The Travel Line: Versatile Travel Backpack + Packing Tools
Luggage redefined: a carry-on Travel Backpack and system of Packing Tools designed around the idea that no two trips are the same.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Fri, September 21 2018 12:00 AM UTC +00:00.
Frequently Asked Questions
Easy peasy. Here's what you do:
1. Become a backer of this project. At the top of the page click the green ""Back This Project"" button. If you're already a backer, click ""Manage My Pledge.""
2. Add the amount that corresponds to the size Pouch(es) or Cube(s) that you would like:
Tech Pouch: $48
Wash Pouch: $48
Packing Cubes: Small $24, Medium $32
Camera Cubes: Small $40, Medium $56, Large: $72,
Shoe Pouch $20
Rain Fly $24.
Then save your pledge. Note that you can order multiple items by doubling/tripling/etc. the amount you increase your pledge by.
3. You're done for now. When we send out our fulfillment survey (late September) you will be told how much "credit" you have from your Kickstarter pledge. The credit will correspond to the amount of extra money you added to your pledge. You will then use that credit to add Range Pouch, or any other add-on products to your order.
-- If you want to Pre-Order Pouch(es) or Cube(s) on their own, choose the "$1 Travel Line Á La Carte" Reward and simply adjust the pledge amount in green at the top to equal which item/s you would like --
Tech Pouch: $48
Wash Pouch: $48
Packing Cubes: Small $24, Medium $32
Camera Cubes: Small $40, Medium $56, Large: $72,
Shoe Pouch $20
Rain Fly $24.
Then save your pledge. Note that you can order multiple items by doubling/tripling/etc. the amount of your pledge. (If you only order pouches/cubes and no other bags, they will be shipped at a reduced shipping fee ($15 US/CAN, $20 AUS, $17 EU, $25 ALL OTHER LOCATIONS) Please add this to your pledge amount if you are ONLY ordering pouches/cubes
You will let us know the details of what "add-on" items you pledged for in the survey we send out in the survey once the campaign is over.Last updated:
Want to add an extra item to your reward? Simple. Here's how:
1. If you’ve already pledged to this project, click the “Manage My Pledge” button at the top of the page. If not, click “Back this project” and pick one of the rewards. Every backer can pick one and only one reward level.
2. Look at the Add-On Menu in the project description. Find the item(s) you want to add. Increase your reward by the corresponding dollar amount. You do not need to add any extra money for shipping beyond the shipping surcharge that is part of your reward.
3. That’s it, you’re done for now. No need to do anything else until after the project ends on September 20th.
In the weeks following Sept. 20 we will send every backer a survey. In that survey you will tell us which specific items you want to add on to your reward. You will also have the chance to add Peak Design products to your reward that are not in the Add-On Menu (see the next FAQ). You will give us your shipping details at that time.
See STEP BY STEP with Photos HERE:
Want to add a Peak Design product to your reward that is not in the Add On menu? We got you covered. Here’s what you do:
1. During this project, you don’t do anything. Just pick your reward, that’s it.
2. A week or two after our funding period ends (Sept. 20) we’ll send you a survey to collect shipping information. As part of that survey, you’ll be able to add on any additional Peak Design items you want (anything found at peakdesign.com) and pay us the extra amount right then and there.
3. When we ship your reward, we’ll include those extra items in the same shipment.
Why did we not include all of our products in the Add-On Menu? We wanted to make it a less confusing experience for folks. In our past several Kickstarter projects, 80% of our questions were of or relating to the Add-On Menu. It’s time we simplify, and have our main focus be on our new products. But, you’ll still be able to get all the benefit of adding additional items to your Kickstarter reward.
Will we give a special discount for items not on the Add-On Menu? Yes. It’ll likely be about $5 to $10 off each product.Last updated:
In short, not exactly.
You can only choose 1 reward when you back a Kickstarter project. That is a limitation of the Kickstarter platform and something we cannot change.
You can also add additional items onto your reward in a piecemeal fasion. To do this, we created the Add-On Menu. See the above FAQ.
If, for example, you want 2x of everything in the ""Travel Bundle"" Reward, you can use the Add-On Menu to add the additional quantity of each product. But it's not as simple as just doubling your pledge amount - instead, you'll need to add the individual Add-On Menu prices together, and increase your pledge by that amount. The ""Bundle"" Reward levels have special discount pricing built into them. The Add-On Menu also has prices discounted from MSRP, but less so than the bundle reward levels.Last updated:
We added quantity limits to our rewards as a precaution that will prevent us from taking more pre-orders than what we can confidently deliver in our December timeframe. If we hit our reward quantity limits, we'll make a new set of identical rewards that deliver a month or two later. So, if you or a friend is considering backing a reward, backing sooner will increase your chances of December delivery.
A few things to note here:
- These quantity limits are estimates and not absolutes. They exist so we can accurately set your expectations and avoid making promises we cannot deliver on. If we approach quantity limits, we'll certainly do everything in our power to boost production to meet demand.
- These quantity limits are based on the production schedule for the Travel Backpack 45L, and not any of our other products. That's because the Backpack will undoubtedly be the most popular item in the campaign, and it also takes the longest time to make.
- We did not apply a limit to the A La Carte Reward level. That's because when you back the A La Carte Reward level we won't know which products you want until the campaign is over. Same goes for people who back the higher Reward levels...there's no way of us knowing if you plan to add on another Backpack until the campaign has ended. This is a limitation of Kickstarter that we simply must work around. Our quantity limits take this all into account, and are appropriately conservative.Last updated:
We have every intention of shipping all rewards so that they leave our warehouses by early December. That means about 95% of backers (who fill out their fullfiment surveys correctly and on time) should get their new products before Christmas.
Please understand that this is our goal...we'll do everything we can to make it happen...but it is by no means a guarantee. To be clear, we cannot guarantee that packages will be at your doorstep before Christmas. December is an exceptionally busy month for post services worldwide, and delays happen on a regular basis due to inclement weather, port congestion, or high volume. We can also not guarantee that our manufacturing schedule will hold. If a machine breaks or a shipment is lost, our schedule can be impacted in certain areas. We always build our schedules with ample wiggle room for these unforeseen circumstance, but in the words of our dads, sh*t happens.
We often get asked if we can expedite the shipping of rewards to individual backers in special circumstances. The short answer to that one is that we unfortunately can’t do that. If it helps, just know that after our funding period ends our team’s absolute #1 priority will be getting our backers’ rewards fulfilled as fast as possible.
For the duration of our funding period we will be putting final tweaks on our manufacturing, assembly and QA processes. Once those things are set, we’ll begin making production runs of our new products. When those new products are ready, they’ll be sent to our 5 fulfillment warehouses. And when all products are in the warehouse, we’ll begin fulfillingLast updated:
If you're in the US, we'll be shipping your package out of our Los Angeles fulfillment center using a ground service (USPS priority, FedEx or UPS depending on destination and shipment size). These packages will have tracking information that will work within the US.
Non-US orders will ship from one of our 4 international warehouses located in the UK, China, Toronto, and Australia. In order to save our backers costly duties and taxes, Peak Design is going to be importing all of our products into these countries prior to shipping them to you. This means that your shipments:
1. Won't require taxes or duties in Canada, UK, EU, HK, and Australia (other countries may have applicable duties/taxes, please check with your customs office for specific details)
2. Will arrive quickly and not get held up in customs.
3. May have tracking, but may not guaranteed (depending on the particular post service, of which there are too many used to name). For EU and Asian backers, Royal Mail International or Hong Kong Post will be used most commonly.
Note that we cannot alter the value of your rewards on customs declarations - the value will be declared as the total value of the items contained in the shipment.Last updated:
Sorry, we cannot do direct pickups of rewards. Our shipping system is highly automated and designed to get large quantities of stuff to people quickly and accurately, but it is unfortunately not designed to allow for manual pick-up.Last updated:
It sure is! We design all of our product lines to work together swimmingly. Some key points of integration:
- Use Tech Pouch and Wash Pouch to organize stuff inside any of our Everyday Bags.
- The Everyday Sling 5L fits perfectly inside the Travel Backpack 45L, making it an easy-to-pack on-the-go day bag for cameras or just everyday stuff.
- The Rain Fly fits the Travel Backpack 45L, and the 30L Everyday Backpacks.
Here are some places where the Travel Line and Everyday Line work differently:
- You cannot use Camera Cubes inside our Everyday Bags. They don't quite fit. Everyday Bags have native camera organization and protection via their FlexFold dividers.
- Everyday Bag dividers don't work with Camera Cubes and vice-versa. Every bag we make uses different sized dividers so that the dividers work perfectly inside that specific bag.
If you have compatibility questions please message us. We'll add the answers to this FAQ.Last updated:
All of our soft goods are manufactured in Vietnam. Our suppliers are the closest, most important partners we have at Peak Design. It's in our mission to succeed at the expense of nobody. The majority of people who make Peak Design products (500+) work in our partner factories in Vietnam and China. They aren't direct Peak Design employees, but they are equally entitled to happy, satisfying lives. We are not successful unless they partake in that success. We negotiate fair pay and safe working conditions in our factories. We visit them regularly and invest in audits so we can confidently hold ourselves accountable to this objective.Last updated:
Possibly, but not in the near future. Colors add a lot of stress to our supply chain and inventory management, hence we're sticking to just 2 colors for our new products for now...in doing so we hope to satisfy a broad range of customer tastes, while keeping our overhead as low as possible.Last updated:
Yes. All Peak Design products carry a lifetime guarantee. That means if any part becomes defective or dysfunctional over time we will repair or replace it free of charge.Last updated:
While all of our products are guaranteed for life, we do not offer refunds or returns on items received as Kickstarter rewards.
The support we get from our Kickstarter backers is what enables us to run and grow our business, gather customer feedback, design new products and improve existing ones. In the Kickstarter community, the items that you receive after making a pledge are referred to as ""rewards"" because they are not purchases in the traditional sense. They are gifts - in our case, camera products - that are sent to our supporters as a token of appreciation for their support of our business. In the same way that public television funds their service through the pledges of their supporters, who in turn receive gifts and continued programming, we have chosen to run and grow our business on a crowdfunded business model.
We appreciate your understanding of our policy and the support you have given us. If your reward truly offers no value to you, here are a few things that you could do in the spirit of crowdfunding…
1. Give your reward to a friend. Our products might not work for you, but there are many folks out there who might find them very valuable. We’d love for you to share our gear with a friend of yours.
2. Sell your reward to somebody. Many Kickstarter rewards were purchased below the retail value – if you want to recuperate that value and possibly even more, throw your reward up on eBay.
3. Give your reward another chance. Some of our products can take some getting used to. All of our gear is designed for use in a variety of scenarios. Maybe it doesn’t work for you right now, but perhaps you’ll find the right time and place in the future.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.Last updated:
This is a question that we get asked frequently, as we've exceeded our funding goal in all of our 8 Kickstarter campaigns to date. The short answer is that most goes to inventory and the rest goes into future product development, marketing, and other business related stuff.
Peak Design is a 100% crowdfunded company. That means that we've never taken outside investment from equity investors. Instead, we've been fortunate enough to raise the money we need to run and grow our business through Kickstarter campaigns, as well as the direct and wholesale sales we do.
While on paper we are an employee-owned business, we consider our Kickstarter backers to be our unofficial investors and board of directors. When we run a Kickstarter campaign, our hope is to raise the cash we need to mass-produce new products, not just for backers, but for subsequent direct and wholesale orders. We also hope to generate a lot of buzz and awareness (a.k.a. marketing stuffs). In exchange, our backers are the first to receive our new products and they are able to pre-order them at an exclusive discount (often 20-30%). Furthermore, we also take every opportunity to plug backers directly into our product development process via surveys, live hangouts, and general feedback. The result is that our future product development is (in part) funded by backers, and our product roadmap is (in part) written by backers. Case in point: in our past 2 big customer/backer surveys, a "travel backpack" was the most-requested new product. And, here we are.
In conclusion, we believe crowdfunding gives us the best customers in the world and lets us focus on doing what we love the most: designing really really good stuff. Thank you for being a part of this!Last updated:
Don't see the answer to your question? Ask the project creator directly.Ask a question