2/17///// UPDATE! We've hit the goal!! Stretch goals have been added below the deck descriptions! I'll be adding new ones as we move along ^___^
2/28///// UPDATE! We've officially cleared all stretch goals! Check them out below the deck descriptions!
The Neon Moon Tarot is a fully illustrated, 78-card tarot deck set in a retro-futuristic cyberpunk world using the archetypes and themes of a RWS tarot deck. Backers can expect a gritty urban hi-tech setting with a limited neon palette and heavy black inks.
I've been able to work with different production sources to bring two different versions to this Kickstarter. The deck is available in both standard and pocket editions(details below).
Using the unique flexibility and depth of symbolism in the tarot, the Neon Moon deck emphasizes atmosphere and world-building. The RWS archetypes are alive and well here, merged with cyberpunk themes.
The Neon Moon Tarot lives in its own unique world and does its best to bring you along. It asks you to use your gut to read meaning from the cards with intuition. But you aren't left out in the cold. Each card has associated keywords and quotes to get you started. If you'd like, you can check them out right now at www.neonmoontarot.com
The standard edition of The Neon Moon Tarot Deck measures 2.75 by 4.75 inches, and is printed on 300 GSM coated card stock. It comes complete with a custom rigid box and booklet.
The pocket edition of The Neon Moon Tarot measures 57 by 97 millimeters on 14 pt C2S coated card stock, and comes with a custom tuck box.
Thanks to all of your support, we've hit the goal as of 2/17! Here are some extra goodies to look forward to as funding continues!
- $6000 -UNLOCKED- Extra card unlocked! A second Fool card with a different take. Specific to this Kickstarter and won't be available in decks beyond Kickstarter backers. This reward will be automatically added on to both the pocket and standard editions of the deck, so if you've backed a tier with either you'll have an extra card for each deck.
- $6500 -UNLOCKED- A short mini-comic in PDF format unlocks for all tiers! This comic will serve as an introduction to the Neon Moon's cyberpunk world. I'll be working on it myself in the same style that is present in the cards.
- $7000 -UNLOCKED- Pocket edition decks will now also include a booklet! Additionally, all backer tiers with physical product will receive a mini art-print of their choice(or random if the backer survey isn't filled out) from the deck with their package. Mini so I can fit it in without increasing weight or shipping costs.
- $8500 -UNLOCKED- The short mini-comic PDF for all tiers from reward tier $6500 becomes a full length single issue comic(~30 pages) PDF for all tiers!
- $10,000 -UNLOCKED- Along with your physical decks you will receive a letterpress printed prototype card of the next deck I’m working on. Additionally, we will unlock the Neon Moon Tarot Spread to the public. On top of that, the Neon Moon Card Game will also unlock for the public. Both will be posted to the Neon Moon website.
The Neon Moon setting is my original take on a cyberpunk world. You'll see the usual themes of hi-tech low-life, A.I., cyborgs, corporations run amok, and more. For my version of the world, there is a divisive plate separating the rich and powerful from the masses underneath.
The suit names have changed, along with the court cards, to better reflect the cyberpunk interpretation of this deck. They are as follows:
- Swords - Arms
- Wands - Wires
- Cups - Vials
- Pentacles - Zent
- Page - Apprentice
- Knight - Agent
- Queen - Supervisor
- King - Executive
Above the plate, people can live essentially forever through a mixture of memory backups, clones, and "gene-therapy", which has resulted in a very strict society under constant surveillance by the most powerful members who have been alive for hundreds of years and in that time have accumulated power and wealth. The court cards effectively play the roles of those most powerful members of this society living on top of the world.
For the minor pips, they depict life beneath the plate. I've strayed a bit from convention and things are more of a neon-lit, urban mad max than they are Neo-Tokyo. People are mostly too poor to advertise to, so most of the advertisements are aimed at pure necessities. Gangs roam what's left of the streets, sponsored militias run through on orders from above the plate, poverty is rampant and conflict is everywhere. People live short and violent lives of desperate struggle, and find hope and strength through banding together with friends.
Outdated robots, discarded from above, hack into each others' firmware with updates giving their A.I. freedom. Gene-therapy is largely experimental and therefore much less stable than above the plate. People have started giving themselves vanity alterations in addition to performance enhancing ones. The internet is patched from a local mesh of wires that are strung from building to building, from the underside of the plate down to the ground. This accounts for the imagery of the minor pips. Previous ideas of what it means to be human, imposed by the ruling class, struggle against the people who remake themselves into a thousand different versions of humanity.
And yet something new arrives with a strange, neon pink full moon. Magic begins to surface in the city, along with strange occurrences and impossibilities. Somehow, it seems to be relative in power to the waxing and waning of the moon.
Each card is meant to evoke a particular piece of this world, using the archetypes available from the Rider-Waite-Smith tarot. I chose tarot specifically to bring this setting to life as it allowed me to emphasize the ambiance and themes of the world while letting a larger cast of characters be depicted than other mediums would comfortably allow. As with any tarot deck, every card has a piece of story behind it, and every combination of cards tells a different story.
Out of the goal of $5500, funds are estimated to be allocated accordingly:
- Estimated shipping costs - 15% ($825)
- Estimated Kickstarter fees - 10% ($550)
- Estimated production costs for both versions of the decks, boxes, and booklets - 75% ($4125+personal funds added)
The estimated timeline, and product status is as follows:
- Mid-Late March - Campaign ends and funding transfers. Wallpaper+Avatar packs are done and ready to send out. PDF Booklet is also ready to send out. The Neon Moon Tarot Spread and Card Game will be put on the website and added as additional PDFs for backers. I'll place orders with my print shops for decks and booklets. Work has started on the 30-ish page PDF Comic.
- April - Depending on order sizes and shipping times, I should start to receive product from my print shops in early to mid April, which I'll start to assemble and send out to backers. While I wait for product to arrive, I'll be letterpress printing prototype cards for the 10k stretch goal. Work on the PDF Comic continues.
- May - Except for unexpected shipping delays, most backers should have received rewards. I should be finalizing the PDF comic reward at this point and I'll send it out when it's finished.
I'm James Brothwell, and this is both my second Kickstarter campaign, and my second complete tarot deck. My first campaign for The Sinking Wasteland Tarot was fortunate enough to not just fund, but to hit all of its stretch goals as well! I've previously been involved with comics, computer games, movies, and the odd commission work that's landed me in strange and exciting places.
Thanks to the success of the last campaign, I was able to put my nose to the grindstone and finish up The Neon Moon Tarot, and I'm very pleased to be able to offer it for you all now. I started work on this in the last couple of months of 2016 and only recently finished artwork for the last of the cards at the end of January 2018.
I'm hoping that this deck will speak to those who, like me, are sometimes left wanting for a tarot deck that depicts a more urban environment, and incorporates technology throughout.
Images represent prototypes. Final product may differ slightly.
I do offer worldwide shipping but I'm sorry to say that I have little control over shipping costs or customs fees. If you order from outside of the US, please be aware that I've done my best to keep weights down, prices affordable, and shipping tracked. Still, some things are simply beyond my control.
Finally, thank you to all of the backers, friends, strangers, and fellow internet oddities whose enthusiasm and support allows projects like this to exist and thrive. Much love. <3
Risks and challenges
This is a low risk campaign for backers. I have prototype decks and packaging in hand and arrangements for all listed physical product figured out. All artwork is completed. For my previous Kickstarter and Etsy store, I have repeatedly received feedback for fast shipping, sturdy packaging, and satisfaction with the product.
Should we fund, I am ready to commit myself full time to fulfilling orders and getting product out the door as quickly as possible. It is my goal to repeat with this campaign the speed and efficiency that I brought to my previous Kickstarter project for The Sinking Wasteland Tarot.
I'm looking forward to getting these decks into good homes out in the world.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)