Steel Waves - A New Naval Combat Sim
Steel Waves - A New Naval Combat Sim
Steel Waves is a World War 2-esque naval combat simulation. It will feature 16 v 16 combat, a variety of ship, weapons, maps & modes.
Steel Waves is a World War 2-esque naval combat simulation. It will feature 16 v 16 combat, a variety of ship, weapons, maps & modes. Read more
As part of our Kickstarter campaign we'd like to give you guys a chance to actually play a very early version of the game. We'd like for you to see and experience the potential this game has.
Demo Link: http://www.steelwaves.co.uk/forums
Please note: The game is very much an early pre-alpha. There will be bugs & crashes. This version of the demo has only been in development for 12 weeks.
In case you just want to watch some gameplay here is a video :)
Steel Waves is a World War 2-esque naval combat simulation. It will feature 16-player combat, with various gametypes, ships, weapons, environments and even decoration! Ever wanted to sail your own warship? Now you can!
The current goal for development is to produce a lobby-based multiplayer game, where players can join public servers, and cruise alongside players across the internet, or private servers and have a quiet jaunt with friends.
As the game development progresses, the scope of the game will continue to improve, and eventually we would like to take it all the way to MMO status, with a war between three-factions over a huge archipelago! Players will be able to take quests and missions from any of the factions, unlocking advanced equipment from the factions they help, while gaining notoriety with the factions they hinder. Players can engage in combat against other players or AI-controlled ships, alone or as a team. Late-game will involve bands of players forming an armada to take islands or ports for themselves. The lobby-based match system will still be available through the Custom Match System, so you won't lose anything through the game progressing to an MMO.
This is still a long way off, so we ask that you bear with us during development. Some of the features in our development builds were removed from the demo, so if you can't find something we've mentioned in our feature list, don't worry! It will be in actual releases.
As a community-driven studio, we aim to make games that you, the community, want to play. As such, we make special effort to take on-board suggestions from our fans and players. So if you don't like the game as it is now, let us know, and we can make it more enjoyable for everyone!
You can take a gander at the posters at this link: Posters
The story behind Steel Waves focuses on three main factions; The Confederacy of Free Nations, The Lacerian Hegemony, and the Theocratic Republic of Atavah. War breaks out between the three groups, with the majority of the conflict occuring at sea, over a contested archipelago known as The Forlorn Islands. These islands occupy a strategically critcal position in the middle of the ocean connecting the three nations, and as such are the primary target of most scenarios and battles in Steel Waves. Each of the nations feels justified in its position in the war, and there is no 'right' or 'wrong' faction to play as. Additional information on the incidents that led up to the outbreak of war, and on the nations themselves, will be periodically released on the Steel Waves website.
We're an indie games studio based in the North-East of England. We've previously released a title on Android called 'Cubism', which is a tower defence game with a bit of a twist. We are all University graduates who decided to throw caution to the wind and try to make the games the community would like to see made. We all have a great passion for games, and would be extremely grateful if this KickStarter can let us carry on with our dream!
N.B.: Some of these features are not available in the free demo released alongside this KickStarter
- Central Server/Server/client based multiplayer. A central server run by us handles a server browser and the login system. Once connected, you can then seect a server to join and avast! You're in the game! Additionally, users can host their own servers, either publicly on the server browser or privately just for their friends. Our authoritative server means players with high latency won't ruin the game for everyone, as well as helping prevent cheaters from spoiling the nautical fun.
- Full control over your vessel. Control your forward or reverse movement with Engine Order Transmissions, and enjoy total control over the full might of your deck batteries. Total control comes with a cost though, and you must manually lead your shots and predict the barrel pitch necessary to smash your foes.
- Four classes of surface ship. Current in our development builds we have the Battleship, a slow, heavily armed and armoured ship, the Cruiser, a middle of the range ship, the Destroyer, a faster, lightly armed ship that excels at fighting submarines, and the Frigate, a small ship specialised in protecting convoys with it's anti-air and anti-ship capabilities. Sub-classes of these main classes will be available, so players can choose, for example, a cruiser with a stronger anti-air presence. Note: Only the King George V class Battleship is playable in the KS demo.
- Modular damage system. Not only do ships have an overall 'health-bar' that denotes when they will sink, you can also disable individual systems on a ship. For example, firing at an enemy ship's main battery will eventually disable it, leaving him unable to use it without repairs.
- Ship customisation. Prefer a faster firing three-barrelled 15inch battery to a four-barreled? That's fine by us! Before every match you can customise your ships batteries and engines to ensure you can take on any threat. If you're playing a team game, this also allows you to fill a specific role within your fleet!
- Gametypes. Sometimes simply blasting everyone else on the open seas isn't enough. Other gametypes available include King Of The Hill and Team Deathmatch, with many more to come (we're looking forward Submarine Zombies ourselves!)
- PC-friendly options screen. What would a PC game be without a plethora of things to fiddle with? We're still early in development, but as of now you can rebind your keys, change your Field of View, fiddle with the graphical fidelity and much more!
This list will range from near future goals to far future goals
- Ship decoration. It's not enough to be able to choose how you blow up your enemies, you have to do it in style! We want to add a system so you can add decals and customise the aesthetic parts of your ship. Additionally, we want an emblem creation system that will appear next to your name on the scoreboard, as well as on the flag of your ship!
- Submarines and Anti-submarine weapons. The World War 2 naval scene would have been very different without the presence of submarines. As such, we will be adding a submarine class for players to control. Ships will need a way to counter them, and so we will add anti-submarine weapons that ships will be able to equip, such as depth charges and hedgehogs.
- More Gametypes. The stage we're at when we get here determines the kind of gametypes we can add, but we'd like as many gametypes as possible for players to choose from. Some gametypes we'd really like to include are Escort Missions, Dreadnought Takedown and Submarine Zombies. If you have a good idea for a gametype, let us know on the forums!
- More maps. Similar to gametypes, what we can do with maps is dictated by what else we have in the game. But more environmental stuff never goes amiss.
- Carriers, Planes and Anti-Air. It wouldn't feel like a World War 2 naval scenario without planes zipping overhead. We'd like to add another ship class of Carriers that sends out planes on missions instead of directly attacking. Depending on how fun it is to play, this class may be totally AI-controlled or player controlled (note, the planes will always be AI controlled). Again, this totally boils down to how fun it is for players.
- AI controlled enemies. This would tie in well with extra gametypes, but could also be used in other situations. Some of this will be required for carriers and air units, since players won't control the planes or their anti-air weapons. We already have a little bit of this with an anti-ship shore battery, but it's not polished enough for release yet.
Pledging Shipping Note
Please be aware that we are providing Free Shipping to anyone pledging from within the UK. Anyone from mainland Europe, USA, Australia etc will be contacted to inform them of the shipping cost they will have to pay to receive their goods.
Risks and challenges
Any new intellectual property is a risk in the games industry; it's the reason why established publishers like to stick with franchises that they know make money. Having said that, sometimes an idea comes along that is too good to pass up. That's how we feel about Steel Waves.
We don't have bags of experience in the industry, having recently graduated university, but we're keen, passionate and have made our tech demo in about 3 and a half months, which isn't too bad! We may lack experience, but we intend to listen to the community every step of the way, so if there's ever any problems, don't hesitate to get in touch!
The whole project promises to be a challenge, but we think we're up to the job, and hope you think so too!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)