The GoHawk is the first GoPro expansion pack that adds three new types of functionality to your GoPro Hero4 for a better shooting experience:
- Remote shutter button input. Save time by only shooting the photos you want, not the ones you don't. Choose from a hands-free mouth switch or thumb triggered handlebar switch, or use your own switch with the universal 2.5mm port.
- Remote LED indicator lets you know that your camera is on and recording. Mount it in your helmet or wrap it around your handlebars.
- Auxiliary USB Power Input for extended shooting - never run out of power again!
Choose from a mouth-operated shutter button (best for chest or helmet mounted camera) or a handlebar-mount push button (ideal for handlebar mounted cameras for cyclists and motorcyclists). Simply plug your switch of choice into the GoHawk and start shooting!
We are working with Conceptus to bring you the best bite switches and tongue switches on the market. Conceptus has a long history of offering durable and reliable mouth switches for action sports photographers.
Stop worrying if your camera is on - our remote LED indicator lets you know if your camera is on and recording, or if you got the shot. We use high power LED's that are bright enough to see, even outside in direct sunlight. Mount the bendable LED accessory inside your helmet, or wrap it on your handlebars.
The GoHawk’s custom circuitry allows the LED to mimic the GoPro’s own LED indicators, with even more functionality. Both LED’s are ultra bright for easy visual feedback, even outside in direct sunlight.
The GoHawk mimics the camera's operation while providing useful visual feedback through the remote LED system.
- A blue standby LED will illuminate when the camera is turned on, letting you know you're ready to shoot. The blue LED will flash when your battery is getting low.
- In Video mode, the LED indicator will work whether you use a remote shutter button or the camera shutter. A slow flashing red LED let's you know you're recording.
- In Continuous photo mode, hold down the remote shutter button to take a fast sequence of photos. The LED indicator will flash red accordingly as long as you're shooting. In Burst photo mode, a single press of the remote shutter button will take a quick burst of photos.
- If we reach $50k, we'll let our backers vote on an additional color.
- If we reach $100k, we'll offer ALL the colors!
- If we reach $250k, we'll include a free t-shirt with every pledge of $99 or more!
The GoHawk came together through the right combination of need, abilities, and good old-fashioned bootstrapping. While popular among pro-level aerial photographers, mouth switches still hadn't reached the action sports cam market due to a lack of compatibility. As a weekend skydiver who enjoys taking pictures, Zac was frustrated with resorting to time lapses to capture quality stills. As a design engineer with a decade of product design experience, he decided it couldn't be that tough to create. The project slowly came together, evolving from napkin sketches and feature discussions to CAD designs and custom firmware. We talked to the community and added the features that we thought action sports enthusiasts would want the most. We tested multiple rounds of firmware, eventually arriving with a product that we felt met the needs of our users. We built prototypes on home built 3d printers and soldered up prototype LED cables. With functional prototypes in hand, we began showing off what we had at the dropzone, and the feedback was tremendously positive.
After a year of hard work, we're extremely excited to launch and share the GoHawk with the rest of the GoPro community.
- Zac - Product Designer | Developer | Engineer - Turning napkin sketches into real things, and especially the crazy and/or innovative ones. Portland, OR | World.
- Alex - Industrial Designer | Engineer - Product development services for consumer products, household goods, and furniture. Portland, OR | Denmark | World.
- Ethan - Technology Strategist - Online marketing and business development services for good people with good ideas. Keaau, HI | United States | World.
- Max - Graphic Designer | Apparel Specialist - Producing kick-ass designs for over 20 years. Lebanon, OR
- Poa - Dog.
Risks and challenges
As with any project, there will a small amount of risk between prototyping and volume production. We've done everything in our power to minimize the risks. Our circuit boards and firmware have been developed in collaboration with one of the leading digital GoPro accessory manufacturers. Our design team is comprised of seasoned product designer engineers, industrial engineers, and manufacturing specialists. We've built countless prototypes, including high resolution polyjet prototypes. We have already selected our production vendors and have received quotes for tooling and parts - all we need is the funding to pull the trigger and get these made.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)