Year 0: The War is Over. The Battle for Survival has Begun
Year 0: The War is Over. The Battle for Survival has Begun
A post-apocalyptic turn based strategy wargame from a member of the original Tomb Raider team.
A post-apocalyptic turn based strategy wargame from a member of the original Tomb Raider team. Read more
After a cataclysmic global war Civilisation lies in ruins. Survivors have begun to emerge from underground bunkers. It is a new era. It is the first year after the Apocalypse. It is Year 0…
Year 0 is a browser-based, multiplayer, strategy game. Players battle for survival and to mould the new world in their image. Not only do they need to scavenge for food and material to rebuild their world, they must also form alliances and fight the other survivors for scarce resources and territory.
The game will be truly innovative using HTML 5 technology that will allow it to be accessed from any browser equipped device and embedded in any browser carrying platform. Players on the Facebook version of the game on their PC will be able to play directly with and against players using the app on their mobile device.
Why Year 0 is Cool:
The heart of the game is a turn based tactics game where the player experience includes:
- Exploration to seek out new territory and resources
- Combat with both AI and real players to take and defend territory
- Discovery of new equipment and upgrades in the field
- Development and customization of units that will fit the player’s strategy
- Reclamation of wrecked friendly or enemy units during battle
- Persistent online world that you can visit at your convenience, or when alerted you are in danger
- An open ended social system. Players can work cooperatively to fend off other players and factions. This will allow a compelling user generated narrative to develop as players effectively start to form their own nations and relations.
Who are Legendary Games?
Founded by Gavin Rummery, one of the six original developers of Tomb Raider, and Ewan Lamont a new business specialist who worked at Games Workshop re-launching the Warhammer Fantasy Role play game, Legendary Games is an HTML5 game developer and publisher with a mission to create great online persistent-world multi-player strategy games. Check out the risks section below for information on the two founders. You can also vist these sites: Legendary Games and Year 0 FB fan Community.
Where are we now and why do we need funding?
Legendary Games received a grant award from Abertay University Prototype Fund (thanks guys) to make a prototype of Year 0. We are now looking for the next chunk of funding to pay the development team to finish off the game. We have come a long way and what we are asking for is the minimum amount of money that would be needed to get a good core offering out there.
- Strategy game you play directly with other players
- Sandbox world that evolves with the players
- Customisable units: optimise your tanks to suit your play style!
- Playable on all online platforms: PC, tablet and mobile
- Playable via Facebook or the Legendary portal site
- HTML5 browser based, so no plug-ins or installation required
- Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android
We would be looking at a March launch of the core offering with a January delivery for the merchandise rewards.
We want to do so much more than this and see the evolution of the game and the game world as an ongoing process. If we get more than our initial pledge goal we will be able to bring a lot of our plans forward including enhancements to the game and supporting marketing material and merchandise.
- £50k – 3D. If we reach this sum we will be able to devote the time and resources to make the Web GL interface that will allow us to make the full 3D version of the game. Every backer gets to download the 3D version of the game for free
- £75k – MISSIONS. This will be an enhancement of the planned tutorial system. If we hit this sum everyone gets access to single player missions and single player campaign as part of the achievements system. The NPC’s in these Mission will have their names and likenesses based on high level backers.
- £100k – PHONE AND TABLET APPS. The game will run in a browser on any device but on smart devices it will run even better inside native wrappers made available through app stores. When we reach this level we will be able to make these apps and sell them on their respective devices. Every backer gets a 3D version as a smartphone/tablet app - iOS or Android as separate reward items.
- £125k - GLOBAL WAR. If we reach this sum we enhance our plans for the campaign system from a compelling campaign to a super deluxe offering bringing in a real world map and using the player’s physical location as starting points and allowing players to conquer the actual world.
- £150 – FRIEND CHALLENGE At this level we will bring in a training mode allowing direct challenges and “friendly games”. We will also add technology that will allow yplayers to bring allies into their games so that friends can directly help each other.
- £200k – ENHANCED CUSTOMISATION If we reach this level we will enhance the customisation system. Players will be given the opportunity to totally customise their units and army. We will bring in lots of different unit skins allowing players to determine the look of their army as well as add faction insignia and unit naming. We will also bring in additional unit types and upgrades.
- £250k - NOVEL. We have been liaising with artists, authors and publishers about the world background and story. If we reach this level we will hire a renowned Sci-Fi author to write the story. Every backer gets a digital version of the novel. Generals and above will be sent a hard copy once it is printed. Selected backers (if willing) will appear as characters in the novel.
- 300k – TERRITORY DEVELOPMENT – Ability to rebuild the world around your bunker and give humanity some hope for the future. Given the nihilistic tone of the game we have deliberately left this stretch goal to near the end.
- £350k – FACTION WAR – The granddaddy game that so far we have only been dreaming about. Reaching this level of funding will allow us to bring in our new “Nation State” game features. Players will be able to form factions and nations in the game all wearing the same uniforms and with unique skins. Players will be able to jocky for power internally within the faction and fight other factions in a massive game of global conquest.
- £400k – STRATEGY AND WORLD GUIDE - Every backer gets a digital copy of the strategy and world guide. Field Marshals upwards get a glossy hard copy.
- £500k – BOARD GAME. Play with your friends face to face, the old analogue way. Everybody will get a download of the rules. Field Marshals upwards will get a hard copy.
Game World Background
Year 0 is not just a great strategy game. To make the game truly cool we have ensured there is a deeply compelling world and storyline... what really would happen if the fabric of the world was ripped apart in a massive war and society as we knew it had broken down?
The War raged globally for a decade, gradually sweeping away the old order and replacing it with anarchy.
Why did the War start? – You only find out if we publish the novel
In the aftermath a new age for humanity has begun. The world is a broken hellish version of its former self. when the sun is visible as a faint ghost, a memory of golden promise. Stagnant rivers reflect the hazy sheen in an inverted pall. Black trees morph and twist out of the hellish bracken. Automated munitions factories still forge enough weapons to ensure war without end.
How does this new world look? You only find out by conquering the whole world or if we publish the art guide.
Only now have the ashes settled enough for the survivors to emerge from their underground bunkers. They scavenge the ruins of civilisation for anything that might ensure another day of survival. There isn't much left, but it is worth fighting for...
The War may be over, but the Battle has only just begun. It is Year 0.
Risks and challenges
Legendary Games is an HTML5 games developer and publisher creating great multi-player strategy games for any browser equipped device. HTML5 games are a growing part of the gaming future; make the game once and it will work on any machine with a browser. There are no downloads, no waiting time and the game is set up for direct distribution and multiplayer gaming. And with WebGL there is even the potential to produce games in 3D.
But there are drawbacks to HTML5. The biggest challenge we currently face is that the features are still being developed, so there is inconsistency and patchy support across the different browsers. This means we are developing for a moving target, and some things simply don’t work as well as they should yet, but they are improving rapidly.
That said we can do this. We have the team in place and we are the people to do it - just look at what we have done before. The only thing missing is your help.
About us the founders:
Dr Gavin Rummery
Gavin’s big claim to fame is that he was one of the original Tomb Raider team, and lead programmer on Tomb Raider 2. He has wide ranging game development experience spanning 17 years, including programming, game design and team management. Gavin graduated from Trinity College Cambridge with a PhD in Machine Learning and an MA with First Class Honours in Electronic Information Systems Technology before going straight to work on the original Tomb Raider games at Core Design. Since then he has worked on numerous games across a range of different platforms, and has been everything from a Lead Programmer to a Studio Manager along the way. In recent years he has turned his attention away from consoles and towards the growing online and browser based gaming world and the opportunities this presents for making large scale multi-player games that can be played anytime, anywhere and on any device.
Prior to Legendary Games Ewan was the Senior Producer and Programme Manager for Monumental Games. An accredited Project Manager specialising in business change and new start-ups, Ewan has worked on a variety of exciting projects, from the very technical - such as launching a massively multiplayer online games engine or building a £5 million Vehicle Data Supplier - to the sublime - like re-launching Warhammer Fantasy Role play for Game Workshop. At University he studied old dead people (Archaeology) and has been collecting a series of Masters Degrees in it ever since.
- (30 days)