Frequently Asked Questions
CaptureBINO, Bino Kit and Shell were added to this Kickstarter project late in the game. They are 3 sweet new products that we're making available for pre-order via this Kickstarter project.
THE KEY FACTS:
- These products are still in development. CaptureBINO is being tooled. Shell has been thoroughly prototyped but is still undergoing design tweaks.
- These products will be shipped later than everything else. They are on a completely separate production timeline. We expect them to be ready in Spring/Summer 2015. If you order any of this new gear, it will be sent in a separate shipment from your other rewards.
- We don’t have all the details set in stone yet. These products aren’t fully baked, so their exact designs and specs are subject to change. If you pre-order now, you’ll be continually updated on our progress and may even be polled in order to make design decisions.
- They’re going to be badass. Like all PD products, these will be durable, functional, versatile and beautiful.
- If you pre-order now, you’ll get a nice discount.
WHAT ARE THESE PRODUCTS?
CaptureBINO: A version of our Capture Clip especially for binoculars. It will include a standard Capture Clip and a die-cast aluminum binocular adapter. Carry any pair of binoculars on any backpack strap or belt. Simple as that.
Bino Kit: Bino Kit is just the binocular adapter for Capture. If you already have a Capture Clip (or are ordering one through this Kickstarter) Bino Kit will let you carry your binoculars with it.
Shell: An ultralight rain and dust cover for your camera. It can be used with Capture or it can be used as a standalone product. It can also be used as a protective sleeve when carrying your camera in your bag. Shell will come in 2 sizes, small and large. Scroll down for more details on Shell sizing.
HOW DO I PRE-ORDER THESE?
We’re treating these products like all other add-on products. In other words, adding them to your reward is super simple:
1. Go to our Kickstarter Page
2. Click the “Manage Your Pledge” button
3. In the pledge amount field, increase your pledge by the following amount:
+$25 to add Shell
+$55 to add CaptureBINO
+$20 to add Bino Kit
4. If you’re outside the US, add another $10 for shipping (since these will be shipped separately when ready).
5. Click the button at the bottom to continue and save your pledge. You’re done. After our funding period ends we’ll send you a survey where you’ll tell us which specific products you want us to send you.
WHEN WILL THESE PRODUCTS SHIP?
These products will ship separately from the rest of our Kickstarter fulfillment. We aren’t exactly sure when they will ship, but we think it will be in the Spring/Summer 2015 timeframe. If you back these products you will have to be patient when it comes to fulfillment. Don’t worry though, we’ll keep you completely abreast of our progress.
WHAT’S THE ADVANTAGE OF PRE-ORDERING THESE NOW?
By pre-ordering these products you’re putting money down on concepts/designs that may evolve over time. You’re putting your trust in us that the end product will suit your needs. We sincerely appreciate you putting that kind of trust in us, and hence there are some key advantages in backing these products now:
1. You’ll get a sweet discount. We haven’t set the retail prices for these products in stone, but they’ll likely be $40 for Shell, $70 for CaptureBINO and $30 for Bino Kit. So, you’ll be getting $15 off Shell, $15 off CaptureBINO and $10 off Bino Kit if you pre-order now.
2. You’ll be the first to get these products. Kindof a no-brainer, but it should certainly be mentioned.
3. You’ll be helping us create solutions that are optimized for your needs. CaptureBINO and Bino Kit designs are pretty close to final. Shell still has some design tweaks to be made. As we make those tweaks we’ll reach out to you to help steer our development.
WHAT KIND OF CAMERAS WILL SHELL FIT?
Shell will be created in two sizes, small and large.
The small version is intended to cover small to medium sized SLRs and mirrorless cameras (squeezing a Canon 5D/Nikon D600), and a standard zoom (55-200mm) lens when retracted.
The large version is intended to cover medium to large SLRs (loose on a Canon 5D/Nikon D600 to Canon 1D Nikon D4), and a lens up to a 70-200 F2.8 lens (without hood).
Remember, the intent of Shell is protection from water and dust, not to create a waterproof, hermetic seal for your rig. It will allow you to carry and operate your camera in rainy and dusty environments. It will not be submersible - it’ll be more like a rain jacket.Last updated:
Want to add an extra item to your reward? Or perhaps you’re not finding a reward level that perfectly suits you. Either way, you can add any number of additional items to your reward with our Add On Menu.
How to add items to your reward:
1. Click “Back this project” and pick one of the rewards. Every backer can pick one and only one reward. If you only want to order from the Add On Menu, pick the $1 reward.
2. Look at the Add On Menu in the project description above (Step 2 in the HOW TO BACK THIS PROJECT section). Find the item(s) you want to add. Increase your reward by the corresponding dollar amount. International backers - you do not need to add any extra money for shipping beyond the $10 surcharge that is part of your reward.
3. That’s it, you’re done for now. No need to do anything else until our funding period ends on Aug. 15.
To add or remove items from your pledge after your initial visit you can simply return to this Kickstarter page and click "Manage My Pledge."
In the weeks following Aug. 15, we will send every backer a survey. In that survey you will tell us which specific items you want to add on to your reward. You will also give us your shipping details.
See the next FAQ for detailed descriptions of every item in our Add On Menu.Last updated:
The following is a list of all products that can be added onto your reward using the Add On Menu. We’ve included the Kickstarter add on price, the standard retail price, a brief description and a link to get more product info.
***International backers - you do not need to add any extra shipping fees to your pledge beyond the $10 shipping surcharge that is part of your reward.***
Slide (only available via Kickstarter)
- Add-on price: $50 ($60 projected retail price)
- A quick connecting, versatile camera strap that can be worn as a sling strap, shoulder strap or neck strap.
Clutch (only available via Kickstarter)
- Add-on price: $30 ($40 projected retail price)
- The only quick connecting, quick adjusting camera wrist strap ever made.
Anchor Links (only available via Kickstarter)
- Add-on price: $15 ($20 projected retail price)
- A set of quick connectors that can be used with any standard camera neck strap to make your life much easier.
- Add-on price: $30 ($35 MSRP)
- A strap where minimalism meets versatility. Easily configurable as a sling strap, neck strap, safety tether, video stabilizer and more. When you don’t need a strap, Leash™ quickly disconnects and stores in your pocket, purse or camera bag.
- Add-on price: $20
- A quick connecting camera wrist strap. Releases with one hand and can be connected to your camera in a variety of locations. When not in use it can be worn around your wrist like a bracelet.
Anchor 4-Pack (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/anchors)
- Add-on price: $10
- A pack of 4 additional Anchors to use with any Peak Design strap.
PROdrive Screw (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/pro-drive-screw)
- Add-on price: $10
- A D-ring screw that screws into your camera’s tripod mount and can be used as an Anchor attachment point.
- Add-on price: $70 ($80 MSRP)
- The CapturePRO® Camera Clip is our flagship, pro-quality camera holstering product. Carry any camera on any backpack strap, belt or bag. All-aluminum, extra-durable construction. Compatible with multiple tripod types, and can be used as a tripod head itself.
Capture Standard (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capture)
- Add-on price: $50 ($60 MSRP)
- The ultra-light Capture® Camera Clip is a camera holstering solution for all photographers, with an attractive price to match. Carry your camera on any backpack strap, belt or bag. Aluminum & glass-reinforced nylon construction.
- Add-on price: $60 ($70 MSRP)
- The most versatile action camera mount ever created, Capture P.O.V. lets you mount GoPro® and other action cameras directly on a backpack or strap. Also works with point-and-shoot cameras. Aluminum & glass-reinforced nylon construction.
Pro Plate (only available via Kickstarter)
- Add-on price: $25 ($30 projected retail price)
- Our newest quick release plate, PROplate works with ARCA and Manfrotto RC2 tripods and has 4-way Capture compatibility. Machined and anodized aluminum.
Standard Plate (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/standard-plate)
- Add-on price: $15 ($20 MSRP)
- The quick release plate that comes with Capture Standard, as well as Slide and Clutch. ARCA compatible. Die-cast aluminum.
- Add-on price: $25 ($30 MSRP)
- A quick release plate for slim-body camera users that require a plate with a very small footprint to avoid obstruction of the lens or battery compartment.
- Add-on price: $25 ($30 MSRP)
- A gel-like Hypalon pad that increases your comfort and stability when using Capture with heavy camera/lens/grip combinations.
P.O.V. Kit (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/pov-kit)
- Add-on price: $25 ($30 MSRP)
- Turn your Capture Standard or CapturePRO clip into a GoPro or action camera mount with this set of adapter hardware.
Long Clamping Bolts (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/clamping-bolts-long)
- Add-on price: $10
- A set of 2 long clamping bolts for Capture, allowing the clip to fit around thicker straps. Recommended for straps that are thicker than 0.5 in (1.3 cm). Note that long bolts are already included in CaptureP.O.V., P.O.V. Kit and PROpad.
Clamping Bolts (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/clamping-bolts)
- Add-on price: $10
- A set of replacement clamping bolts for Capture Standard, CapturePRO or CaptureP.O.V.Last updated:
Great question. The differences are actually pretty big, but might not be completely evident at a glance. Let's break it down:
At a high level, Leash and Cuff are minimalist straps. They maximize function and minimize size. Slide and Clutch are built for comfort and to fully meet the needs of professional photographers.
Breaking it down further:
Leash is ultra-minimalist and versatile. It can be used as a sling strap, neck strap, safety tether or video stabilizer. Leash can easily removed and compacted down to store in your pocket. It's made of unpadded 3/4" wide seatbelt-style webbing.
Cuff is a simple quick-connecting wrist strap. The purpose of Cuff is to provide security against camera drops in as small a package as possible. Cuff is made from unpadded 3/4" wide seatbelt-style webbing and can store on your wrist as a bracelet when not in use.
Slide is a quick-connecting, comfortable, padded professional-grade camera strap designed for carrying heavy cameras for a long time. Slide is wearable as a sling strap, shoulder strap or neck strap. Slide is made from 2" tubular seatbelt-style webbing with padding hidden on the inside. One side of Slide is smooth, the other grippy.
Clutch is the only quick-connecting, quick-cinching camera hand strap ever made. Unlike Cuff, Clutch helps you actively grip your camera. Cuff is made from durable Hypalon, EVA foam padding and a microfiber inner.Last updated:
The short answer is unfortunately no you can't. Slide and Clutch both come with our Standard Plate, and we plan on keeping it that way.
The long answer is that some very serious consideration when into picking the plate that comes with Slide and Clutch. Namely:
1. Tripod compatibility. We wanted a plate that for be tripod-compatible for a majority of folks.
2. Price. Our plates are solid aluminum, so they're not a cheap part. We wanted to add a plate into the package without having to up the price of the straps.
3. Capture-compatibility. Our old PROplate quick release plates (the ones that are currently for sale on our website) don't have connection points that are optimized for our Anchors. That means if you use one of the old plates, it's a little bit harder to use Slide/Clutch and Capture at the same time.
4. Simplicity. We've learned from experience that presenting brand new customers with funky options generates confusion. As product designers, we feel a certain responsibility to make our products as straight-forward as possible - easy to understand, buy, setup and use.
With that being said, our only real options were either to include the Standard Plate or the new Pro Plate with Slide/Clutch. The Standard Plate is significantly less expensive, yet still works great for a majority of photographers (who in increasing percentages use ARCA-type tripod heads). So that's the direction we took.
If Manfrotto RC2 compatibility is a big need for you (and you don't already own a DUALplate), then your best option is pre-order the new Pro Plate for $25, which is a $5 savings from it's future retail price and not too different than buying a stock RC2 plate at a camera shop.
We apologize for the inconvenience that this causes some folks, but in the end we felt responsible to make the choice that provided the best experience to the greatest number of people.Last updated:
We have every intention of shipping all rewards out by the end of the month of October 2014. That is a conservative estimate, with a good amount of padding in our schedule for unforeseen circumstances. We hope to start shipping out rewards sooner than October, but we cannot guarantee it.
We often get asked if we can expedite the shipping of rewards to individual backers in special circumstances. The short answer to that one is that we unfortunately can’t do that. If it helps, just know that after our funding period ends our team’s absolute #1 priority will be getting our backers’ rewards fulfilled as fast as possible.
For the duration of our funding period we will be putting final tweaks on our manufacturing, assembly and QA processes. Once those things are set, we’ll begin making production runs of our new products. When those new products are ready, they’ll be sent to our 4 fulfillment warehouses. And when all products are in the warehouse, we’ll begin fulfilling.
Depending on the number of backers, fulfillment could take a couple weeks to a month. No matter what, we will keep all of our backers completely up-to-date on our progress, just like we’ve done in the past.Last updated:
If you're in the US, we'll be shipping your package out of the San Francisco office using USPS First Class (or USPS Priority for larger shipments). Both will have tracking information that will work within the US.
Non-US orders will ship from one of our 3 international warehouses located in London, Hong Kong, and Toronto. In order to save our backers costly duties and taxes, Peak Design is going to be importing all of our products into these countries prior to shipping them to you. This means that your shipments:
1. Won't require taxes or duties in Canada, EU and some Asian countries.
2. Will arrive quickly and not get held up in customs.
3. May have tracking, but may not (depending on the particular post service, of which there will be too many used to name). Most commonly for EU and Asian backers, Royal Mail International or Hong Kong Post will be used.
Note that we cannot alter the value of your rewards on customs declarations - the value will be declared as the total price of the items contained in the shipment.Last updated:
The exterior of Clutch is made of Hypalon™, a durable synthetic material that is strong, sleek and weatherproof. The interior part that touches your hand is made of soft microfiber. The tension clip, which doubles as a quick adjuster, is made from anodized aluminum.
Slide is made from 2" tubular nylon seatbelt-style webbing. The webbing is filled with EVA foam padding. Slide's adjusters are made from glass-filled nylon with anodized aluminum handles. The ends of slide are thick, waxed Nubuck leather.
Anchor Links (note these are the same connectors found on Slide and Clutch):
The Anchors are made of braided Vectran® cord, overmolded with Delrin® thermoplastic. The Links are made of glass-filled nylon, with a stainless steel spring.Last updated:
You betcha. Slide and Clutch work with all versions of Capture. All versions of Capture have quick-release plates with Anchor or strap loops.
Note that the best plates to use with Slide and Clutch are the Standard Plate and the new PROplate. That is because these plates have Anchor attachment points in the corner, which makes it easier to slide your camera in and out of Capture with an Anchor attached.Last updated:
PROplate is 52 mm x 38 mm.
ARCAplate: 46 mm x 46 mm
DUALplate: 52 mm x 42 mm
MICROplate: 43 mm x 29 mm
Standard Plate: 38 mm x 38 mm (this is the plate that comes with Slide and Clutch)Last updated:
The minimum length when attached to your camera (i.e. connected to an Anchor) is 99 cm (39 in) and maximum length is 137 cm (54 in). The widest point of Slide is 5.08 cm (2 in).
The minimum length is 18 cm (7 in) and longest length 29 cm (11.4 in). At the widest point of Clutch is 50.8 mm (2 in).Last updated:
It sure does! Clutch is fully adjustable, meaning that it can attach to just about any size of camera body, so long as it has standard strap loops and a 1/4-20 tripod mount. Check out this picture: http://pkdsn.com/clutchbgripLast updated:
Totes. You simply place two Anchors on the bottom plate - one connects to Clutch and the other to Slide. On Slide the other Anchor will typically attach to the left strap loop and Clutch to right strap loop. See this picture: http://pkdsn.com/slideandclutchLast updated:
Nope. If you have a PROdrive Screw (a D-ring screw that you can order from the Add On Menu or our website) you can connect an Anchor to that. However, doing so takes away the ability for you to quickly clip you camera into our Capture Clip or stick it into an ARCA-type tripod head.Last updated:
If you have a compact or point-and-shoot camera, you might be asking yourself this question.
The short answer is you probably don't need MICROplate - PROplate or the Standard Plate (that comes with Slide and Clutch) will do you just fine.
The longer answer is this: there are a few rare circumstances where you might want a MICROplate:
1. If you have a camera with a body thinner than the width of our quick-release plates, the plates will stick out from your camera a little. We're talking a very little - like fractions of a centimeter. This bugs some folks. If your camera is thinner than 25 mm, and you're picky about how it looks, consider getting a MICROplate.
2. In rare circumstances cameras will have lenses that poke out below the base of the camera. If you have one of these cameras, we recommend a MICROplate.
3. Some cameras have battery/SD compartments very close to the tripod socket. Sometimes MICROplate will not obscure the hatch, while our other plates will.Last updated:
Our current CapturePRO quick-release plates have a D-ring on them. The new PROplate does not have a D-ring. We're phasing out the D-ring because even though it was good in some ways, it was problematic in others.
The upside of a D-ring: it lets you hand-tighten and hand-loosen your quick-release plate, no tool needed. It also gives you a connection point for Anchors or other sling straps like those that Black Rapid makes.
1. Because the D-ring can be hand tightened, many folks tend to not use the hex tool. If you don't put enough elbow grease into it, you'll have a loose plate. While hand tightening and loosening is convenient, it's just not the safest.
2. Very rarely the D-ring pops out when it shouldn't. Like when your camera is locked into Capture. The result is that you have to jiggle your camera around to get it out of Capture.
So here's what we did:
- We got rid of the D-ring in PROplate. Now you have to use a tool to tighten/loosen your plate.
- The screw on PROplate has a hex and coin drive. If you don't have a wrench, you'll probably have a coin laying around.
- We added a keyring on the hex wrench that comes with CapturePRO. Now it'll be more likely that you'll have a hex wrench with you.
If you absolutely must have the D-ring screw, it's for sale separately (see the Add On Menu). It's called the PROdrive screw, and you can use it by itself or with any of our quick-release plates.Last updated:
We've gotten a few requests for additional photos of Slide and Clutch. To not clutter the page too much we've decided to create a Flickr album for you guys. Shoot us comments/messages if you want to see something in particular.
If you're looking for higher resolution media photos of our gear, chek out our media kit: http://pkdsn.com/mediaLast updated:
Don't see the answer to your question? Ask the project creator directly.Ask a question