Live... from your living room!
About Pocket Concerts
Pocket Concerts presents intimate, highly sociable, family-friendly concerts in people's living rooms all over Toronto. As part of our upcoming 2015-2016 season, we will present at least 8 top-quality house concerts in our hosts' homes, all of which will be open to the public through ticket sales.
Since starting Pocket Concerts in 2013, we have been teaming up with our hosts to provide the ultimate chamber music experience: listening to fantastic music played by some of Canada's best chamber musicians, all in the intimate and comfortable environment of our hosts' living rooms.
We are passionate about bringing people together through the shared experience of music at home. We believe that being close to the performers provides a more intense listening experience, and creates real emotional connections among people.
In our first two seasons, we have presented 17 concerts, and have been featured in The Toronto Star, BlogTO, Toronto Life Magazine, on Classical 96.3FM, and on Metro Morning on CBC Radio 1. Plans for our 2015-2016 season are well underway, and we look forward to sharing many more musical moments with you!
Your donations will help us:
- present 8 top-quality public house concerts in homes all over Toronto between September 2015 and June 2016.
- pay our artists
- offer reduced ticket prices to students, youth and children
- promote the series and expand our audience
- develop more sources of revenue and establish a sustainable business model.
Venues for 2015-16
- The home of Roland and Marion Wilk, North York
- The home of Rowley Mossop and Don Melady, The Annex
- The home of Judith Butler, High Park
- The home of Mark and Virginia Wells, North York
- The home of Ilir Pristine, Etobicoke
- The home of Rebekah Smick and Thomas McIntire, Cabbagetown
- The home of Jonathan Krehm, Rosedale
- The home of Jan and Breda Matejcek, Forest Hill
Repertoire for 2015-16
- Mendelssohn Piano Trio in D Minor
- Schumann Piano Quartet in E Flat Major
- Brahms songs for mezzo-soprano, viola, and piano
- Finzi songs
- Beethoven String Quartet Op. 18 No. 4
- Schubert Octet
- Beethoven Septet
- Debussy String Quartet
- Original pieces by Matthias McIntire, Kevin Lau, and other talented Canadian composers
- Much more!
How we operate:
- Our generous hosts offer their homes as venues, and provide food, wine, and chairs. We love our hosts!
- We provide an unforgettable concert experience, combining an intimate world-class performance with some fun social time.
- We sell tickets to the general public, with a special focus on developing new audiences for Classical music.
- We encourage families to attend with their children, and there is an educational component to each performance.
- We promote our concerts through our email list, Twitter, Facebook, BlogTO, Universe, and other online promotional services.
- We pay our artists, because they deserve it!
Why we need your support
- So we can keep providing top-quality public performances while we build up our private concert series and cultivate relationships with sponsors.
- So we can spread the word to audiences that don't know about us yet.
- So that we can begin to offer concerts in under-served parts of Toronto, outside of the downtown core.
- This campaign is a major step towards becoming a self-sustaining concert series.
As Featured In...
Learn More About Pocket Concerts
We depend on our community!
The Pocket Concerts model is based on mutual trust among the hosts, musicians, and our audiences, combined with a love of music. We are working to build respect, understanding, and an appreciation of art in our community through these shared socio-musical experiences. Thank you for your support. We couldn't do it without you!
Video Production by JeffHiggins.ca Photography
Risks and challenges
Risk #1: One or more of our hosts drops out of the series.
How we will solve it: We have several people on stand-by who have expressed interest in hosting a concert. We will ask one of them to provide the venue.
Risk #2: An artist has to cancel due to illness, injury, or personal reasons.
How we will solve it: We will find a replacement as quickly as possible. Luckily, we have a wealth of musical talent in Toronto!
Risk #3: Liability issues arise.
How we will avoid this: We are in the process of obtaining liability insurance for our business.
Risk #4: Lack of Audience.
We've managed to fill every one of our concerts up to this point, so we're pretty confident that we'll be able to keep it up. Our last four concerts have sold out completely. Having some extra funds will also allow us to amp up our marketing efforts, and sell more tickets!
We've started this series from the ground up, counting on our own creativity, the talents of our friends, the generosity of the people in our community, and the strength of our conviction to carry us through. So far we have met every challenge we've been faced with, and we are in this for the long haul. Your support will help us fulfill our vision of what Pocket Concerts can be!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)