Introducing CaptureLENS and Lens Kit, only available for pre-order on Kickstarter. See it live in tomorrow's hangout!
For awhile we've been beating around the bush in regards to what's up our product development sleeve. Well, today we come clean.
We're proud to introduce CaptureLENS and Lens Kit, 2 new products that we think are the best camera lens carry and quick-change system ever made. And to celebrate, we're launching them exclusively on Kickstarter.
First thing's first: check out this video...
And now for some pictures...
SEE CAPTURE LENS AND MORE AT TOMORROW'S HANGOUT
Signup for our hangout tomorrow at 2pm Pacific Time and see these new products first-hand.
As always, you can ask any question you want through the Q&A app. Pre-load questions in there now by clicking on the link above, RSVPing YES, and clicking the "Q&A" button. Things we plan to show you:
- Everything you want to know about CaptureLENS and Lens Kit
- Get up close and personal with the Heritage Tan messenger bag
- Walk you through the latest updates to the Field Pouch design
In the meantime, allow us to address some questions you might have right now...
HOW DO I PRE-ORDER THESE?
In short, add $40 to your pledge to pre-order Lens Kit, or $80 to your pledge to pre-order CaptureLENS. That's it. When this project is complete (end of September) we'll send y'all surveys and then you'll tell us which model (Canon/Nikon/Sony E) you want.
For the uninitiated, here are more detailed instructions:
1. You must be a backer of this Kickstarter project. If you're reading this update, chances are you already did step 1 (thanks!) and you can go to step 2. If not, scroll to the top of our Kickstarter page and press the big green button to back this project. Then choose any reward level you want.
2. Look at the Add-On Menu to see how much you need to add to your pledge. Near the bottom of our main Kickstarter Page you'll find the Add-On Menu. You will now see CaptureLENS and Lens Kit in that menu, and you will see that their add-on prices of $80 and $40, respectively.
3. Click "Manage My Pledge" at the top of the Kickstarter page and increase your pledge by $40 (for Lens Kit) or $80 (for CaptureLENS). Then save your pledge. Note that you can order multiple items by doubling/tripling/etc. the amount you increase your pledge by.
4. You're done for now. When we send out our fulfillment survey (late September) you will be told how much "credit" you have from your Kickstarter pledge. The credit will correspond to the amount of extra money you added to your pledge. You will then use that credit to add Lens Kit, CaptureLENS, or any other add-on products to your order. You will also tell us which model of Lens Kit or CaptureLENS you need (we currently make it for Nikon, Canon and Sony E-Mounts).
WHEN WILL THEY SHIP?
We currently plan on shipping CaptureLENS and Lens Kit separately from the rest of the items in your reward. This is because these new products are on a different production schedule, and there is a chance that they will not be ready when The Everyday Messenger and The Field Pouch are ready. Rather than make you wait to get your goods, we'll ship CaptureLENS and Lens Kit separately from the rest of your stuff.
Currently we hope that CaptureLENS and Lens Kit will begin shipping in December of this year, but some backers may not get these items until early 2016. We'll provide updates as we know more.
If you add CaptureLENS or Lens Kit to your reward we will not make you add an additional shipping charge.
HOW MUCH WILL THEY COST OUTSIDE OF KICKSTARTER?
We expect that CaptureLENS will retail for $90 and Lens Kit will retail for $50. By pre-ordering these products on Kickstarter you'll save $10, and you won't have to pay for shipping (or, you could say that shipping is included in the cost).
WHAT ARE CAPTURE LENS AND LENS KIT?
We believe that CaptureLENS and Lens Kit are the fastest, most secure, most convenient camera lens carry and quick-change system ever made. CaptureLENS and Lens Kit are the same product, except that CaptureLENS includes a standard Capture clip (just the clip, no plate).
To reiterate the difference between the two:
- CaptureLENS: Lens Kit lens adapter + a standard Capture clip (no plate, just the clip). CaptureLENS is for people who don't already own a Capture clip, or want an additional Capture clip so they can carry a camera and a lens at the same time.
- Lens Kit: Just the lens adapter, no clip. Lens Kit is for people who already own a Capture clip. Note that Lens Kit works with all versions of Capture.
WHAT LENSES ARE THEY COMPATIBLE WITH?
We currently support 3 types of interchangeable lenses: Canon (EF and EF-S-mounts), Nikon (F-mount) and Sony (E and EF-mounts). In other words, these products will work for you if you have a Canon DSLR, a Nikon DSLR or a Sony a-series mirrorless camera.
We chose these 3 mounts because they are the 3 most popular lens types that our Kickstarter backers and customers use (we've done several big surveys on this over the past year). Notable mounts that we do not currently support are Sony A-mount and Micro 4/3s (used by Olympus and Panasonic mirrorless cameras). In the perfect world we'd support everything, but we gotta draw the line somewhere. While we have no current plans of supporting more lens types in the future, that could change as we get more customer feedback.
Note that you don't need to choose which lens mount you need until we send out our fulfillment survey in late September.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Like all of our products, CaptureLENS and Lens Kit were born out of customer feedback, and our product development was supported by the money we've raised in our past Kickstarter campaigns.
Those of who you have backed us in previous Kickstarter projects may not be surprised to see us launching another new product within the context of this Kickstarter. But for the first-time backers out there, this is a taste of what Peak Design is all about: working with our Kickstarter community to continually bring innovative products to life. By supporting us in this Kickstarter project, you're not just pre-ordering sweet messenger bags and lens clips. You're becoming a part of our board of directors (figuratively speaking) and you're supporting and steering the future Peak Design.
Happy shooting, and don't forget to signup for the hangout!
The PD Team