About this project
- STORY: The Ovate Order tells a story of Bran, a young adult who is infatuated with an old card game called The Ovate Order. Due to catastrophic events, the majority of life on the planet Ezreal has been extinguished. The more wealthy inhabitants have taken to the stars to live in orbital space stations while the poor and criminal have been left to fend for themselves on the dying planet. With a strong faith in The Ovate Order, Bran hopes to use the power of the cards to bring balance back to Ezreal... but not all people want things to change.
- THEME: The Ovate Order is based around the sacred animals of the Celtic Druid tradition. Many characters in The Ovate Order represent a specific animal from Druid lore. It was a risky decision, but I have decided to stand firm on keeping the Gaelic names for all characters. This means that the player will encounter many names which may seem unfamiliar to them, but I feel it is a necessary risk to take in order to not compromise on the importance of the animals of the Druid tradition.
- HISTORY + FOLKLORE = MAGIC!: There is much confusion over the history of the Druids. Some biased historians will portray them as cannibalistic savages that used black magic, but the truth is much more complicated. The Ovate Order addresses some of these claims by re-enacting the cultural struggle which was happening during early A.D time period. In addition, I have taken select passages from The Mabinogion, a collection of Welsh prose tales thought by scholars to date back to the dawn of Celtic civilization, and turned them into plot lines within the game to give players a chances to experience some lesser known Celtic folklore.
Experience a retro ActionCCG!: Experience the joys of exploring an expansive, retro, open world in search of the (not-so-legendary) Ovate Order cards! Build your deck to fight enemies, solve puzzles, and find super secret and completely useful hidden thingies. ;) You won't find any flashy particle effects or contemporary lighting effects in this retro throwback; all effects are drawn and animated by hand!
(Piko says, "There may be some particle effects and lighting in this retro throwback. Ignore the human.")
- Twenty (or more) skill cards to collect!
- Secrets, puzzles, surprises, oh my!
- The Ovate Order mini-game!
- A story line!
- Not a rogue-lite/like!
I'M BROKE!: We are broke! With the recent addition of composer Dan Knorr to the team, it is more vital than ever that we meet our Kickstarter goal! Funds from Kickstarter will go towards paying for the new music, legal fee, Steam fees, promotional costs, FOOD!
Every penny is greatly appreciated!
Risks and challenges
Risks include: Death, dismemberment, decapitation, brain damage, Piko's Uprising.
I guess everyone could also hate my game. That would suck. Other than that, rest assured The Ovate Order will be completed.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)