THE WORK AIN'T OVER - STRETCH GOALS
We met our funding goal (THANK YOU EVERYONE!) but the work’s not over yet. All pledges now are more pre-orders than investments, and will give us more cash flexibility to get an early crack at some projects we had lined up for down the road... (read the full stretch goal project update)
$50,000 - Oats-in-a-Cup
- At 50k we’ll be able to start sourcing packaging options and test-running individual serve-in-the-cup cups. One more way for Picky Oats to take “fast food” to a new level.
$60,000 - Multi-serving Resealable Bag
- We hear your requests to limit excess waste and offer larger/smaller portion sizes, and would love to bring a multi-serve bag to our line up. It’s on the radar, and at 60k we can start reeling it in.
We’ve also added a new reward level, “The Full Send”, which is a month’s supply of Performance Oatmeal for anyone looking to stock up, level up their pledge, or who eats three packs at a time like Jesse does.
Have you found yourself troubled with any of the following breakfast conundrums?
- Your packet of instant oats kept you full for about two minutes before giving way to a massive sugar high, eventually leaving you in a mid-morning crash with your stomach audibly demanding second breakfast.
- The massive bulk bin container of oats you equipped your kitchen with is more boring and troublesome than it is anything else, and is a real sad way to start your day.
- Your pantry looks like a frozen yogurt topping bar with all the mix-ins you're adding to those plain oats (totally counteracting their frugality), and while delicious, your concoctions are definitely not nutritionally balanced.
That’s why we took our athletic know-how, chef’s vision, and experience creating real food products to make Picky Oats, the first Performance Oatmeal on the planet*! We took this familiar breakfast food that’s trusted by athletes, professionals, and high performing people on the go and elevated it - Balancing it for optimal nutrition, lasting energy, and of course, incredible taste.
*awaiting fact check
Introducing Picky Oats Performance Oatmeal
When we set out to tackle creating an oatmeal built for performance, we had a few non-negotiables:
1) It had to taste good, first and foremost. Unique flavor combos and high quality “power ingredients” like beetroot powder, matcha, and chia seeds line our all-star ingredient list.
2) Uncompromising nutrition. 10 grams of all natural protein, low sugar (most of which comes from fruits), and a healthy dose of fat and fiber to keep you full and your tank running.
3) Convenience. Packable, portable, and easy to prep. Whether you’re traveling or backpacking, just stir in some hot water, grab your spoon, and get going. Booyah!
To bring all this to life we brought Elyse Kopecky on board, a wizard in the kitchen and New York Times Best Selling author of the cookbook Run Fast Eat Slow. She’s also a trained nutrition coach and former D1 collegiate athlete, so yeah, she knows her stuff.
What’d she come up with? Three flavors of all organic, gluten free, ridiculously delicious performance oatmeal that are carefully balanced to fuel your next big race day, work day, or just whenever the day needs a boost to get it going on the right foot.
- High functioning “power ingredients” like beetroot powder, matcha green tea, and chia seeds
- 40% less sugar than conventional instant oatmeal options
- 100% organic and gluten-free
- 300+ calories servings - Enough to fuel you but not weigh you down
- 10g all natural protein
How 'Bout Dem Apples
Apples, Cinnamon, Chia Seeds & Ginger
A top shelf upgrade to the classic! We amped up our version of this favorite with spicy ginger and energizing chia seeds for maximum cardio and recovery benefits. (They’re full of protein, omega 3s, and fiber, plus a host of other antioxidant and anti-inflammatory goodness.) Toss in almonds, date bits, and a little sprinkle of coconut sugar, and you’ve got a familiar yet fancified bowl of oats that’ll power you through whatever your day has in store. How 'bout dem apples?
- INGREDIENTS: rolled oats, almonds, chia seeds, dates, dried apples, coconut sugar, sea salt, Red Ape ® cinnamon, ginger
Can't Beet Chocolate
Beet, Cacao, Chia Seeds & Almond
Oatmeal isn't typically a “pretty” food (despite its heavy presence on Pinterest…) but this is NOT that beige and boring bowl of mush. Vibrant magenta thanks to organic beetroot powder, and ribbons of chocolate chip goodness, this bowl of oats is close-up AND workout ready. Cacao powder gives a rich yet not overly sweet balance to the nitrate-rich beets (hello, endurance boost!), while chia seeds and almonds give a crunch and extra antioxidant punch.
- INGREDIENTS: rolled oats, dates, chia seeds, almonds, chocolate chips (cane sugar, cocoa liquor, cocoa butter), beet powder, Holy Kakow® cacao powder (single origin, minimally processed cacao), sea salt
Game, Set, Matcha!
Matcha, Goji Berries, Pepitas & Cardamom [25mg of caffeine]
The bowl of oatmeal you never knew you needed, this ingredient list is pulled straight from the foodiest of foodies’ cupboards. Matcha - a Japanese green tea that’s been shown to aid in recovery - gives a nice antioxidant and caffeinated boost. Mix in mineral-rich pepitas and superfood goji berries - which legend has Himalayan monks used to gain greater health and vitality - and you’ve got a bowl of oats that hardcore athletes and foodies alike will appreciate.
- INGREDIENTS: rolled oats, pepitas, dates, chia seeds, goji berries, coconut sugar, matcha green tea powder, sea salt, cardamom
So, why should you trust us with the most important meal of your day?
We're a real food company founded, owned, and run by three professional athletes (triathlete Jesse Thomas and runners/coaches Lauren Fleshman and Steph Bruce). We've spent the last seven years making energy bars that athletes and adventurers all over the world trust for their biggest days and regular routines. We added Elyse to the team for Picky Oats because if there’s anyone who can make something as basic as oatmeal be both super-powered AND super tasty, it’s her. She brings foodie street cred with the calculated balancing act of peak nutrition, and we think you’ll love what she's come up with.
If you know Picky you probably saw a trucker hat coming, and is a Bend company really even a Bend company if they don't have a Hydro Flask with their logo on it? We put together some pretty sick rewards (own horn, tooted!), and on top of things to wear and eat/drink out of, you could lock down personalized coaching, a weekend in Bend, or to hang out as Jesse's BFF in Kona before IM Champs. Maximum awesomeness potential available. One size fits all.
Risks and challenges
You might be asking yourself, why is a seven year old energy bar company turning to Kickstarter to launch a new product? We're glad you asked! First of all, we’re still 100% founder owned. Everything that comes out of here is funded on our own dime (sometimes quarter if we’re lucky). Unlike launching a new flavor of Picky Bars, Picky Oats involves a ton of money out of the gate, like product development, ingredient and packaging costs, new manufacturing, as well as the tricky aspect of forecasting sales and stocking product before it's sold. As a small company without outside investment, it can be tough to fund projects that involve that amount of extensive capital up front.
The good news is, we've figured out nearly all of it. Our recipes are finalized, ingredient and packaging suppliers have been sourced, and we found a great co-packer just over the mountains in Eugene who can put it all together for us. Picky Oats are ready!
All we need are some hungry backers to bring it to life.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (15 days)