Welcome to the campaign to create the PolyHero Wizard Set!
Last year we ran a Kickstarter to produce a set of imaginative dice, the Warrior Set, and thanks to 2000+ supporters they are now a reality! Now it's time to get together and summon a series of special dice for spell-casters! The Wizard Set is once again the classic 7-piece set of RPG dice (plus special Kickstarter bonuses - see below), and this time we are also going for fancy and fittingly magical looking materials.
You will be able to choose your colors and Level Up Packs pledged for after the campaign with a pledge manager we will send you. Check out the FAQ at the bottom of this page for more information.
Note: the 3D printing process leaves small artefacts on the models (visible in the video) that won't be present in the final production.
PolyHero Dice are modelled and tested using 3D modelling software, then 3D printed for further testing. We don't claim the dice are as balanced as casino machined dice, but we design them using principles such as centre-of-mass and lines of symmetry, to make sure the dice are fully functional and randomized for general use.
From Warrior to Wizard... what's new and why?
- We are reducing the price per set, and once again offering growing discounts when backing for multiple sets. The Wizard Set won't be packed in a multi-purpose hard case like the Warrior Set (for Kickstarter or at retail). As cool as it is, the case adds a cost to producing the product that understandably many people might not see the value in. So the Wizard Set (and eventually the Warrior Set) will now be packed in a bag or clam shell.
- We are using fancier, more expensive materials and ink for the dice, including pearlized, and transparent materials.
- We are charging $4 shipping worldwide (proportionately decreasing as you back for more sets). We've decided it is a lot easier for us to manage our budget with the shipping costs upfront and scaling to the number of sets backed for.
- We will deliver the dice to backers at least a month prior to retail or convention release. This was always the intent with the Warrior Set, but there were extenuating circumstances that meant the dice were available at GenCon while they were still on the way to some backers. Game Salute kindly air freighted the dice from the factory (for their booth at GenCon, and also for the Kickstarter backers). As a result Kickstarter backers got their dice two months earlier than if we'd had to sea freight them, but it meant that there was a small amount of overlap in where they were available first. The plan moving forward with this and future campaigns is that backers will always get their dice well before retail or convention goers.
- We are adding a matching 2-sided spell book to every Wizard Set purchased as part of the Kickstarter (the spell books won't be in the retail version of the dice)!
- We added the Spell Book as an "instant stretch goal". As soon as we hit the base funding goal it was added to every Wizard Set purchased (in a color matching the Wizard Set). The spell book is a special limited die that won't be available in the retail edition, but may down the track be available at conventions or as a promotion in limited quantities.
- We unlocked 10 unique colors, including two Adventure Colors.
- We're retooling and creating more moulds so we can offer of specific dice, such as d6 or d20. See Wizard Level Up Packs.
- We have added the option to pledge for a special Wizard's Hat d20 at a discount price.
- We unlocked a bonus Electrum and Alabaster spell book die to every Wizard Set and one for any Level Up Reward level pledge of $15 or higher (not including shipping).
The success of this campaign, your enthusiasm and your ideas, have us looking to future sets with a clearer purpose and confidence, and wanting to invest the momentum and funds raised in this campaign towards that vision and those future sets. A goal being to be able to work on more ideas and designs, and take a lot less time to produce and deliver them to you.
We think if we can design the dice with your feedback, make all the moulds, and get deep into the production sampling, all ahead of a campaign, then we could radically increase our capacity and turnaround for delivery, and go from 1 set a year, up to 2 or 3. It would also make for better campaigns as we would have all the moulds at the start and make Level Up Packs available immediately, then focus on different kinds of stretch goals. We'd essentially be able to start from deeper into the campaign and then build from there.
So we’ve scoped out two "Think Big" stretch goals. Even if we don't hit these grand goals, the campaign has been a huge boost to the future of PolyHero Dice, and extra funds from the Wizard campaign will still be invested into future sets, but these "PolyHero Quest Goals" mark the levels of funding where we can officially and publicly set the listed expectations for the next set/s.
PolyHero Dice Games
The Warrior Set
During the Wizard Set campaign the Warrior Set (in the deluxe hard case) will be available from PolyHero.com. You of course won't need to wait for the Warrior Set as it is already made! Knight Fight is also available. If you want the Warrior Set sent to you with the Wizard Set, then see the FAQ below.
PolyHero Dice are the result of a creative collaboration between brothers Dann and Greg May. We've worked together in the visual arts for more than 20 years, as graphic designers, artists and 3D animators. We've also played Dungeons and Dragons (and other RPGs) together from an early age, starting with the red boxed Basic Set. This project is a labour of love for us; to create imaginative, 3D-sculpted custom dice for a favourite hobby, and for the pure joy of holding and rolling them.
Dann May is a visual artist, animator and graphic designer. Since 2015 has been the resident art/creative director and artist at tabletop game publisher Game Salute, where he has worked on numerous board and card games including Nothing Personal, King's Forge, Legends of the American Frontier and Planetarium.
Greg May is a professional 3D Animator and Modeller with over 20 years in the industry working on projects including children's television programs, medical animation and live event installations. He also freelances creating high end rendered images of board games, and created the art for the upcoming board game Planetarium.
For more information visit polyhero.com
Dice Maniacs' Club
We're members of the Dice Maniac's Club! If you love dice, weird dice, cool dice, interesting, surprising, beautiful dice, and you'd like to share your hobby with a welcoming and respectful community, then be sure to join us.
Thanks to Kevin, Michael, and all the Dice Maniacs for their support, guidance and encouragement over the journey. It means a lot!
For more information on customs friendly shipping, click here.
Risks and challenges
We learned a lot about making custom dice through our experience making the Warrior Set, which was successfully delivered thanks to a lot of work and support.
We know that it will take time to get any custom dice, with as much going on as PolyHero Dice, created. That's why we've completed all the 3D modelling up front and allowed until May 2017 to complete production and deliver the dice. Our goal is to deliver them as soon as possible, and ultimately we would like to be able to produce a new set every 6 months, but until we have proven that is possible, we won't presume to set a tighter target date.
We are also once again keeping this campaign very simple, with one set of designs in a growing variety of colors and ways to package them.
We'll as always provide you with updates at each major milestone of production and delivery. We appreciate your comments and feedback. We'll provide any changes inspired by your feedback in our updates. If you've got a question or comment, whether it's in person, via email, or on this project page, we appreciate it.
Sometimes, after a campaign successfully funds, life happens and a few people will want to cancel their pledge before the estimated delivery date. If that happens, just contact us and we'll be happy to make arrangements to process a full refund for you.
Thanks for supporting us in making our idea for these dice a reality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (15 days)