Super Chibi Knight is a classic 2-D platforming hack n' slash RPG for PC, Mac, and Linux.
Go on a single-player adventure with a quirky story crafted by the game's programmer/artist and his 8 year-old daughter (who also stars as the voice actress)!
This is a full-sized sequel to the original Chibi Knight web game, but this is NOT A WEB GAME! This game is at least 5 times bigger than the original and designed as a PC/Mac/Linux download for full-screen play with a gaming controller. (Click here to play the original web game!)
Enter the Kingdom of Oukoku to battle a mysterious sorcerer who has unleashed his minions on the kingdom's citizens.
As you track down the sorcerer, General Tso, you'll run into:
- 10 unique levels for Armor, Special, and Sword, each with their own custom look and power profile
- 5 unlockable specialty attacks to vanquish your enemies
- 2 custom class paths that significantly impact the game's outcome (Beast-master or Sorcerer)
- 4 Findable spells for the Sorcerer Path
- 4 Rideable Beast Mounts for the Beast-master path
- Tons of great (and huge) multi-stage bosses
- A plethora of secrets that only the truly adventurous will discover
- Amazing custom sound track by composer Brian Holmes
- Unique art style by the creator of the original Chibi Knight
- Adorable voice acting by the creator's 8 year-old daughter!
$6 - Player
You just pre-bought the game! We will send you a DRM-free digital download link, or, if we get the Greenlight on Steam, a Steam key (your choice). Pledge in the first 10 days of the Kickstarter campaign and get this reward for only $5!
$15 - Listener:
Get a digital copy of the soundtrack in .mp3 format and a DRM-free digital download link for the game (or a Steam key if applicable)!
$17 True Kickstarter (New Reward 3/3/2014)
Digital Game Download, Digital Soundtrack Download (Over 30 minutes of custom Super Chibi music), "Kickstarter Exclusive" Game Version with custom Kickstarter-specific splash screen and Kickstarter-only "Kick-saber" sword to use in the game! Puts YOUR name in the credits for all versions of the game (this tier's rewards included for all backers at and above $17 USD)
$49 - Collector (Limit: 100 Backers)
Get the downloadable soundtrack, the downloadable game, and your choice of a Super Chibi Knight t-shirt in your desired size! (See designs below)
$85 - Super Collector (Limit: 100 Backers)
Get the downloadable soundtrack, the downloadable game, a sweet poster pack of SCK art, and 2 Super Chibi Knight t-shirts in your desired size(s)! The first 25 backers at this level will get posters signed by Nick and Bella!
$150 - Off the Chain (Limit: 50 Backers)
Get the downloadable soundtrack, the downloadable game, the SIGNED poster pack, 2 t-shirts, and 1 limited-edition collectible key chain of your choice.
$250 - Un-chained Melody (Limit: 50 Backers)
Get the downloadable soundtrack, the downloadable game, the SIGNED poster pack, 2 t-shirts, and all 3 collectible keychains!
$450 - Face Time (Limit: 10 Backers)
Want to be in the game? Send me a photo and a personal description and I'll model and name an in-game NPC after you! You'll also get the soundtrack, the game, 2 t-shirts, SIGNED posters, and all 3 key chains.
$1,000 - Level Playing Field (Limit: 3 Backers)
Want to decide the theme of an area in the game? Consult with me to decide how a level will look, what enemies will appear, and come up with a new unique beast-mount. It could be all about you, or some fantasy world you've always imagined... Your imagination is the limit! Comes with the game download, the soundtrack download, the SIGNED posters, 2 t-shirts, and all 3 key chains!
- Why do you need the money?
I recently went full-time as a freelancer making web games and doing various other programming and design jobs. Since making the change, I haven't been able to work on Super Chibi Knight in my spare time like I once did. I really want to see this game come to light, but to finish it I need to be able to focus on it full-time (plus!) for at least a couple months. Your pledges will go toward paying for me to live (on Ramen and fish-sticks) for 2 months while I finish making a game that will win your heart.
- How are you going to do this by yourself?
I've made large games in the past (Abobo's Big Adventure for example, winner of Newgrounds Game of the Year for 2012 and Best Action/Adventure Game of 2012 on JayIsGames, with more than 8.3 million downloads).
Super Chibi Knight already has some good progress made towards completion (about 1/2 way done right now). We've already done an extensive alpha test with good results and now it's just a matter of having the funds to allow me to focus on finishing it.
I have a proven track record of finishing high-quality games, here are a few of my games you may have heard of:
- Castle Crashing The Beard: Platforming Hack n' Slash - More than 15.2 Million Plays
- Chibi Knight (The Original Web Game): Platforming Hack n' Slash RPG - More than 10 Million Plays
- Labyrinth: Secrets of ShadowHaven: Platforming Roguelike - More than 300k Plays in 2 Weeks
- Portal Defenders: Beatemup - More than 8.3 Million Plays
- Cave of Wonders: Platforming Hack n' Slash - More than 9.3 Million Plays
- Pico Blast: Run n' Gun - More than 20.5 Million Plays
- Madness: Premeditation: Platforming Puzzler - More than 4.3 Million Plays
- Nephi's Adventure: Point and Click Adventure - More than 1 Million Plays
- Trick or Treat Adventure Quest: Point and Click Adventure - More than 2 Million Plays
- Why are you involving your 8 year-old daughter?
Simple answer: We enjoy working on stuff together!
Long Answer: I hope that this sparks an interest in her for creating things. I hope this shows her she can do difficult things and do them well. I hope it gets her interested in coding and art and voice-acting and film-making and animating and game design. I hope it teaches her that she can accomplish anything she's committed to. I think her voice acting and character designs add a uniquely cute dimension that would be missing without her help.
- On what platforms will it be available?
Super Chibi Knight will be available on PC, Mac, and Linux.
- When can we play it?
We are aiming for a Summer 2014 release date.
- Will it be on Steam?
We currently have a Greenlight campaign running here:
We could use your "YES" vote!
- Can I be a beta tester?
Sure! Sign up here: http://www.superchibiknight.com
- Where can I follow development progress?
- Vote us up on Steam Greenlight!
- Make a pledge and follow us here on Kickstarter!
- How will it be distributed?
You will get your copy of Super Chibi Knight through a DRM-free download link from my website or, if it gets the Greenlight on Steam, you can choose to get a Steam Key instead.
Check out the stretch goals above. Any extra funds beyond those will go toward:
- Added production value (more detailed art, backgrounds, animation, effects, extra music, voice acting)
- Increased Marketing Budget
- Code Optimization
- Language Localization
- Pizza and Pasta ;-)
Nick has made over 40 games in the last 10 years that have been played over 75 million times. He loves classic games, especially from the NES era, and programmed an independent game many consider "The Ultimate Tribute to the NES": Abobo's Big Adventure. He enjoys action games and making pasta.
Bella is an emerging voice-actress and concept artist. She loves all things Chinese, especially Pandas!
Brian is a talented musician that always seems to nail the perfect mood and emotion for any game project he takes on. Listen to his music here:
Risks and challenges
The biggest risk I foresee is a delayed release-date. As with any project, setbacks can compound and drive back the expected completion goal. While I am experienced in making large-scale games, some territory will be new to me (like cross-platform compatibility and game-controller compatibility). I have made my best guesses at how much time these hurdles will require, but appreciate your support and patience coupled with my personal guarantee that this game WILL be made regardless of the obstacles that might pop up along the way.
The game is already well-along in its progress (over 1/2 way done) and has even undergone a phase of alpha testing. This Kickstarter's purpose is to provide the funds necessary for me to dedicate myself full-time+ to polishing off the rest.
If you think I've missed something, feel free to send me a message and I'll try my best to answer your questions, comments, or concerns.
In the meantime, check out the other games I've made that will help demonstrate an established track record that I see projects through to completion:Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)