I'm Pete, and I love designing maps.
Through my love of mapmaking and space, I hope to convey why exploration is so key to our future as a species. Generations from now, people aren't going to remember us for our politics or violence against one another. They're gonna remember what we do to make their civilizations possible. Mars will teach us, it will challenge us, and it will bring us into the future, only if we don't stop searching.
When I was 7, I created my first map. Now, after all these years, I still find myself fascinated by them. Maps represent our curiosity, our courage, and the hardships we endure to reach places that seem impossible. They're a constant reminder that we all have to start somewhere.
My goal for this Kickstarter is to launch a design studio so I can continue to create maps for many years to come. Whether it's a small town here on Earth or the tallest volcano on Mars, there's no place I won't consider mapping. My projects will be based on your feedback, because without you, this won't be possible. I hope that you can join in helping me make this dream a reality.
- Each map is a Kickstarter Edition, individually hand-numbered print. Limited to 200.
- Available in color OR monochrome (you'll make your selection after the campaign is funded)
- Free shipping within the US for all backers.
- 36" × 48" $65
- 24" × 36" $50
- 18" × 24" $35
- 4" × 4" set of 5 stickers $15
- Mobile + desktop wallpaper $5
- Region: Oxia Palus quadrangle (MC-11)
- Area: 8 million km²/3 million mi²
- Scale: 1:3,000,000 @ 36" × 48"
- Geographical features and rover landing sites are labeled
- 120 meter grid and graticules every 5° lat/long
- Printed with UV resistant inks on archival grade, matte paper
- Individually numbered, Kickstarter Edition, limited to 200
How was this map created?
This map uses elevation data collected from MOLA, an instrument aboard NASA's Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft. It was created by deriving 3 individual layers and then merging them back together into one seamless image, as shown below:
Risks and challenges
Obstacles related to high volume printing may occur. Throughout this campaign, I will dedicate myself to keeping us on track. And you, the backers, will be informed at every turn until I send out the very last map!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)