Pitch Black - The 'AAA' Audio Game
Get ready to usher in a new era of audio games.
Pitch Black is a narrative driven, 3D binaural audio game (entirely accessible to the blind and VI community), featuring explorable, immersive sound worlds, a complex dramatic story and multiple innovative audio mechanics based on psycho-acoustic principles. It's an ambitious project, that has a scope larger than anything of its kind. It's set to release in October 2020, for PC/MacOS/Linux, and for iOS/Android.
..but don't take our word for it. Demos of the current build of District 5 (in the City) are below! Have an explore and take in the sounds of the City.
Play the Demo!
We understand that new ideas are sometimes difficult to imagine, and trust is more important than ever on Kickstarter, so we'd like to invite you to have an explore of an early version of District 5 within the City of Dusklight, downloads via Dropbox below (please wear headphones, and listen carefully to the instructions in-game).
Don't Have Time to Download?
- Watch Illegally Sighted Play-through the demo (wear headphones)!
- £6000 - Transferable saves from PC/MacOS/Linux to iOS/Android. That means you can take your game on the road after making progress at home, and vice versa.
Pitch Black Features
- A 5-6 hour, fully voice acted narrative
A Story told through characterful, wonderful voice acting. From market sellers in the City, to Guards at the gates, to Ghouls in the sewers. Listen to three of our lead characters below!
- A Fully Alternate Developed World!
Pitch Black is set in a fully developed alternate world, and this narrative takes place in and around the densely populated City of Dusklight, listen to an overview below (the game is audio-only, artwork shown is to be seen as a mood board and is not ours)
- Unique Audio Mechanics based on Psycho-acoustic and Physical principles, including:
- Auditory Focus Mechanic (enhanced cocktail party effect) - in the demo!
- Audio Sign-Posts (aiding cognitive mapping) - in the demo!
- Activated Distance Sonar (for use when navigating confined spaces) - in the demo!
- Cognitive Biasing (directing attention through evolutionary importance) - discussed in the thesis!
- Audio Occlusion Puzzles (using partial and total occlusion) - already coded!
- ..and many more.
- 3D (Binaural) Audio
Complete 3D Audio featuring state-of-the-art spatialisation, listen to the trailer below (please wear headphones):
- Dynamic Replayability Model
- Three fully voice-acted versions of each main character in the game!
- Unique, emergent soundscapes at each play due to randomisation - in the demo!
- Procedural generation of occlusion puzzles in-game.
- Audio-based arcade mini-games, featuring audio versions of classics like pong, and space invaders.
- Dense, and rich, fully explorable sound worlds, with hidden world building to those that venture off the beaten-path - try the demo!
- Additional Soundscapes within Soundscapes through in-game simulations - in the demo!
- December 2018 - Initial inception of idea and experimentation starts!
- March 2019 - Connor and Jordan come on board, and the world building commences!
- May 2019 - Production Begins (see the vlog!) and the community grows!
- July 2019 - Basic Mechanics Coded and the City build is under construction!
- September 2019 - Play testing with blind and sighted participants is underway!
- October 2019 - The first pre-alpha demo is created and the Kickstarter launches!
- November 2019 - March 2020 - Production of first full alpha build of the game
- April 2020 - July 2020 - Refinement until beta build is complete
- August 2020 - September 2020 - Preparations for release and production of the Audiobook.
- October 2020 - Launch!
Who are we?
Purple Jam consists of three audio specialists turned game developers, upon reassessing our omnidirectional lives, we decided to gather our intellectual resources and create the game of all games; Pitch Black: A Dusklight Story. We first graced each other in September of last year, powering through Master's degrees at The University of Derby. Harry Cooper, commonly known as ‘The Mastermind’ in a flash of inspiration, had the idea of creating a binaural based audio game. Naturally, Connor and Jordan were instantly on board. Using our past experience in sound design, composition, game development and narrative construction, we combined forces to create the company that we are today. With an unprecedented desire to excel in creative industries, we set upon our journey to create a diverse, deep and exciting journey through our dark and eccentric world.
Get to know the team!
Want to get to know us? Watch the full development process from start to present-day on our YouTube channel, as well as interviews, community spotlights, and much more!
Why do a Kickstarter?
Game development takes resources, one of those resources is funding. We've raised over half the development funds through excited angel investors, and are now hoping to use this additional backing to complete the game. This is a unique project without truly comparable projects within the industry, but with an eager and enthusiastic following. Rather than go to a publisher and lose control over the development, we're trusting in our wonderful and supportive community to show that audio games are genuinely viable commercially in the gaming industry. A success here could pave the way for accessible games, and for the genre of audio games to become mainstream.
Keep track of developments on our socials!
Thank-you for your help on our journey so far!
Finally, we'd like to say an absolutely huge thank you to all in our community who have helped the project so far with their fantastic voice acting:
Ahmed Dragunov - Alexandra Tricamo - Alex Cain - Alex Lamoureux - Alex Moore - Andrew Grandpierre - Andrew Hay - Aurora Gautheur - Becki Clarke - Brandon Jenkins - C.S.R. - Christian Banas - Dallis King - Daniel Gold - Devon Dixon - Duelley Noted - Eamon Kane - Eli Harris - Elijah Ramsey - Emma Elizabeth - Erick Nita - Erin Evans-Walker - Forenza - Glenn Bulthuisvo - Haley C.M. - Jack Frank - James Alexander - James Molloy - Jef Leeson - Joe Griffiths - John Christie - John Patenuda - Jonathan Doorenbosch - Josh Brabant - Josh Pedder - Justin Ball - Katie Otten - Kayla Ott - Kevin Paculan - Kirsty Woolven - Lauren Clare - Lillian Warkentin - Marcus Bailey - Marlene Leeson - Melissa Sheldon - Mike Vajdic - Mikecia Carter – Mirta - Moogle - Morgan Winter - Naida Mortem - Nathan Smith - NIXY - Noko ‘Flow' Mabitsela - Racheal Harrell - Rebekah Amber Clark - Rob Van Dongen - Ryan Do - Ryan James - S.L. Holmes - Sam Dutton Taylor - Sarah Lynn - Shawn T - Sovereign Elise - Stephen Carlock - Tiffany Witcher - TJ Anthony - Tristan Stone – Vladibear - Vincent Fabbri - Walter Mack - Walter Mack - Wiley Bottcher - William Poultner - Yu Wang - Zach Arbogast - Zane Sexton
And to those that have helped play test, or helped spread the word so far:
Aaron Linson - Anthony Parker - Calvin Botha - Dean Wilcox - Glen Turner - Frank Vanbuskirk - Jason Bolte - Jeremy Wood - Kate Healey - Kimberly Miller - Kyle Tyler Noremberg - Malik Qamar Hussain - Paul Lemm - Ross Meegan - Suhas Dharwad - Tim Wood – Tj - Toby Ott - Tristan Stone - Viv Keenan
Risks and challenges
The main challenge, as with all creative/commercial projects, is keeping within the proposed time frame and not letting feature creep, the most prevalent scourge of game development, push the production over time and over budget. To combat this we've created very defined parameters of how long the game is, what game mechanics need to be implemented (and they're already coded), and what platforms we're initially launching on.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)