Slide and Clutch: Versatile Camera Sling and Hand Strap
Funding has ended on Kickstarter, but you can visit peakdesign.com to order all of the products on this Kickstarter page and more.
We’re always working on new products at Peak Design. Here’s how you can stay in the loop regarding future product launches, feedback surveys, beta tests and promotions:
- Subscribe to the Peak Design Newsletter
- Follow us on Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter and Instagram
- Media & bloggers – if you’d like to run a story, let us know!
THANKS AGAIN, YOU INCREDIBLE BACKERS, YOU.
This was our 4th successful Kickstarter project - the 4th time we’ve come to this community with new solutions to problems that photographers and adventurers face - and the 4th time you have helped us bring these ideas to fruition.
Kickstarter is a new way of doing business... like, brand spanking new. Peak Design was incredibly fortunate to get in on the ground floor. We've been building an entire company around crowdfunding, and we have no intention of stopping. It gives us an incredibly close connection with the actual users of our products. And perhaps best of all, it gives us freedom. We are free to spend our time doing what we love - designing great products. We are also free to steer this company in the direction we want, without the traditional pressures that force so many other companies to grow too fast and lose focus. Some people knock Kickstarter for producing “one-hit wonders,” but we firmly believe that crowdfunding is the best way to start and grow a long-term, stable, fulfilling business. We’re loving this ride, and we thank you immensely for hopping on board with us.
Happy shooting everyone,
The Peak Design Team
Slide is a camera strap, but one that's different from every other camera strap out there. Slide is more than just a neck strap, sling strap or shoulder strap. Slide is a new kind of camera strap that incorporates everything we love about existing straps, as well as feedback from thousands of photographers worldwide. In a nutshell, we think Slide is the most thoughtfully designed camera strap ever created.
See how Slide is unlike any other camera strap:
- Wearable as a sling strap, shoulder strap or neck strap.
- Quick connecting with one hand, using our patent-pending Anchor Link™ connection system.
- Smooth on one side and grippy on the other, and instantly reversible depending on your preference.
- Comfortable even with the heaviest of pro cameras.
- Made of tubular seatbelt-style webbing with padding on the inside for less bulk and a clean, classic look.
- Compatible with ARCA-type tripod heads, so you can place your camera in the tripod without unscrewing anything.
- Quickly customizable and adjustable. It can attach to multiple places on your camera and quickly cinch to fit your body type or activity.
- More than strong enough to hold any pro camera/lens/accessory combo.
Clutch™ is the only quick-connecting, quick-adjusting camera hand strap ever made. Clutch gives you security when you need it, but also allows instant access to your camera's controls. With materials and hardware inspired by high end climbing gear, Clutch's simple, rugged design can only be described as "dead sexy."
See why Clutch is a notch above other hand straps:
- Quick connecting with one hand, so you can add or remove it as needed.
- Quick adjusting, so you can tighten it when you need extra security and loosen it when you need to access your camera's controls.
- Low profile and unobtrusive compared to other camera hand straps on the market.
Made from premium materials and custom hardware inspired by high-end climbing gear.
- Designed to work with or without battery grips, and strong enough to hold any pro camera/lens/accessory combo.
Got a camera neck strap that you absolutely love? Anchor Links will make it even better. Anchor Links are quick connectors that can be placed on the ends of any standard camera neck strap, giving it super-fast, uber secure quick-connection capability.
Anchor Links are:
- Super strong. Each Vectran®-corded Anchor can withstand over 200 lbs. of force, strong enough for any pro rig. Each package includes 4 Anchors and 2 Links.
- Low-profile, lightweight and unobtrusive. Plus, the Delrin® Anchor disks will never scratch your camera body.
- Adaptable to any standard camera strap, from your brand new OEM strap to your Dad's vintage leather strap he used in college. Works with straps up to 12mm wide, which is a nearly-universal pro camera strap standard.
- The same connection system used on all Peak Design straps.
If this is your first time hearing about Peak Design then you may not know about the CapturePRO Camera Clip. In short, CapturePRO is a camera carrying device for active photographers - a little aluminum clip that lets you attach a camera to any backpack strap or belt. It's freaking awesome. And guess what? We're about to upgrade it.
CapturePRO will soon boast a new quick-release plate, one that we call the PROplate. Simply put, the PROplate everything you could want in one plate. The new PROplate is...
- 4-way ARCA compatible, and also has adapters that screw in to make it Manfrotto® RC2 compatible.
- Slimmer compared to our existing ARCAplate and DUALplate, yet has more surface area to grip your camera.
- Easier to use. It sports new adjustable screw to allow for the plate to be positioned where you need it on your camera body. No more troublesome D-ring (see FAQ for why we removed it).
- Better suited for use with Peak Design camera straps. Instead of strap loops it has 4 corner-mounted Anchor connection points.
Here's a mildly complicated graphic explaining the differences:
If you choose a reward that includes CapturePRO, you'll be among the first people in the world to get the new PROplate. A note to existing CapturePRO users: DUALplate and ARCAplate will be discontinued later this year. MICROplate will still be available, but only separately.
Shell and CaptureBINO are two very new products that are currently in development. You can add them onto your reward (scroll down to the Add On Menu) and they will be fulfilled in a separate shipment in the Spring or Summer of 2015. This video explains more:
Shell is an ultralight protective rain and dust cover for your camera, and the very first of it’s kind.
Shell will be:
- Made of stretchy waterproof fabric that shields your camera from rain and dust.
- Super versatile. You can keep it on your camera when shooting or when you’re carrying it with Capture or Slide.
- Ideal protection for your camera during timelapses and long exposures, since it leaves your tripod plate exposed.
- Usable as a quick-cinching ultralight camera sleeve.
- Available in small and large sizes to fit most cameras/lenses, from compact systems up to a full-frame DSLR with a 70-200 f2.8 lens.
CaptureBINO is a version of our Capture Clip made specifically for binoculars. It will let you carry binoculars on any backpack strap or belt. CaptureBINO is essentially our standard Capture Clip preloaded a die-cast aluminum adapter for binoculars.
CaptureBINO will be:
- Ultra strong. It will be capable of holding even the heaviest of pro binoculars during extreme physical activities.
- Quick releasing. CaptureBINO will allow instant access to your binoculars with the click of a button.
- Completely secure, with a safety lock to prevent accidental release.
- Compatible with any pair of binoculars that has a 1/4”-20 tripod thread.
- Capable of rigidly carrying binoculars on any backpack strap or belt.
Note that both of these products are still being developed. If you add them to your reward they will ship separately, and do so in the Spring/Summer 2015 timeframe. If you’re ordering either/both of these products outside the U.S. please add an additional $10 to your pledge to cover shipping.
That's right, all of this stuff is cross-compatible, backwards compatible, upwards compatible, sideways compatible and second cousin twice-removed compatible.
Just how compatible is everything?
- Use Slide and Clutch together at the same time.
- Use any of our straps with the Capture Camera Clip.
- Attach Anchors to any older-model Peak Design quick-release plate.
- Attach Anchors to anything that has a loop on it. Action camera housings, tripods, camera bags, pets, you name it.
- Interchange Slide or Clutch with any of our existing straps like Leash and Cuff - they all use the same connection system.
Pretty slick, eh? We pride ourselves in making gear that can adapt and conform to the way you shoot, and not the other way around.
Ready to throw down on this project? Thank you for your generous support! Whether you're brand new to Kickstarter or you've been supporting Peak Design since the beginning, we want to make your pledging process simple. So, here's the scoop:
Each backer can choose 1 (and only 1) reward level. Each level contains one or more products. Pick your reward level based on which products you want to receive after our funding period is complete. You can change your reward at any time, up until Aug. 15 when this project ends.
If you want additional products besides what is included in your reward, look at the Add-On Menu (below) and adjust your pledge accordingly. All of our gear is cross-compatible and designed to be used together as a complete camera-carrying system. Many of the add-on prices are below retail value - a special deal just for our Kickstarter backers, so you can get the most out of your Peak Design gear.
By the way, if you've already made your initial pledge you can always add items to it by coming back to this Kickstarter page and clicking the button that says "Manage My Pledge."
See the FAQ for detailed descriptions on each of the above products.
See the FAQ for detailed descriptions on each of the above products.
Adding CaptureBINO, Bino Kit and Shell
These products can be added onto your pledge just like our other add-on items above. The only difference is that they will ship separately and later (Spring/Summer 2015 timeframe). So for example, if you order Slide, Clutch and CaptureBINO, we'll send Slide and Clutch first and send CaptureBINO later in a separate package.
See the FAQ for detailed descriptions on each of the above products.
Don't worry about anything else until this project ends. After the project ends (Aug. 15) we will send you a survey asking you for shipping information. We will also ask you which items (if any) you are ordering from the Add-on Menu. Until then, you do not need to specify any details to us. You can kick back and enjoy life, knowing that you've got some sweet camera gear coming your way.
Timing of Fulfillment
When this campaign ends on August 15th, all backers will get a survey sent via email. We'll ask you to provide your shipping address, and we'll ask you which items you want from the Add-On Menu. Until then we don't need any shipping info from you - so just sit back and relax.
We have every intention of shipping Slide, Clutch and Anchor Links during the month of October. We'll do everything in our power to expedite fulfillment, and if all goes well we could be sending out units even earlier. But such is the nature of crowdfunding projects that we cannot guarantee a ship-by date for all. See the Risks section below for some examples of things that could potentially delay fulfillment.
We kindly ask international backers to add a single $10 amount to their pledge to cover shipping. We have setup fulfillment houses in Toronto, Hong Kong and London to improve service and decrease customs costs for international backers. If you have questions about international shipping, please see our FAQ.
CaptureBINO, Bino Kit and Shell are further behind in development and will likely ship in Spring/Summer 2015. If you are pre-ordering any one of these products we kindly ask you to add an additional $10 onto your pledge, even if you've already added $10 for your pledge for other items. This is because CaptureBINO, Bino Kit and Shell will ship separately.
Who is Peak Design?
We're a small group of people dedicated to changing the way that photographers and outdoorsy folks carry their cameras. We're based in San Francisco, CA, and this is our fourth (that's right, fourth) Kickstarter project. Things we love include taking pictures, being outside, making stuff, secret camping spots, crowdfunding, making beer and drinking beer. You can learn more about us on our website.
Where are these products made?
All of our products are designed in San Francisco and manufactured and assembled in Wuxi, China. We care immensely about the quality of our products and we've spent the past 4 years honing the materials, processes and partners used to create them. Every Peak Design product comes with a lifetime guarantee, meaning that our reputation as a company is inexorably tied to how well-designed and well-made our gear is.
Outsourced manufacturing is a hot-button issue for many folks, and that's why we prefer to have an open dialogue about it with our backers and customers. If you have questions about our manufacturing decisions, we highly recommend reading this blog post, which was written during our previous Kickstarter campaign for the Capture Camera Clip.
How will we use the funds we raise?
In short, we'll use them to pay for the manufacturing of our new products and continue designing innovative tools for photographers and outdoorsy people. Peak Design is a unique company - we're entirely crowdfunded, and this is our fourth Kickstarter project. That means that we don't have deep-pocketed investors pumping in ginormous amounts of capital and holding us to nerve-wracking growth and profit goals. Instead, we launch our products here on Kickstarter. Here we can connect with thousands of like-minded people across the world who actually use our gear and help steer the direction of our company with their feedback. By supporting this project, you become one of our investors. In addition to receiving our latest products, your pledge will enable Peak Design to continue the research and development needed to solve tough problems with awesome new gear.
Risks and challenges
If all goes well during our funding campaign, we'll finish up with a giant heap of preorders for our new products. Of course we're trying our hardest to predict our future demand and plan accordingly, but it's far from an exact science. While this ain't our first Kickstarter rodeo, our forecasting capabilities aren't the same as what you might expect from a big company.
Supply Chain Risk
As Peak Design continues to mature we're getting better and better at managing our supply chain. For example, over the past year we've actually setup two fully-operating parallel supply chains to shore up our ability to make quality products, at high volumes, on time. We're totally stoked on how far we've come. But it's safe to say that there is still some risk here. If a container shipment is delayed for 2 weeks in customs or a batch of new parts doesn't pass QA testing, our fulfillment schedule - even if padded - can start to slip.
Acts of God
We're based in San Francisco. That means we could have an earthquake. Or we could have a massive spur-of-the-moment parade involving wacky costumes and public nudity. Or, God forbid, the Dodgers could come to town. Whatever happens, we'll get through it together. We promise.
- (59 days)