a Totally New Way to Microwave Air Popped Popcorn.
Conventional microwave popcorn is really bad for you. We love the convenience but not all the toxic chemicals and unhealthy hydrogenated oils. We used “out of the box” thinking to develop our “in the box” solution. Our patent pending Popzup Popper is the perfect microwave popcorn popper.
Freedom to Flavor: It's Your Choice!
Enjoy pure air popped popcorn right out of the Popzup Popper or pour into a bowl to add olive oil, butter, cheese, peanut butter, truffle salt, or any seasonings your in the mood for enjoying. It’s your choice!
Popzup Popper Features:
- Expands up as the popcorn pops.
- Vents steam as it pops for crunchy deliciousness.
- Cool popcorn shaped handles for taking the Popzup out of the microwave is as stylish as they are functional.
- Reusable and comes with 12 popcorn kernel pouches to pop 12 batches.
- Recyclable, compostable, and earth-friendly.
- Made from chemical-free, uncoated, virgin paperboard with no recycled or bleached content.
- Printed with food grade based inks.
- Made in Massachusetts at a 3rd generation family owned box company. The owner made it his personal mission to ensure the Popzup Popper exceeds our high standards.
- Patent Pending invention and design.
That’s a Lot of Popcorn!
- Each Popzup Popper weighs 2 pounds!
- It comes with 12 pouches of kernels to pop 12 large batches of hot, fresh, popcorn deliciousness.
- Each pouch pops 1 batch, totaling 10 cups (2 ½ quarts) of popcorn.
- The 12 pouches pop 12 batches, totaling 120 cups (30 quarts) of popcorn. That's a lot of popcorn that each Popzup Popper pops!
- Affordable - Suggested retail price per batch will be comparable to conventional microwave popcorn bags.
About Popzup Popper Popcorn:
- Non-GMO and Gluten Free
- Low Calorie (only 31 calories per cup)
- High in Fiber and Cholesterol Free
- 100% Whole Grain with Antioxidants, Vitamin B and Protein
- Weight Watchers Power Foods List Approved
- Freedom to Choose: enjoy pure air-popped popcorn right out of the Popzup Popper or pour into a bowl to add olive oil, butter, and any seasonings your in the mood for enjoying. It’s your choice!
- Approved for schools under the USDA 2015 Smart Snacks in Schools Standards.
- Popcorn kernels come from a sustainable 4th generation owned family popcorn company in Pennsylvania. Owners personally selected the Golden Butterfly Popcorn variety for the Popzup Popper because it pops big, sweet, crunchy, and delicious!
Why do you want a Popzup Popper?
- Holiday Gifting - Popzup Popper is attractive and stylish making it a perfect gift. And who doesn’t love popcorn? It’s one of the most popular snack foods (the average American eats 51 quarts per year). Be the first to give everyone a Popzup Popper this holiday season.
- Party Hostess Gift - it’s the gift that keeps popping long after the party is over.
- At Home - enjoy hot, fresh popcorn watching sports, movies, after school, when company drops by, or just when you need an anytime snack.
- Away From Home - a healthy snack at work, school, on the road, or in your college dorm.
- Vacationing - helps you make smart snacking choices in while traveling in campers, hotels, and vacation rentals.
Why did we invent the Popzup Popper?
Because we know conventional microwave popcorn is really, really bad for you. We love the convenience but not all the bad chemicals and unhealthy hydrogenated oils.
Conventional Microwave Popcorn Contains:
- Perfluorooctanoic (PFOA) is a chemical coating used to keep oil from absorbing into the bag. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has identified PFOA as a “likely carcinogen.”
- Diacetyl is a chemical used to add a butter smell and flavor to conventional microwave popcorn. It has been linked to a serious lung condition called bronchiolitis obliterans, which is a condition that causes swelling and scarring of the lungs.
- Hydrogenated Oil is vegetable oil that’s chemically altered to increase shelf life and stay solid at room temperature, and has well documented negative health effects.
- Susceptor is a triangle or strip of metalized film and/or PET plastic film (used in plastic bottles) needed to super-heat the hydrogenated oil.
How did we invent the Popzup Popper?
We have many years of experience developing products and packaging. So we knew we could find a better, healthy way to microwave popcorn. First we dissected conventional microwave bags and studied popcorn. It took several years testing dozens of different combinations of boxes, bags and papers to come up with the perfect combination. Our local box company helped us by making prototypes of our Popzup Popper design. We tested them in dozens of microwaves. The Popzup Popper does everything we hoped for- it pops safe, delicious fresh popcorn. It’s microwave popcorn perfected!
What do we need the money for?
The Popzup Popper is ready to go into production. Our suppliers are all set, even our filling machine is designed and coming from a local machine shop. We’ve invested lots of time and money. But to get to the next step requires expensive cutting dies and the capitol to manufacture our Popzup Poppers and popcorn kernels at a volume discount.
This is where we need your help. By backing our kickstarter through pre-ordering Popzup Poppers, you will help to bring safe and healthy microwave popcorn to everyone and be the one of the first have this popping delicious goodness at home. We are truly grateful for your support of our Popzup Popper Kickstarter Campaign.
We can’t do it without YOU!
Your Popzup Popper pre-orders will allow us to purchase:
- Box cutting machine dies
- Filling machines
- We need clean, new, virgin paperboard to ensure the Popzup Popper is safe (all other unbleached paperboard has recycled content than can be toxic). So we have to purchase an entire days run at the mill, enough for 20,000 Popzup Poppers.
Stretch goal that exceeds our Kickstarter goal of $17,000 will allow is to purchase the following:
- Faster, upgraded filling and assembly machines
- Larger quantities to secure reduced per unit pricing
- Trade show and event fees
- Marketing collateral
A Great Big Thank You to all the following for their professional, passionate, and creative work that made this Kickstarter Campaign and the Popzup Popper possible!
- Tony DiRico, Byron Brandow, Jen Baldasaro, and the many great people we have been working with at HUB Folding Box. - Thank you for all your time, creativity, and attention to details.
- John Earl - Professional Photographer. Thank you for stopping by to have some popcorn & BBQ fun, and capture it for our video.
- Nate Gilbert - Social Media Expert. Thank you for taking time away from your family to educate us on PPC.
- Jefferson Hendricks (affectionately known as RJ to us) - Professional Singer/Songwriter. Thank you for the absolutely killer Popzup Song!
- Douglas Higgins - World Renown Artist, Painter, and Professor at Ringling School of Art & Design. Thank you for the creating outrageously beautiful paintings seen throughout the video.
- Mike Higgins and Dave Reist - Owners of Reist Popcorn Company. Thank you for working with us to find the best popcorn kernel for the Popzup Popper and for ethically preserving your farm for future generations to enjoy.
- Dour Johnson from Galaxy 61 - Animator extraordinaire! Thank you for bringing our Popzup Popper to life.
- Tasha McCartney - Social Media and Marketing Intern. Thank you for all your dedication and great ideas! We welcome Tasha as the first Popzup Popper employee.
- Will Moose - Mechanical Engineer. Thank you for all your creative time invested in designing the perfect filling and assembling machines for our Popzup Popper.
- Dave Rupp - Editorial Photographer at WGAL News in Pennsylvania. Thank you for you excellent and beautiful video documentary while we visited the popcorn company.
- Cesar O Gonzalez Tellez - Web Engineer. Thank you for spending countless hours creating our website vision.
- Mike Tridenti - Video Editor. Thank you for all your great creative ideas and for working with us until it was perfect.
- Tom White - Designer/Illustrator Extraordinaire. Thank you for your fun and modern popcorn illustration.
Risks and challenges
There are risks and challenges associated with any new endeavor. Our goal from the beginning was to partner with bright, seasoned, and exceptionally talented professional local companies.
In every instance the owners have been directly involved in our project from the start; from the 4th generation family owned popcorn farm, to the local engineer that designed our automatic filling machines, and the prestigious family owned local box manufacturing company that has been in business since 1918. We couldn’t be more pleased.
Although we have spent months planning every detail of design, production, and fulfillment, there are always unforeseen problems that can occur. Some issues that may present problems are bad weather delays and equipment failure. Just as we designed the Popzup Popper to solve the health risks associated with conventional microwave popcorn, so will we conquer unforeseen problems as they arise. Working with local companies ensures that, should problems arise, they will be there to quickly to remediate.
Thank you for your confidence in our experience and ability to deliver your Popzup Poppers.
- (35 days)