Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage is one of the best two-player games ever published. The game is renowned for its tense, well-balanced mechanics. And it tells a great story. HANNIBAL crossing the Alps on his herd of elephants is one of the most memorable events in history.
The development team at PHALANX has given this game a careful, meticulous update. It is now easier and faster to play. It plays considerably shorter. It has received new, stunning art. It is even better than it used to be.
And there's more to discover.
What's in the Box
Kickstarter Special Expansions
HANNIBAL & HAMILCAR is a card-driven political game for 2 players set during the Second Punic War, the epic struggle between ancient Rome and Carthage. That conflict has in many ways defined our modern reality. It took Rome over 100 years to win the competition with Carthage and three long wars were fought in the process. Our game takes considerably less time. Some scenarios are playable in under 30 minutes.
HANNIBAL has been designed by one of the most acclaimed designers in the world, Mark Simonitch. This 20th Anniversary Edition of the game includes new scenarios and variants. We have streamlined certain game mechanics, while producing exactly the same game results as the golden classic. The game original rules and components were updated by Mark Simonitch and Jaro Andruszkiewicz.
HANNIBAL has won numerous awards, including the Golden Geek Best 2-Player Board Game Award and the Golden Geek Best Wargame Award, and is ranked 11th on the BoardGameGeek.com's Wargame Rankings.
HANNIBAL is actually more of an asymmetrical political game than a wargame. It presents a conflict between two superpowers of Antiquity from a classical Clausewitzian perspective, according to which a power only reverts to military operations when there is no other way to achieve the goal: political dominance.
The long-awaited HAMILCAR companion game is also included in the Anniversary Edition.
HAMILCAR, which is set during the First Punic War, is a stand-alone game using similar mechanics. It introduces a naval system and exciting naval battles. Both players compete for control of the Mediterranean Sea, in a conflict which will be described as the first war between an elephant and a whale - the struggle of a land-based empire versus the world’s naval power. Rome's goal was to break through the island chain of Sicily, Corsica, and Sardinia - Carthage's defensive line to contain Rome on the Italian peninsula.
Example of Gameplay
Hannibal begins in Spain and needs to move quickly to Italy if he wants to protect his allies in Gallia Cisalpina and secure the province.
1. Carthage plays a Forced March card and moves Hannibal from Saguntum to Helvii.
2. Rome plays Allied Auxiliaries from ETRURIA and brings P. Scipio army to 10 Combat Units.
3. Hannibal, with the help of Native Guide sets out a journey across the Alps. He loses 1 Combat Unit to Attrition (roll of 3) and arrives in a friendly tribe space.
4. Rome is itching for battle. A Campaign card is played and P. Scipio moves to meet Hannibal in a battle which will be remembered as the Battle of Trebbia.
P. Scipio attacks with Frontal Attack in a true Roman style. This is matched by Hannibal, who seizes the Initiative. He attacks with his Right Flank and even if the Roman Consul is able to respond twice, he is unable to take the Initiative. Both sides lose 2 Combat Units each, and P. Scipio loses another 4 Combat Units in Retreat.
P.Scipio retreats to Rome. The Roman player has to remove 3 Political Control markers as Political Consequences of the Battle.
5. The Carthaginian player plays the Numidian Ally strategy card to place three Political Control markers in Gallia Cisalpina to seize control of the province.
6. Cathage has established a foothold in Italy. Now Rome is in danger. Hannibal ante portas!
20th Anniversary Edition features
- State-of-the-art map board.
- New card illustrations based on historical sources.
- New improved layout of the board, charts, and cards. “Learn and Play” playbook. Read a few pages, than play a scenario before moving forward.
- 20 years of game development in a single box: includes 13 historical scenarios (e.g. First Punic War 264-241 B.C., Second Punic War 218-201 B.C., Post Cannae 215-201 B.C., Iberia 210-205 B.C., Italy 207-204 B.C., Africa 204-201 B.C.), and tutorial scenarios!
- Long-awaited HAMILCAR companion game. New map, strategy cards and leaders. And a handful of exciting new mechanics.
- Large, 40 mm scale plastic leader miniatures in 16 different sculpts! Based on 7 mm tall and 25 mm wide round bases (with leader ratings), in red for Rome and blue for Carthage.
Each of these pledge levels includes the complete game, two Kickstarter Special Expansions, and any additional content we may generate during the campaign. After the campaign, the MSRP of this game will be £80 ($100, €95), and MSRP of each expansion will be £8 ($10, €10), so pledge now and save $40! You will choose your language edition in the Pledge Manager (English, French, German, Spanish) after the campaign.
Why pledge now?
- To save 20%! After the campaign, the retail price of Mark Simonitch’s HANNIBAL & HAMILCAR will be £80 ($100, €95).
- To receive the game before it hits retail distribution.
- To help an independent publisher to design, develop, and publish unique, challenging games!
- To get two free Kickstarter Special Expansions: Sun of Macedon Expansion and Price of Failure Expansion. Retail value £16 ($20, €20).
This is a simple, straightforward campaign. The design is complete, with more than 20 years of development and playtesting behind it. With this campaign we are back to Kickstarter basics. There will be no rule-changing expansions and stretch goals. We will use them only to improve the game components. In order to do so, we need to use Kickstarter. We offer a great product for a great price and a short fulfillment period. There is no hidden agenda. We offer a great and simple deal.
Estimated delivery for the game is November 2017 or Essen SPIEL 2017 Pick-up (26-29.10.2017).
Stretch goals are added to every game for free.
No Kickstarter exclusives
We are players at heart, so we are against Kickstarter exclusives. That is why we have prepared Kickstarter Special Expansions: free for our backers, and available later in retail, but at an additional cost.
We are offering some add-ons that you can add to your pledge.
To add Card Holders to your pledge, please increase your pledged amount by £14 by clicking on the Manage your pledge button. When the campaign is concluded, you will confirm your choice of add-on items in the Pledge Manager. This add-on is language independent, requires a simple assembly and does not affect the shipping cost.
To add Giant Playing Mat to your pledge, just increase your pledged amount by £45, clicking on the Manage your pledge button. This add-on is in English, German, French and Spanish edition. The estimated shipping cost is an extra £7-£10 per mat, and this will be paid in the pledge manager after the campaign ends.
To add Premium Classic Generals box to your pledge, just increase your pledged amount by £20, clicking on the Manage your pledge button. This add-on is language independent and does not affect the shipping cost.
To add Extra Dice Set to your pledge, just increase your pledged amount by £6, clicking on the Manage your pledge button. This add-on is language independent and does not affect the shipping cost.
To add 220 PALADIN™ Sleeves to your pledge, just increase your pledged amount by £8, clicking on the Manage your pledge button. This add-on is language independent and does not affect the shipping cost.
To include Game add-ons to your pledge, please click on the Manage your pledge button. Increase your total pledged amount to include any items you would like to receive. You need to purchase at least one copy of the HANNIBAL & HAMILCAR game to be able to include add-ons to your pledge.
You will inform us in the Pledge Manager which items you have added in your order. The estimated shipping cost of each 1944: Race to the Rhine and The Magnates is +£7 per game; Germania Magna, Days of Honour, and HUNGER is +£5 per game.
More than 4,000 players have rated Hannibal Rome vs Carthage on BoardGameGeek.com, placing this game in the 11th rank in the wargame category (out of more than 7,700 wargames in the database)! Here are some reviews of this all-time classic.
"If you like card driven games, and you've never tried Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, drop whatever it is you're doing right now and go get a copy. You won't regret it. If you like wargames in general, at the very least give this game a try... it might surprise you. If you're a euro player looking for a new introduction to wargaming, you couldn't find a better spot to jump in with both feet. I have played a fair number of card driven games (and this bears repeating so forgive me), but Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage remains my favorite. Its elegance, simplicity and relatively decent game time makes it the cream of the crop even after all these years. I don't care whether I'm winning or I'm losing (though of course I'd prefer the former), as long as I'm playing. Grab (or try) a copy."
"This game is exceptional. I love (nearly) everything about it and cannot begin to describe how much fun it is to play. I fear I cannot continue without repeating things I've already mentioned so I'll just leave it at this. Great game, if you can get your hands on it I heartily, heartily recommend you do so."
"Overall, the gameplay was everything I hoped it would be and more. Sweeping political struggle underpinned by tense tactical battles with varied and subtle consequences, this game really got under my skin in a good way. After 3 plays I think I have barely scratched the surface of this game, and I really look forward to delving deeper."
How to play
"It was tightest, closest and most furious game I've ever had. The pendulum of fate swung from one side to another, stopping at the end on Carthaginian side. We both made mistakes and we both experienced how random this game can be but still it was one of best games I've ever played - by this I mean not only games of Hannibal but of all games I've ever played in my life. My rating of Hannibal Rome vs Carthage goes up from 9 to 10 and I could only wish it could further than that."
Production & delivery
The games are produced in EU (with miniatures and dice produced in China), keeping the normal high standards of PHALANX. If you back us on Kickstarter, you will receive the game several weeks before the games reach any other retail outlets! Our goal is to produce HANNIBAL & HAMILCAR within 100 days of reaching our funding goal and have the game debut at Essen SPIEL Fair 2017 (26-29.10.2017). The Kickstarter backers will have their copies delivered no later than November 2017.
You will be asked to pay shipping in the Pledge Manager after the campaign. At that time, you will be able to add extra copies of the game and items from our Add-on list. Additional items may increase the shipping costs.
PHALANX is responsible for shipping English language games. The games will be shipped out from USA, EU, Canada and Australia. The estimated shipping cost is:
- USA $15 to most states, $30 to Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.
- Canada $20.
- EU €10 to most countries (Poland - free).
- Other European countries €15 - €30.
- Asia $30 (Israel $25)
- Australia $25
- New Zealand $35
- Oceania $45
- Latin America $45
- Africa $45
CASE PLEDGE can give you significant savings on shipping costs! Example: shipping cost to most EU countries is €10 for a single game and €15 for the CASE PLEDGE. This saves you €45 on shipping.
Contact us for specific countries if you have any questions.
- en France métropolitaine de 12,50 euros (£10,50).
- en Belgique de 18 euros (£15).
- en Suisse de 20 euros (£17).
- au Canada (Québec) de $20 (£15,50).
- en France métropolitaine de 28 euros (£23,50).
- en Belgique de 35 euros (£29,50).
- en Suisse de 50 euros (£42).
Feuerland Spiele is responsible for shipping German language games. The estimated shipping cost is:
- Germany: 7 €
- EU countries: 12 €
- Switzerland: 18 €
- Rest of the World: 30 €
- España (Península) o Portugal: £6 por el juego HANNIBAL & HAMILCAR Edición en Español y £6 por cada juego adicional O MAPA GIGANTE (las expansiones y extras de los juegos estan incluidas).
- España (Baleares): £8 por el juego HANNIBAL & HAMILCAR Edición en Español y £8 por cada juego adicional O MAPA GIGANTE (las expansiones y extras de los juegos están incluidas).
- España (Canarias, Ceuta o Melilla): £11 por el juego HANNIBAL & HAMILCAR Edición en Español y £11 por cada juego adicional o MAPA GIGANTE (las expansiones y extras de los juegos estan incluidas).
- Norteamérica (USA y Canada), Centroamérica y Sudamérica (incluyendo Brasil): £34 por el juego HANNIBAL & HAMILCAR Edición en Español y £34 por cada juego adicional (las expansiones y extras de los juegos están incluidas). £15 por cada MAPA GIGANTE.
- SOLO Norteamérica (USA y Canada), Centroamérica y Sudamérica (incluyendo Brasil) PACK 6 UNIDADES: £111 por 6 COPIAS del juego HANNIBAL & HAMILCAR Edición en Español (las expansiones y extras de los juegos están incluidas). £15 por cada MAPA GIGANTE.
You will be able to choose the option for free pickup during Essen Spiel 2017 (26-29.10.2017) in the Pledge Manager after the campaign (for all language editions!). It will save you shipping costs and let you meet us in person! Strongly recommended! :)
If you're a retailer, please contact us at sales[at]vertima.trade to receive an offer. We have prepared a great deal for you!
Backing the game is a great way to support the project and we thank you for your support. The next best thing you could do is to help us build awareness for the game by following us and sharing our posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and elsewhere.
Please subscribe to our newsletter (just send an email to: newsletter[at]phalanxgames.co.uk) to be the first to know about our future releases.
Who are we?
Mark Simonitch’s HANNIBAL & HAMILCAR is designed and published by people passionate about both the tabletop experience and history. PHALANX is an international publisher that has been publishing board games since 2009. Our goal is to publish beautiful, challenging games with original themes. We are known for great quality products and customer-focused service. We cooperate with the largest companies on the market, such as Stonemaier Games, Mayfair Games, KOSMOS, Academy Games, Asyncron games, Ediciones MasQueOca, Feuerland Spiele, and Morning Family. We have already published various games in English, and many people enjoy playing them. 1944: Race to the Rhine was voted one of the best wargames of 2014. Others include The Magnates: A Game of Power, Germania Magna: Border in Flames, and Days of Honor.
This project is Kicktraq Day-1 Project. If you love charts (yes, we do), please visit:
PHALANX has been publishing board games since 2009.
Our products are known for great quality, just like our customer service. We co-publish games with the largest companies on the market, like Stonemaier Games, Mayfair Games, KOSMOS, Academy Games, Asyncron games and Ediciones MasQueOca.
This is our second Kickstarter campaign: in 2016 we successfully fulfilled the Germania Magna: Border in Flames campaign.
We do not expect delays in production, but unforeseen issues may arise during manufacturing and shipping. We estimate that in the worst case scenario, the production might suffer delays of at most 15 days, and shipping & customs may add some extra 15-30 days. We are experienced with large production runs, and we are preparing back-up plans for each step of the project, from production to shipping and final delivery.
By pledging on this project you agree that our responsibility to you is to ship your order as entered into the pledge management system. You are responsible for import or other duties that may be payable to relevant tax authorities. You also accept that you are fully liable for incorrect shipping details and will risk your pledge being undeliverable or lost in transit. We are unable to ship to PO Boxes. We allow a maximum of 1 delivery location per backer, regardless of number of pledges / copies ordered.
If you do not accept the proposed terms, then please do not pledge on this project; wait for the retail release.