A documentary film adaptation of the best-selling travel guide by Leonard Kinsey. Read more
This project was successfully funded on May 20, 2014.
About this project
The Dark Side of Disney (DSoD) by Leonard Kinsey is the best-selling travel guide that reveals all the tips, tricks, and stories that they don't want you to know about.
With the guidance of Leonard Kinsey, The DSoD documentary adaptation will be looking at these tips, tricks, and stories as a series of challenges that we will be attempting to complete in an effort to see the Disney parks from a different, adult perspective.
This will be the second feature length documentary from director Philip B. Swift. His first film, The Bubble, about the Disney-built town of Celebration, Florida was also made because of a successful Kickstarter campaign.
Before the challenge begins, we'll be doing extensive research on the proper way to push the envelope at the parks. We'll be interviewing tourists who have long ago stepped off the beaten path and peeked into the darker corners of Walt Disney World. Some have large followings on the internet from documenting their exploits, others have been banned for going too far, and some are simply experts who seek knowledge while being fueled by nostalgia. These are the "Darksiders"
We'll even be following the exploits of the director's mom, who definitely captures more of the lighter end of the spectrum, while she enjoys the Walt Disney World experience from her own unique perspective. This will lend the film a deeper, more personal edge to the film enhancing the story and the emotional impact. Here's her getting hugged by Goofy, to the envy of all her neighbors...
After acquiring enough knowledge to ensure a worthwhile adventure, we will move forward on completing the book's "challenges" chapter by chapter. Chapter One: Disney World, Done Dirt Cheap starts with procuring cheap park tickets, renting time shares for pennies, and packing like a pro. In Chapter Two: Sex, Drugs and Rock N' Roll at WDW, the real fun begins. We'll be investigating the best places to have sex at the resorts and in the parks, attempt to drink around the world in Epcot, and find out where to score illicit substances while going through the Top 5 Best and Worst Places to Get High at the parks.
The overall breakdown of the final film will be:
- 50% Interviews with Expert Darksiders
- 40% Completing the DSoD Challenges
- 10% Personal Reflection with the Director and his Mom about obsessive Disney fandom.
How will the money be spent? That's a good question! Thanks to the tips in the DSoD book, the cost of the actual Disney adventure will hopefully be kept low as we procure cheaper hotel rooms and park tickets than the average guest. We still have a lot to consider:
- General Travel Expenses Not only to the park, but also to interview the expert Darksiders who live all over. Rental cars and airfare are not cheap, but we will do our best to keep costs low!
- Payment for the Crew I'll be going into the park with two other people to assist in the challenges and document our attempts and these kind fellows need to at least eat…
- Camera and Computer Equipment Extra hard drives will be required to store all the footage, special lenses for our cameras, and wireless microphones will be necessary in order to capture everything as it happens.
- Covert Video and Audio Recording Devices In addition to the regular DSLRs that we'll be using, we will also require micro cameras and special location recorders in order to stay under the radar and meet our goals with the least resistance.
- Post-Production Editing, sound design, color correction, mastering, exporting, converting, and authoring are all very expensive and time consuming.
- Soundtrack We're very lucky to be able to feature a soundtrack filled with original music by Gabe Schray, a great friend and amazing musician who deserves compensation for all his hard work.
- Festival Submission and Distribution Film Festival submission fees add up very quickly and seem to be going up every year. In order to ensure the success in not only the production of the film, but also it's distribution, submitting to festivals is mandatory. If no one picks it up, then it's up to us to self distribute, which also takes a lot of time and money to be successful.
$20,000 is the minimum we need to make this film, but what if we had more? Obviously, the bigger the budget, the larger the scope. Here's a breakdown of our flex goals just to get you excited:
- $25,000: Not only do we get to investigate the dark side of Walt Disney World in Florida, but with that extra $5,000 we can take this to Disneyland also. Leonard's book doesn't cover that park, who knows what we'll find? While there, we could investigate the Disney gangs that Vice magazine called, "awkward."
- $30,000: More money, more experts. We could now expand the scope of the film, talking to more "Darksiders" and hear tales of their adventures, further expanding the scope of the film.
- $50,000: Let's take this international! Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, Shanghai Disneyland, they're all out there! If we reach this amazing flex goal, we can find Darksiders in Europe and Asia in order to tell this story on a truly global scale.
What we're proposing is ridiculous and exciting and entertaining and insane and none of it happens without YOU.
The Dark Side of Disney book has sold over 40,000 copies to date. If even half of those people contributed only $1, we would make our goal.
With your support we can make this film and show people new ways to experience something that they love. We can make you feel like a kid again, while still acting like an adult. WE can make this movie. Don't you want to be a part of it?
Be sure to check out all the great rewards for backers! Rooftop party invites, early access to the film, digital downloads of the soundtrack featuring original music by Gabe Schray, signed copies of the DSoD book, handpicked pieces of Disney memorabilia from my mom's private collection with a personalized thank you note to you, limited edition signed Rolly Crump posters,
tickets to Disney parks to live out your own DSoD fantasies and an opportunity to "Drink Around the World...Showcase" in Epcot with the filmmakers!
Risks and challenges
The creation of every film has its risks and challenges, and this one is especially tricky because of its intended outcome. However, these risks and challenges are welcomed by the filmmakers as not roadblocks, but welcome hurdles that will hopefully enhance the overall quality of the film. If it was an easy film to make, why would we make it?
Feel free to ask any questions you may have. If you back this project, you deserve a response, that's the least we can do.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $5 or more
Early access to a digital download of the film upon completion!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
A thank you in the credits of the film AND an invite to the rooftop garden party in Manhattan celebrating the successful funding of the film.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
Same as previous reward plus a digital download of the soundtrack featuring original music by Gabe Schray and pre-release online access to the film when it's finished.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $50 or more
All previous rewards plus a special edition DVD of the film upon completion.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $100 or more
All previous rewards plus a copy of the book The Dark Side of Disney signed by the author, Leonard Kinsey.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $250 or more
7 backers Limited (3 left of 10)
All previous rewards plus a handwritten thank you note from my mom and a piece of official Disney memorabilia handpicked from her own collection!Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $500 or more
2 backers Limited (8 left of 10)
All previous rewards plus a set of limited edition posters signed by their creator and Disney Imagineer, Rolly Crump. The first is a print of the infamous "Marijuana Doper" poster, the sight of which once made Walt Disney laugh out loud! The second is a print of his classic "Oars for Rent" poster which hung in the house of Walt Disney's daughter for many years.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $1,000 or more
1 backer Limited (4 left of 5)
All previous rewards AND a 1 Day Pass to the Disney Park of your choice to live out your own DSoD fantasies!Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $2,500 or more
1 backer All gone!
All previous rewards PLUS an invitation to "Drink Around the World...Showcase" with the filmmakers as they attempt to have a drink in every country at Epcot. This reward DOES NOT include travel, hotel accommodations, or cost of food and drinks while at the park, but does include a 1 day pass to the park and will happen on a date yet to be determined.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
- (33 days)