Extra Update - Contests
Today we are doing an extra update to take a look at our contests and what became of them. As it turns out, we had some problems to determine the winners, because we created them based on a false premise - that facebook, like twitter, allows you to search for #tags for a long time after they get posted. Turns out that is not the case, which makes it hard for us to know who actually won the contests. But we think we have it figured out.
1. The Mighty Pop Culture Contest of Adventure
As far as we know, nobody won this one. Here is the list of (intended) references, cameos, and easter eggs in our kickstarter videos:
- 0:01 - Day of the Tentacle (intro)
- 0:33 - Monkey Island (spoken)
- 0:37 - Little Big Planet (spoken)
- 0:40 - The Sims (spoken)
- 1:32 - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (fight style and UI)
- 1:58 - Gremlins (1984)
- 2:50 - Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (book pixel hunting scene)
- 4:07 - Tim Schafer
- 5:34 - Cthulhu
- 5:38 - Michelangelo's The Creation of Adam
- 5:41 - The Flying Spaghetti Monster
- 5:42 - The Matrix
- 0:30 - Pinky & the Brain
- 0:43 - Brutal Legend
- 0:04 - Total Biscuit
- 1:18 - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
- 1:18 - Grim Fandango
- 1:19 - Darwin
- 1:19 - Monalisa
- 1:19 - Isaac Newton
- 1:19 - Obama
- 2:58 - Guns N Roses (Welcome to the Jungle)
- 2:58 - Angry Birds (Angry Bears)
- 2:58 - Minecraft's Notch (Notch's Village)
- 2:58 - The Village People
- 3:12 - Castle Crashers (game)
- 3:12 - Dungeon Defenders (game)
The posters still have access to permalinks to their old posts, so if someone out there had a post with these references (or close to it), you have until the next monthly update (October 6th) to send me a permalink to it and grab the combo loot.
2. I Like it, you like it, we like it!
Provisional winner: Rodrigo Hülsenbeck
As far as we know, Rodrigo Hülsenbeck had the post with the #Adventurezator tag with the most likes, 80. I think Nuuvem platform had a post with hundreds of likes, but without the tag (IIRC).
As with the first contest, if someone out there had a post with more likes, you have until the next monthly update (October 6th) to send me a permalink to it.
3. The Awesome List of Social Awesomeness
At twiiter, there was only one poster with more than 1k followers that actually used the tag. So he comes first in the list. Fortunately for us, twiiter is much better at searching for stuff than facebook is, with or without tags, so we can properly thank everyone that posted about us with a large following:
Twiiter mentions > 1k: (ordered by # of followers)
- Tom Chambers - @bomsenhor
- IndieDB - @IndieDB
- Caio Corraini - @CaioCorraini
- GAMESFODA - @GAMESFODA
- IndiePub Games - @indiePub
- Heitor De Paola - @zitosilva
- Rique Sampaio - @RiqueSampaio
- Andika arya pratama - @dikapratamaarya
- INDIERETRONEWS - @Indie_RetroNEWS
And now what I looked at it, Tom Chambers is actually the one with the largest following, even bigger than IndieDB, which makes him double awesome! He's totally getting invited for beta if he's not already there (couldn't find his pledge level)
Rique Sampaio also deserves special thanks - we made a huge interview with me what was published at a large gaming news site here (in portuguese)
And these guys also posted about the Adventurezator in other places, with even more visibility, which makes them even more awesome:
- Al Lowe (mentioned us in one of his Cyberjoke 3000 mails)
- Gilliard Lopes (PodQuest interview with me on episode #64)
- Mike Diskett (shoutout in an update in Satellite Reign - pretty impressive!)
- Sandro Tomasetti (shoutout in an update in Chroma Squad)
- Thiago Diniz (a post about us on the Nuuvem Platform facebook page - link lost)
We'd also like to thank all the media outlets that wrote about us. We won't post all of them here, but special thanks to Rock-Paper-Shotgun (specially Craig Pearson) for writing this article on us. And Adam Smith for writing the brilliant catchfrase "Madness! Brilliant madness" on a Kickstarter Katchup.
You've gotten used to it, so I can't let you down - here's some stuff of things we did the past week.
Morais was polishing up the first level for the alpha build and took this screenshot:
I loved this and how he's looking at the camera. By the way, if you are wondering about his thing hanging out, he lost it when he was transformed from a human. He didn't have his magic pants on...
And here's our very first help notes, on the Main Menu:
We decided to have most of our in-game help done before starting the alpha, to ensure everything is as easy to get into as we want, so that'll add another couple weeks before our first build is out.
Thanks for reading, and I'll see you next time!