TinyKeep's AI system (Part 2 of 5)
The 2nd AI update is here! This time we'll be following a little Fire Imp as we discuss Retreating and Defensive behaviours. Fire Imps (and other monsters marked with the "Shy" personality flag) will run away from the player if he gets too close. Put him in this level of distress for too long, and he'll breathe fire on you.
If you want to have a go - the interactive demo is here on the TinyKeep website along with all of the previous demos:
As with all of these AI behaviours, what you see on the video and demo are the default settings for each of the personality flags (Aggressive, Cautious, Shy, Lumbering etc...). However we've designed our AI editor to be a lot more flexible than that - so our game designer Ben can choose from a multitude of variables to customize his monsters:
- Enable/disable line of sight (blind monsters)
- Smell/sound sensitivity (monsters with amazing sense of smell)
- Roaming speed, chasing speed, fleeing speed
- Enable/disable wall avoidance (in case some monsters can walk through walls!)
- Distance threshold before alerted
- Require line of sight before alerted
- ...and many more!
We know that this will give us the ability to create really unique and varied monsters, and part of the fun of the game is figuring out the behaviours of each one.
Hope you enjoyed the post, and let us know if you have any more questions about the AI!