Click one of the links below to quickly access that section of the campaign description!
- Introduction - What is Musubi Cat?
- Backer Rewards
- How to Adjust Your Pledge
- Budget & Stretch Goals
- Tentative Timeline
- About the Artist
(the navigation is not perfect and will open a new tab each time, but it's the best I can do until Kickstarter allows us to add a menu to our campaigns!)
May 17: HOORAY, we have reached 100% funding!
May 14: new stretch goals have been announced!
May 9: all pins, keychains, and plush toys will now come with bonus stickers!
May 2: two new rewards and five new reward tiers have been introduced!
Hello, my name is JT! I am an artist & crafter and for the past six years I have been creating & selling kawaii handmade goods at my Etsy shop, Pocket Sushi. Having primarily focused on amigurumi (crochet dolls), I am now branching out into other forms of merchandise.
Last year I successfully fulfilled a Kickstarter campaign for enamel pins and this year I am aiming to produce my very first plush toy:
What is Musubi Cat?!
The Musubi Cat (unofficially, Myuu-subi) is inspired by an iconic snack from my home state of Hawaii, the spam musubi!
The musubi is a localized twist on the Japanese onigiri, made from canned spiced ham atop a ball of rice and wrapped in nori. This deliciously greasy handheld staple can be found in almost every food store & restaurant in Hawaii!
The Musubi Cat combines the horribly adorable cuteness of a cat with the compact saltiness of a musubi (but don't eat it!) and is based on one of my original amigurumi patterns! It measures about 5" (12.7cm) from adorably embroidered face to squishy bum and is made from faux minky.
Along with the Musubi Cat plush, this project will also fund the production of three new enamel pins!
- Musubi Cat: you've already met them!
- Ice Bunny: a bunny based off of Hawaiian shave ice (packed finely-shaved ice infused with flavored syrups & topped with condensed milk)
- Moco'Pus: an octopus based off loco moco (a hamburger patty smothered with gravy & a fried egg and served atop a scoop of rice)
The Musubi Cat pin will be black nickel-plated, while the Ice Bunny and Moco'Pus pins will be gold-plated. All three pins will measure about 1" (2.5cm) at their widest point and come with a butterfly clutch.
Why back this project today?
Producing a plush toy like this isn't cheap and I can only pay for so much out of pocket. Kickstarter works like pre-ordering: you select the item that you want to receive and go through the checkout process, but you won't be charged unless the project reaches at least 100% of its funding goal by the time this campaign ends (May 18 @ 11:59pm EST).
Also, don't dawdle--backing early will encourage others to join in! You won't get charged immediately, so you have time to prepare for when payments finally go through. And the sooner we meet the goal, the more likely this plush will become a reality, so don't wait until the final days!
Plus, if you back this project today, you will be eligible for the fine rewards listed below!
Support this project to receive backer rewards!
Along with the plush, there are other exciting things that you can receive when you back this project, like a fun DIY papercraft or a never-before-released pattern of the original amigurumi Musubi Cat! See below for the full list of rewards (all prices are in USD):
- $2 - PAPERCRAFT: Receive a printable PDF template to create your very own Musubi Cat papercraft! This reward is included with all tiers of $2 or more.
- $5 - PATTERN: Receive a PDF of the original Musubi Cat amigurumi pattern! This reward is included with all tiers of $5 or more.
- $10 - PIN: Receive a shiny 1-inch hard enamel pin of your choice!
- $15 - KEYCHAIN: Receive a handmade crochet spam musubi keychain!
- $20 - PLUSH: Receive your very own Musubi Cat plush!
- $30 - PIN SET: Receive all three enamel pins!
- $45 - MUSUBI FANATIC: Receive a Musubi Cat plush, a Musubi Cat enamel pin, and a handmade musubi keychain!
- $50 - ART: Receive a postcard-sized custom drawing of an animal-food hybrid suggested by YOU!
- $50 - BUNDLE: Receive a Musubi Cat plush and all three enamel pins!
- $65 - KEYCHAIN BUNDLE: Receive a Musubi Cat plush, all three enamel pins, and a handmade musubi keychain!
- $110 - SUPER ART BUNDLE: Receive a custom illustration, a Musubi Cat plush, all three enamel pins, and a handmade musubi keychain!
BONUS: Each pin or keychain comes with a random sticker and each plush will come with a complete set of four stickers! These stickers are free with a pin or plush pledge and will be $2 - $3 post-campaign.
More reward tiers may be added when we reach certain stretch goals!
Upgrade your reward with add-ons!
Don't see a reward tier that contains the number of items you want? You can increase your pledge amount according to the costs below and then after the campaign you will be able to select the items to add to your total rewards package!
- Enamel Pins: add $10 for each additional pin
- Handmade Keychain: add $15 for each additional keychain
- Plush: add $20 for each additional plush
If you pledge for a small item, and then later during the campaign want to add a higher value item to your total rewards package, please switch to the larger item's tier first, then include the smaller item(s) as add-ons (that way the correct shipping rate is selected).
You want a keychain, but also want two pins. Select the KEYCHAIN! reward, then add an extra $20 to your total to account for the two pins. You will be able to select the pins after the campaign via a survey!
Limited rewards, like custom artwork, are unavailable as add-ons and you will need to switch to that tier, then add the other items to it.
Additional Shipping Fees
- United States: add $5 if you are ordering 6 or more plush
- Canada: add $5 if you are ordering 3 or more plush
- Everywhere Else: add $9 if you are ordering 3 or more plush
I am aware that math can get complicated, so if you require assistance calculating your new pledge amount, please send me a message!
How to adjust your pledge for add-ons:
When making your pledge, increase the number under "Pledge amount"
if you have already pledged, you can edit it by clicking "Manage your pledge" near the top of the page, then click "Change your pledge" on the following page.
The initial goal of $6,400 will cover plush & pin production, shipping & handling, and Kickstarter's processing fees.
Costs have the potential to change, especially for postage. Any funds left over after everything has been paid for will go towards product improvements and bonus items!
- $6,600: All pins will be upgraded to a deluxe locking clutch & all bonus stickers will be upgraded to vinyl!
- [LOCKED] $7,200: A Sushi Cat PVC keychain will be included with all physical reward tiers!
- [LOCKED] $8,000: A Sushi Cat pencil pouch will be included with all reward tiers containing a plush and/or pin set!
- More stretch goals will be revealed as we hit milestones!
Tentative project timeline:
- April 18 - May 18, 2018: Kickstarter campaign
- May 18 - 31, 2018: backer payments are processed
- June 1, 2018: surveys go out and the add-ons shop opens for backers. Backers who've selected art tiers will be contacted around this time to discuss their reward.
- June/July 2018: the plush, pins, and other rewards go into production and eventually ship to my home
- August 2018: the survey & add-on shop close and rewards begin shipping out to backers!
All changes or delays in timeline will be announced under the Updates tab and on social media!
Who are we?!
Pocket Sushi is a one-man arts & crafts operation established in 2012 and based out of Pittsburgh, PA. With over 3,000 individually hand-made items sold, Pocket Sushi is now branching out into mass-manufactured designs to ease the load on its artist's weary hands.
JT is a queer trans man of Filipino descent and the sole creator & operator of Pocket Sushi. He works as a full-time web developer, part-time crafter, and free-time illustrator. Born & raised in Hawaii, he often uses its incredibly diverse culture as inspiration for Pocket Sushi's products.
Find Pocket Sushi online at the following:
Credits: Round flag icons © Freepik. Earth icon © turkkub. Icons are from www.flaticon.com and licensed under CC 3.0 BY. Video music "Cute" © Bensound and licensed under CC BY-ND 3.0. Photo of spam musubi on a blue plate © Atsushi Hirao and used under license from Shutterstock.com.
Risks and challenges
I have six years of experience in processing & shipping online orders both domestically & internationally. Last year I also fulfilled a successful Kickstarter campaign for a series of enamel pins!
Once this project is funded, the biggest risk would be any queue delays at the manufacturer. I have included a buffer in the initial goal just in case I underestimate any expenses.
I will regularly post news about production & processing to the Updates tab of this page, as well as on social media platforms.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)