Welcome to your Bike Share Bag.
The Bike Share Bag (BSB) is designed to securely fit into the front basket of bike share bikes, letting the rider carry a lot more things without worrying about it getting smashed or falling out. Works with these bike share systems:
Hurray! We hit our goal. Big thanks to everyone that helped us get to this point. We're excited announce stretch goals.
STRETCH GOAL #1: $12,000
If we hit this goal, everyone who has pledged $50 or more gets a free Po Campo clip-on timer. Say good-bye to late fees: with the timer, you'll never be late in returning your bike share bike again.
Our bike share program launched last summer and we were immediately smitten with how easy it made running errands, popping out to get lunch or meeting friends after work.
The one thing we thought we could improve was how you carry things on the bike share bikes. Because the front basket doesn’t really hold large or odd shaped items well, you end up carrying your bag on your back. This can be uncomfortable if your bag is big or heavy, or downright impossible if your bag doesn't have a shoulder strap, like a grocery bag. Plus, it seemed a shame to have a basket that couldn't be used. We wanted to fix that.
As seen in:
We take pride in designing and manufacturing bags that can take a beating and we choose fabrics, materials and construction techniques accordingly.
The inspiration for the bag's features came from research with bike share members, and our own experience, about what attributes the ultimate bike share bag should have.
- Fits laptops up to 15"
- Adjustable 5/32" bungee cords easily and securely attach bag to bike basket
- A durable 14 oz. heavyweight weather resistant waxed canvas is lined with polyurethane coated polyester to keep your stuff dry even in the rain
- All hardware is durable nickel coated steel
- Bag expands to open even wider by unclipping side D-rings
- Reflective details add extra nighttime visibility
- A spacious interior equipped with a lot of pockets to keep your gear organized
- Two carrying options: use handle or adjustable shoulder strap
- The front pocket perfectly fits your phone and has an integrated keychain so your bike share key fob is always easily accessible
- Size is 18" W x 5" D x 12.25" H
- Volume is 17.5 L
- Weight is 1.5 lbs
SUPPORTER - $5 Thanks for your support. We appreciate your help launching our Bike Share Bag. We'll give you a high five when we see you in the bike lane and promise to keep you updated on the latest Po Campo news.
REFLECTIVE BANDANA & PIN - $15 You'll be the new sheriff in town with one of our Reflective Bandanas, a versatile accessory with a strip of reflective tape to keep you visible at night, and one of our reflective star pins in safety orange.
GOODIE BAG - $40 You'll receive a reusable Po Campo shoe bag stuffed with one of our handy umber waxed canvas Maxwell waist packs and a matching Spare Pocket, along with a handful of some of our favorite Po Campo city biking swag.
BIKE SHARE BAG - $80 Kickstarter special! You'll become the lucky owner of one of the first black waxed canvas Bike Share Bags at a special discounted Kickstarter price.
EMERALD PRINT BIKE SHARE BAG - $85 Kickstarter special! Be one of the first to get the Bike Share Bag in coated polyester Emerald Bike Ride print!
SPECIAL EDITION WORLD BICYCLE RELIEF BIKE SHARE BAG - $110 This backer reward celebrates our partnership with Chicago charity World Bicycle Relief. For every 25 WBR bags selected, we will supply a new bike to a schoolgirl in Zambia so that she can get to school, become educated, and make a difference in her community. Your special edition WBR bag comes with red bungees (instead of the standard black) and an official WBR organic sea salt & dark chocolate bar, which is delicious. Read more about our partnership with WBR here.
BIKE SHARE BAG WITH CLOSCA FOLDABLE HELMET - $200 We've partnered with Closca to offer foldable helmets with our Bike Share Bag to make it easier to safely integrate bike share into your day. Choose either a black or emerald Bike Ride bag and receive a denim Closca helmet in size S-L.
Closca helmets were successfully funded on Kickstarter last summer and comply with U.S. CPSC and Standard EN 1078 (Europe, Asia & South America). We're happy to partner with them to promote safe and stylish bike commuting!
DIVVY DATE WITH MARIA & ELLIOT – $1,000 You and up to three of your friends will join Maria Boustead, Po Campo Owner, and Elliot Greenberger, Divvy General Manager, for the ultimate Divvy Date. We'll meet at Po Campo HQ in Chicago's West Town neighborhood and then divvy to Alpana Singh’s Boarding House restaurant in River North (roughly 1.5 miles). There we’ll be treated to VIP treatment in the bar with drinks chosen by Alpana herself. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone to learn about our design process, the workings of a small maker business, and what it’s like to manage one of the world’s largest bike share systems, all over delicious food and drink. We expect the Divvy Date to last about 3 hours. Includes one Bike Share Bag and Divvy day passes for you and your guests. Must be 21 or over.
Although we’ve been in business for five years, this is our first Kickstarter. So why now? The Bike Share Bag is a completely new product for us. We sell most Po Campo bags to wholesale accounts, but because there are no stores devoted to bike share accessories (not yet anyway!), getting pre-orders to pay for production wasn't a realistic option. Instead, we are turning to the Kickstarter community to help us put the Po Campo Bike Share Bag into production. If you are a fan of bike share and want to expand its usage, please back this project! Our goal is to launch the bag this summer when bike share is busiest.
Chicago industrial designer Maria Boustead founded Po Campo five years ago when she couldn't find a bag that she could attach to her bike for her work commutes and then take with her throughout her day. Since then, Po Campo has grown into a full line of bags designed for the demands of the modern urban lifestyle.
Since May 2013, Po Campo has partnered with World Bicycle Relief, a Chicago nonprofit that provides bicycles to rural African communities, giving them access to healthcare, education and economic opportunities. To date, Po Campo has donated over 25 bikes.
Earlier this year, Newcity magazine named Maria one of Chicago’s top 50 designers.
We began working on the Bike Share Bag in Sept 2013. We are now ready to manufacture it and bring it into the world for all to enjoy. To get to this point, we:
- Interviewed bike share riders about their issues and spoke with bike share systems about common complaints/requests they receive from their members. We narrowed initial sketch explorations down to a few promising concepts with input from this expert team.
- Made samples of the lead concepts with our manufacturing partner to test functionality and durability. We went through several rounds of samples to get to the final design. Each round of samples was tested in the field by real bike share members and revised/improved based on their experience using the bag.
- Worked with our manufacturer to optimize the sewing pattern and source all materials. We are using the same manufacturer that we have worked with for years, who reliably produces quality product for us – on time.
- To make sure we could produce the bags in time for summer, we shortcutted the lead time by going ahead and purchasing the dies and the raw materials ahead of time. We also cut enough material to make our minimum order quantity so we can hit the ground running.
What's next? Our manufacturer is standing by, waiting for our green light to complete our project. Because Po Campo warehouses and fulfills all of its own products, we are very familiar with what that entails. We anticipate the need to increase our shipping capacity to fulfill all the Kickstart orders in a timely manner once the bags arrive and have trained additional staff to be able to pitch in to make that happen.
The Po Campo Bike Share Bag is designed to fit bike share bikes in these U.S. cities (alphabetical order):
- Austin's B-Cycle
- Boston's Hubway
- Boulder's B-Cycle
- Charlotte's B-Cycle
- Chattanooga's Bicycle Transit System
- Chicago's Divvy
- Columbus, OH's CoGo
- Denver Bike Sharing
- Des Moines B-Cycle
- Fort Worth Bike Sharing
- Houston B-Cycle
- Indianapolis Pacer Bikershare
- Kansas City B-Cycle
- Madison B-Cycle
- Minneapolis' Nice Ride
- Nashville's B-Cycle
- New York City's Citi Bike
- San Antonio's B-Cycle
- San Francisco's Bay Area Bike Share
- Salt Lake City's GREENbike
- Washington D.C.'s Capital Bikeshare
and these international cities (alphabetical order)
- London's Barclays Cycle Hire
- Melbourne's Bike Share
- Montreal's Bixi
- Ottawa's Capital Bixi
- Santiago's Bike Santiago
- Toronto's Bike Share
Risks and challenges
We are working with the same trusted manufacturing partners that make our mainline Po Campo bags. Therefore, we have a realistic sense of what risks and challenges may exist, which are few.
The final prototype has been approved and dies for the pattern have been cut. All raw materials have been sourced and ordered.
Occasionally sewing production can take longer than anticipated. This usually occurs when we get "bumped" for a larger order from a bigger customer (woes of the small business!) However, our manufacturer is excited about the Bike Share Bag and the Kickstarter project and understands how important it is for the bags to arrive on time for prime summer riding.
We communicate with our factory daily and will know right away if there are any delays.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)