Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Pixeom and other "cloud" stations or NAS boxes commercially available in the market?
1. Our device is expandable and you do not have to spend time on capacity planning, as you can keep connecting multiple devices together to indefinitely increase ONE single storage pool. With a NAS box (like Western Digital's MyCloud, Lima, and other such products), once you run out of space, you have to buy a separate one and figure out which one will store which files - you can't just seamlessly add more hardware to increase the space of what you already have.
2. We do more than just allow you to store files. Other solutions only allow you to upload a file, and access it later. We allow you to create discussion boards and interactive stores hosted on your device, that you can invite anyone to browse or participate in. It becomes a social experience!
3. Our device can stay private, or it can connect with a global network where you can broadcast public content for anyone to discover using their web browser or our free mobile app. We are trying to challenge the very nature of today's datacenters and servicesLast updated:
To expand the space, you have two options. Either connect more external USB hard drives, or you can link multiple Pixeom devices to indefinitely expand your storage pool to whatever size you would like.Last updated:
So I'm trying to understand how this is a personal cloud. How do I access the device that is, say at my home, from another remote location?
Our product is a cloud for two reasons
1. You can continue to expand and grow your storage pool by connecting more machines together. The storage layer spans across the boundaries of any single machine - just like a cloud in a datacenter does.
2. You are able to access it from anywhere. We automatically port forward for you, and help you discover your device from anywhere, we even intend on providing for you a custom domain that you can easily remember (e.g. stephen.pixeom.com) that will get automatically updated with the IP of your device. You can opt out of this if you want to stay off the grid and manage IPs yourself.Last updated:
I understand that in the same room/space the Pixeom would generate its own wifi access point so that multiple devices can connect and share but if the devices are in separate places in the "world" how does the Pixeom connect those 2 or more devices?
The Pixeom device does not generate a WiFi access point. It is not meant to be a portable device. You plug it in at home or in your office, connect the wired Ethernet, and then you can access it from anywhere across the internet or on your local LAN.
We take care of the discovery of the device from anywhere, making it convenient for you. And yes, the devices are able to discover each other across the world. It is a community-owned network of devices where anyone who has the free mobile app can browse the public content.Last updated:
When you mention create a storefront, do you mean instead of buying space from a web server I can install my web shop software on this and run it on here instead?
You cannot install anything custom on our device, we wanted to make it as easy to use as possible, so we integrated everything already for you, such as - payment processing, inventory management, CRM. There is no need to install anything, just right click and say "create shop" then start adding your inventory information!Last updated:
Don't see the answer to your question? Ask the project creator directly.Ask a question