A camera sling strap and hand strap that are quick-connecting, quick-adjusting, comfortable, versatile and classically beautiful. Read more
This project was successfully funded on August 15, 2014.
About this project
Funding has ended on Kickstarter, but you can visit peakdesign.com to order all of the products on this Kickstarter page and more.
We’re always working on new products at Peak Design. Here’s how you can stay in the loop regarding future product launches, feedback surveys, beta tests and promotions:
- Subscribe to the Peak Design Newsletter
- Follow us on Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter and Instagram
- Media & bloggers – if you’d like to run a story, let us know!
THANKS AGAIN, YOU INCREDIBLE BACKERS, YOU.
This was our 4th successful Kickstarter project - the 4th time we’ve come to this community with new solutions to problems that photographers and adventurers face - and the 4th time you have helped us bring these ideas to fruition.
Kickstarter is a new way of doing business... like, brand spanking new. Peak Design was incredibly fortunate to get in on the ground floor. We've been building an entire company around crowdfunding, and we have no intention of stopping. It gives us an incredibly close connection with the actual users of our products. And perhaps best of all, it gives us freedom. We are free to spend our time doing what we love - designing great products. We are also free to steer this company in the direction we want, without the traditional pressures that force so many other companies to grow too fast and lose focus. Some people knock Kickstarter for producing “one-hit wonders,” but we firmly believe that crowdfunding is the best way to start and grow a long-term, stable, fulfilling business. We’re loving this ride, and we thank you immensely for hopping on board with us.
Happy shooting everyone,
The Peak Design Team
Slide is a camera strap, but one that's different from every other camera strap out there. Slide is more than just a neck strap, sling strap or shoulder strap. Slide is a new kind of camera strap that incorporates everything we love about existing straps, as well as feedback from thousands of photographers worldwide. In a nutshell, we think Slide is the most thoughtfully designed camera strap ever created.
See how Slide is unlike any other camera strap:
- Wearable as a sling strap, shoulder strap or neck strap.
- Quick connecting with one hand, using our patent-pending Anchor Link™ connection system.
- Smooth on one side and grippy on the other, and instantly reversible depending on your preference.
- Comfortable even with the heaviest of pro cameras.
- Made of tubular seatbelt-style webbing with padding on the inside for less bulk and a clean, classic look.
- Compatible with ARCA-type tripod heads, so you can place your camera in the tripod without unscrewing anything.
- Quickly customizable and adjustable. It can attach to multiple places on your camera and quickly cinch to fit your body type or activity.
- More than strong enough to hold any pro camera/lens/accessory combo.
Clutch™ is the only quick-connecting, quick-adjusting camera hand strap ever made. Clutch gives you security when you need it, but also allows instant access to your camera's controls. With materials and hardware inspired by high end climbing gear, Clutch's simple, rugged design can only be described as "dead sexy."
See why Clutch is a notch above other hand straps:
- Quick connecting with one hand, so you can add or remove it as needed.
- Quick adjusting, so you can tighten it when you need extra security and loosen it when you need to access your camera's controls.
- Low profile and unobtrusive compared to other camera hand straps on the market.
Made from premium materials and custom hardware inspired by high-end climbing gear.
- Designed to work with or without battery grips, and strong enough to hold any pro camera/lens/accessory combo.
Got a camera neck strap that you absolutely love? Anchor Links will make it even better. Anchor Links are quick connectors that can be placed on the ends of any standard camera neck strap, giving it super-fast, uber secure quick-connection capability.
Anchor Links are:
- Super strong. Each Vectran®-corded Anchor can withstand over 200 lbs. of force, strong enough for any pro rig. Each package includes 4 Anchors and 2 Links.
- Low-profile, lightweight and unobtrusive. Plus, the Delrin® Anchor disks will never scratch your camera body.
- Adaptable to any standard camera strap, from your brand new OEM strap to your Dad's vintage leather strap he used in college. Works with straps up to 12mm wide, which is a nearly-universal pro camera strap standard.
- The same connection system used on all Peak Design straps.
If this is your first time hearing about Peak Design then you may not know about the CapturePRO Camera Clip. In short, CapturePRO is a camera carrying device for active photographers - a little aluminum clip that lets you attach a camera to any backpack strap or belt. It's freaking awesome. And guess what? We're about to upgrade it.
CapturePRO will soon boast a new quick-release plate, one that we call the PROplate. Simply put, the PROplate everything you could want in one plate. The new PROplate is...
- 4-way ARCA compatible, and also has adapters that screw in to make it Manfrotto® RC2 compatible.
- Slimmer compared to our existing ARCAplate and DUALplate, yet has more surface area to grip your camera.
- Easier to use. It sports new adjustable screw to allow for the plate to be positioned where you need it on your camera body. No more troublesome D-ring (see FAQ for why we removed it).
- Better suited for use with Peak Design camera straps. Instead of strap loops it has 4 corner-mounted Anchor connection points.
Here's a mildly complicated graphic explaining the differences:
If you choose a reward that includes CapturePRO, you'll be among the first people in the world to get the new PROplate. A note to existing CapturePRO users: DUALplate and ARCAplate will be discontinued later this year. MICROplate will still be available, but only separately.
Shell and CaptureBINO are two very new products that are currently in development. You can add them onto your reward (scroll down to the Add On Menu) and they will be fulfilled in a separate shipment in the Spring or Summer of 2015. This video explains more:
Shell is an ultralight protective rain and dust cover for your camera, and the very first of it’s kind.
Shell will be:
- Made of stretchy waterproof fabric that shields your camera from rain and dust.
- Super versatile. You can keep it on your camera when shooting or when you’re carrying it with Capture or Slide.
- Ideal protection for your camera during timelapses and long exposures, since it leaves your tripod plate exposed.
- Usable as a quick-cinching ultralight camera sleeve.
- Available in small and large sizes to fit most cameras/lenses, from compact systems up to a full-frame DSLR with a 70-200 f2.8 lens.
CaptureBINO is a version of our Capture Clip made specifically for binoculars. It will let you carry binoculars on any backpack strap or belt. CaptureBINO is essentially our standard Capture Clip preloaded a die-cast aluminum adapter for binoculars.
CaptureBINO will be:
- Ultra strong. It will be capable of holding even the heaviest of pro binoculars during extreme physical activities.
- Quick releasing. CaptureBINO will allow instant access to your binoculars with the click of a button.
- Completely secure, with a safety lock to prevent accidental release.
- Compatible with any pair of binoculars that has a 1/4”-20 tripod thread.
- Capable of rigidly carrying binoculars on any backpack strap or belt.
Note that both of these products are still being developed. If you add them to your reward they will ship separately, and do so in the Spring/Summer 2015 timeframe. If you’re ordering either/both of these products outside the U.S. please add an additional $10 to your pledge to cover shipping.
That's right, all of this stuff is cross-compatible, backwards compatible, upwards compatible, sideways compatible and second cousin twice-removed compatible.
Just how compatible is everything?
- Use Slide and Clutch together at the same time.
- Use any of our straps with the Capture Camera Clip.
- Attach Anchors to any older-model Peak Design quick-release plate.
- Attach Anchors to anything that has a loop on it. Action camera housings, tripods, camera bags, pets, you name it.
- Interchange Slide or Clutch with any of our existing straps like Leash and Cuff - they all use the same connection system.
Pretty slick, eh? We pride ourselves in making gear that can adapt and conform to the way you shoot, and not the other way around.
Ready to throw down on this project? Thank you for your generous support! Whether you're brand new to Kickstarter or you've been supporting Peak Design since the beginning, we want to make your pledging process simple. So, here's the scoop:
Each backer can choose 1 (and only 1) reward level. Each level contains one or more products. Pick your reward level based on which products you want to receive after our funding period is complete. You can change your reward at any time, up until Aug. 15 when this project ends.
If you want additional products besides what is included in your reward, look at the Add-On Menu (below) and adjust your pledge accordingly. All of our gear is cross-compatible and designed to be used together as a complete camera-carrying system. Many of the add-on prices are below retail value - a special deal just for our Kickstarter backers, so you can get the most out of your Peak Design gear.
By the way, if you've already made your initial pledge you can always add items to it by coming back to this Kickstarter page and clicking the button that says "Manage My Pledge."
See the FAQ for detailed descriptions on each of the above products.
See the FAQ for detailed descriptions on each of the above products.
Adding CaptureBINO, Bino Kit and Shell
These products can be added onto your pledge just like our other add-on items above. The only difference is that they will ship separately and later (Spring/Summer 2015 timeframe). So for example, if you order Slide, Clutch and CaptureBINO, we'll send Slide and Clutch first and send CaptureBINO later in a separate package.
See the FAQ for detailed descriptions on each of the above products.
Don't worry about anything else until this project ends. After the project ends (Aug. 15) we will send you a survey asking you for shipping information. We will also ask you which items (if any) you are ordering from the Add-on Menu. Until then, you do not need to specify any details to us. You can kick back and enjoy life, knowing that you've got some sweet camera gear coming your way.
Timing of Fulfillment
When this campaign ends on August 15th, all backers will get a survey sent via email. We'll ask you to provide your shipping address, and we'll ask you which items you want from the Add-On Menu. Until then we don't need any shipping info from you - so just sit back and relax.
We have every intention of shipping Slide, Clutch and Anchor Links during the month of October. We'll do everything in our power to expedite fulfillment, and if all goes well we could be sending out units even earlier. But such is the nature of crowdfunding projects that we cannot guarantee a ship-by date for all. See the Risks section below for some examples of things that could potentially delay fulfillment.
We kindly ask international backers to add a single $10 amount to their pledge to cover shipping. We have setup fulfillment houses in Toronto, Hong Kong and London to improve service and decrease customs costs for international backers. If you have questions about international shipping, please see our FAQ.
CaptureBINO, Bino Kit and Shell are further behind in development and will likely ship in Spring/Summer 2015. If you are pre-ordering any one of these products we kindly ask you to add an additional $10 onto your pledge, even if you've already added $10 for your pledge for other items. This is because CaptureBINO, Bino Kit and Shell will ship separately.
Who is Peak Design?
We're a small group of people dedicated to changing the way that photographers and outdoorsy folks carry their cameras. We're based in San Francisco, CA, and this is our fourth (that's right, fourth) Kickstarter project. Things we love include taking pictures, being outside, making stuff, secret camping spots, crowdfunding, making beer and drinking beer. You can learn more about us on our website.
Where are these products made?
All of our products are designed in San Francisco and manufactured and assembled in Wuxi, China. We care immensely about the quality of our products and we've spent the past 4 years honing the materials, processes and partners used to create them. Every Peak Design product comes with a lifetime guarantee, meaning that our reputation as a company is inexorably tied to how well-designed and well-made our gear is.
Outsourced manufacturing is a hot-button issue for many folks, and that's why we prefer to have an open dialogue about it with our backers and customers. If you have questions about our manufacturing decisions, we highly recommend reading this blog post, which was written during our previous Kickstarter campaign for the Capture Camera Clip.
How will we use the funds we raise?
In short, we'll use them to pay for the manufacturing of our new products and continue designing innovative tools for photographers and outdoorsy people. Peak Design is a unique company - we're entirely crowdfunded, and this is our fourth Kickstarter project. That means that we don't have deep-pocketed investors pumping in ginormous amounts of capital and holding us to nerve-wracking growth and profit goals. Instead, we launch our products here on Kickstarter. Here we can connect with thousands of like-minded people across the world who actually use our gear and help steer the direction of our company with their feedback. By supporting this project, you become one of our investors. In addition to receiving our latest products, your pledge will enable Peak Design to continue the research and development needed to solve tough problems with awesome new gear.
Risks and challenges
If all goes well during our funding campaign, we'll finish up with a giant heap of preorders for our new products. Of course we're trying our hardest to predict our future demand and plan accordingly, but it's far from an exact science. While this ain't our first Kickstarter rodeo, our forecasting capabilities aren't the same as what you might expect from a big company.
Supply Chain Risk
As Peak Design continues to mature we're getting better and better at managing our supply chain. For example, over the past year we've actually setup two fully-operating parallel supply chains to shore up our ability to make quality products, at high volumes, on time. We're totally stoked on how far we've come. But it's safe to say that there is still some risk here. If a container shipment is delayed for 2 weeks in customs or a batch of new parts doesn't pass QA testing, our fulfillment schedule - even if padded - can start to slip.
Acts of God
We're based in San Francisco. That means we could have an earthquake. Or we could have a massive spur-of-the-moment parade involving wacky costumes and public nudity. Or, God forbid, the Dodgers could come to town. Whatever happens, we'll get through it together. We promise.
CaptureBINO, Bino Kit and Shell were added to this Kickstarter project late in the game. They are 3 sweet new products that we're making available for pre-order via this Kickstarter project.
THE KEY FACTS:
- These products are still in development. CaptureBINO is being tooled. Shell has been thoroughly prototyped but is still undergoing design tweaks.
- These products will be shipped later than everything else. They are on a completely separate production timeline. We expect them to be ready in Spring/Summer 2015. If you order any of this new gear, it will be sent in a separate shipment from your other rewards.
- We don’t have all the details set in stone yet. These products aren’t fully baked, so their exact designs and specs are subject to change. If you pre-order now, you’ll be continually updated on our progress and may even be polled in order to make design decisions.
- They’re going to be badass. Like all PD products, these will be durable, functional, versatile and beautiful.
- If you pre-order now, you’ll get a nice discount.
WHAT ARE THESE PRODUCTS?
CaptureBINO: A version of our Capture Clip especially for binoculars. It will include a standard Capture Clip and a die-cast aluminum binocular adapter. Carry any pair of binoculars on any backpack strap or belt. Simple as that.
Bino Kit: Bino Kit is just the binocular adapter for Capture. If you already have a Capture Clip (or are ordering one through this Kickstarter) Bino Kit will let you carry your binoculars with it.
Shell: An ultralight rain and dust cover for your camera. It can be used with Capture or it can be used as a standalone product. It can also be used as a protective sleeve when carrying your camera in your bag. Shell will come in 2 sizes, small and large. Scroll down for more details on Shell sizing.
HOW DO I PRE-ORDER THESE?
We’re treating these products like all other add-on products. In other words, adding them to your reward is super simple:
1. Go to our Kickstarter Page
2. Click the “Manage Your Pledge” button
3. In the pledge amount field, increase your pledge by the following amount:
+$25 to add Shell
+$55 to add CaptureBINO
+$20 to add Bino Kit
4. If you’re outside the US, add another $10 for shipping (since these will be shipped separately when ready).
5. Click the button at the bottom to continue and save your pledge. You’re done. After our funding period ends we’ll send you a survey where you’ll tell us which specific products you want us to send you.
WHEN WILL THESE PRODUCTS SHIP?
These products will ship separately from the rest of our Kickstarter fulfillment. We aren’t exactly sure when they will ship, but we think it will be in the Spring/Summer 2015 timeframe. If you back these products you will have to be patient when it comes to fulfillment. Don’t worry though, we’ll keep you completely abreast of our progress.
WHAT’S THE ADVANTAGE OF PRE-ORDERING THESE NOW?
By pre-ordering these products you’re putting money down on concepts/designs that may evolve over time. You’re putting your trust in us that the end product will suit your needs. We sincerely appreciate you putting that kind of trust in us, and hence there are some key advantages in backing these products now:
1. You’ll get a sweet discount. We haven’t set the retail prices for these products in stone, but they’ll likely be $40 for Shell, $70 for CaptureBINO and $30 for Bino Kit. So, you’ll be getting $15 off Shell, $15 off CaptureBINO and $10 off Bino Kit if you pre-order now.
2. You’ll be the first to get these products. Kindof a no-brainer, but it should certainly be mentioned.
3. You’ll be helping us create solutions that are optimized for your needs. CaptureBINO and Bino Kit designs are pretty close to final. Shell still has some design tweaks to be made. As we make those tweaks we’ll reach out to you to help steer our development.
WHAT KIND OF CAMERAS WILL SHELL FIT?
Shell will be created in two sizes, small and large.
The small version is intended to cover small to medium sized SLRs and mirrorless cameras (squeezing a Canon 5D/Nikon D600), and a standard zoom (55-200mm) lens when retracted.
The large version is intended to cover medium to large SLRs (loose on a Canon 5D/Nikon D600 to Canon 1D Nikon D4), and a lens up to a 70-200 F2.8 lens (without hood).
Remember, the intent of Shell is protection from water and dust, not to create a waterproof, hermetic seal for your rig. It will allow you to carry and operate your camera in rainy and dusty environments. It will not be submersible - it’ll be more like a rain jacket.
Want to add an extra item to your reward? Or perhaps you’re not finding a reward level that perfectly suits you. Either way, you can add any number of additional items to your reward with our Add On Menu.
How to add items to your reward:
1. Click “Back this project” and pick one of the rewards. Every backer can pick one and only one reward. If you only want to order from the Add On Menu, pick the $1 reward.
2. Look at the Add On Menu in the project description above (Step 2 in the HOW TO BACK THIS PROJECT section). Find the item(s) you want to add. Increase your reward by the corresponding dollar amount. International backers - you do not need to add any extra money for shipping beyond the $10 surcharge that is part of your reward.
3. That’s it, you’re done for now. No need to do anything else until our funding period ends on Aug. 15.
To add or remove items from your pledge after your initial visit you can simply return to this Kickstarter page and click "Manage My Pledge."
In the weeks following Aug. 15, we will send every backer a survey. In that survey you will tell us which specific items you want to add on to your reward. You will also give us your shipping details.
See the next FAQ for detailed descriptions of every item in our Add On Menu.
The following is a list of all products that can be added onto your reward using the Add On Menu. We’ve included the Kickstarter add on price, the standard retail price, a brief description and a link to get more product info.
***International backers - you do not need to add any extra shipping fees to your pledge beyond the $10 shipping surcharge that is part of your reward.***
Slide (only available via Kickstarter)
- Add-on price: $50 ($60 projected retail price)
- A quick connecting, versatile camera strap that can be worn as a sling strap, shoulder strap or neck strap.
Clutch (only available via Kickstarter)
- Add-on price: $30 ($40 projected retail price)
- The only quick connecting, quick adjusting camera wrist strap ever made.
Anchor Links (only available via Kickstarter)
- Add-on price: $15 ($20 projected retail price)
- A set of quick connectors that can be used with any standard camera neck strap to make your life much easier.
- Add-on price: $30 ($35 MSRP)
- A strap where minimalism meets versatility. Easily configurable as a sling strap, neck strap, safety tether, video stabilizer and more. When you don’t need a strap, Leash™ quickly disconnects and stores in your pocket, purse or camera bag.
- Add-on price: $20
- A quick connecting camera wrist strap. Releases with one hand and can be connected to your camera in a variety of locations. When not in use it can be worn around your wrist like a bracelet.
Anchor 4-Pack (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/anchors)
- Add-on price: $10
- A pack of 4 additional Anchors to use with any Peak Design strap.
PROdrive Screw (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/pro-drive-screw)
- Add-on price: $10
- A D-ring screw that screws into your camera’s tripod mount and can be used as an Anchor attachment point.
- Add-on price: $70 ($80 MSRP)
- The CapturePRO® Camera Clip is our flagship, pro-quality camera holstering product. Carry any camera on any backpack strap, belt or bag. All-aluminum, extra-durable construction. Compatible with multiple tripod types, and can be used as a tripod head itself.
Capture Standard (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capture)
- Add-on price: $50 ($60 MSRP)
- The ultra-light Capture® Camera Clip is a camera holstering solution for all photographers, with an attractive price to match. Carry your camera on any backpack strap, belt or bag. Aluminum & glass-reinforced nylon construction.
- Add-on price: $60 ($70 MSRP)
- The most versatile action camera mount ever created, Capture P.O.V. lets you mount GoPro® and other action cameras directly on a backpack or strap. Also works with point-and-shoot cameras. Aluminum & glass-reinforced nylon construction.
Pro Plate (only available via Kickstarter)
- Add-on price: $25 ($30 projected retail price)
- Our newest quick release plate, PROplate works with ARCA and Manfrotto RC2 tripods and has 4-way Capture compatibility. Machined and anodized aluminum.
Standard Plate (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/standard-plate)
- Add-on price: $15 ($20 MSRP)
- The quick release plate that comes with Capture Standard, as well as Slide and Clutch. ARCA compatible. Die-cast aluminum.
- Add-on price: $25 ($30 MSRP)
- A quick release plate for slim-body camera users that require a plate with a very small footprint to avoid obstruction of the lens or battery compartment.
- Add-on price: $25 ($30 MSRP)
- A gel-like Hypalon pad that increases your comfort and stability when using Capture with heavy camera/lens/grip combinations.
P.O.V. Kit (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/pov-kit)
- Add-on price: $25 ($30 MSRP)
- Turn your Capture Standard or CapturePRO clip into a GoPro or action camera mount with this set of adapter hardware.
Long Clamping Bolts (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/clamping-bolts-long)
- Add-on price: $10
- A set of 2 long clamping bolts for Capture, allowing the clip to fit around thicker straps. Recommended for straps that are thicker than 0.5 in (1.3 cm). Note that long bolts are already included in CaptureP.O.V., P.O.V. Kit and PROpad.
Clamping Bolts (https://peakdesignltd.com/store/clamping-bolts)
- Add-on price: $10
- A set of replacement clamping bolts for Capture Standard, CapturePRO or CaptureP.O.V.
Great question. The differences are actually pretty big, but might not be completely evident at a glance. Let's break it down:
At a high level, Leash and Cuff are minimalist straps. They maximize function and minimize size. Slide and Clutch are built for comfort and to fully meet the needs of professional photographers.
Breaking it down further:
Leash is ultra-minimalist and versatile. It can be used as a sling strap, neck strap, safety tether or video stabilizer. Leash can easily removed and compacted down to store in your pocket. It's made of unpadded 3/4" wide seatbelt-style webbing.
Cuff is a simple quick-connecting wrist strap. The purpose of Cuff is to provide security against camera drops in as small a package as possible. Cuff is made from unpadded 3/4" wide seatbelt-style webbing and can store on your wrist as a bracelet when not in use.
Slide is a quick-connecting, comfortable, padded professional-grade camera strap designed for carrying heavy cameras for a long time. Slide is wearable as a sling strap, shoulder strap or neck strap. Slide is made from 2" tubular seatbelt-style webbing with padding hidden on the inside. One side of Slide is smooth, the other grippy.
Clutch is the only quick-connecting, quick-cinching camera hand strap ever made. Unlike Cuff, Clutch helps you actively grip your camera. Cuff is made from durable Hypalon, EVA foam padding and a microfiber inner.
The short answer is unfortunately no you can't. Slide and Clutch both come with our Standard Plate, and we plan on keeping it that way.
The long answer is that some very serious consideration when into picking the plate that comes with Slide and Clutch. Namely:
1. Tripod compatibility. We wanted a plate that for be tripod-compatible for a majority of folks.
2. Price. Our plates are solid aluminum, so they're not a cheap part. We wanted to add a plate into the package without having to up the price of the straps.
3. Capture-compatibility. Our old PROplate quick release plates (the ones that are currently for sale on our website) don't have connection points that are optimized for our Anchors. That means if you use one of the old plates, it's a little bit harder to use Slide/Clutch and Capture at the same time.
4. Simplicity. We've learned from experience that presenting brand new customers with funky options generates confusion. As product designers, we feel a certain responsibility to make our products as straight-forward as possible - easy to understand, buy, setup and use.
With that being said, our only real options were either to include the Standard Plate or the new Pro Plate with Slide/Clutch. The Standard Plate is significantly less expensive, yet still works great for a majority of photographers (who in increasing percentages use ARCA-type tripod heads). So that's the direction we took.
If Manfrotto RC2 compatibility is a big need for you (and you don't already own a DUALplate), then your best option is pre-order the new Pro Plate for $25, which is a $5 savings from it's future retail price and not too different than buying a stock RC2 plate at a camera shop.
We apologize for the inconvenience that this causes some folks, but in the end we felt responsible to make the choice that provided the best experience to the greatest number of people.
We have every intention of shipping all rewards out by the end of the month of October 2014. That is a conservative estimate, with a good amount of padding in our schedule for unforeseen circumstances. We hope to start shipping out rewards sooner than October, but we cannot guarantee it.
We often get asked if we can expedite the shipping of rewards to individual backers in special circumstances. The short answer to that one is that we unfortunately can’t do that. If it helps, just know that after our funding period ends our team’s absolute #1 priority will be getting our backers’ rewards fulfilled as fast as possible.
For the duration of our funding period we will be putting final tweaks on our manufacturing, assembly and QA processes. Once those things are set, we’ll begin making production runs of our new products. When those new products are ready, they’ll be sent to our 4 fulfillment warehouses. And when all products are in the warehouse, we’ll begin fulfilling.
Depending on the number of backers, fulfillment could take a couple weeks to a month. No matter what, we will keep all of our backers completely up-to-date on our progress, just like we’ve done in the past.
If you're in the US, we'll be shipping your package out of the San Francisco office using USPS First Class (or USPS Priority for larger shipments). Both will have tracking information that will work within the US.
Non-US orders will ship from one of our 3 international warehouses located in London, Hong Kong, and Toronto. In order to save our backers costly duties and taxes, Peak Design is going to be importing all of our products into these countries prior to shipping them to you. This means that your shipments:
1. Won't require taxes or duties in Canada, EU and some Asian countries.
2. Will arrive quickly and not get held up in customs.
3. May have tracking, but may not (depending on the particular post service, of which there will be too many used to name). Most commonly for EU and Asian backers, Royal Mail International or Hong Kong Post will be used.
Note that we cannot alter the value of your rewards on customs declarations - the value will be declared as the total price of the items contained in the shipment.
The exterior of Clutch is made of Hypalon™, a durable synthetic material that is strong, sleek and weatherproof. The interior part that touches your hand is made of soft microfiber. The tension clip, which doubles as a quick adjuster, is made from anodized aluminum.
Slide is made from 2" tubular nylon seatbelt-style webbing. The webbing is filled with EVA foam padding. Slide's adjusters are made from glass-filled nylon with anodized aluminum handles. The ends of slide are thick, waxed Nubuck leather.
Anchor Links (note these are the same connectors found on Slide and Clutch):
The Anchors are made of braided Vectran® cord, overmolded with Delrin® thermoplastic. The Links are made of glass-filled nylon, with a stainless steel spring.
You betcha. Slide and Clutch work with all versions of Capture. All versions of Capture have quick-release plates with Anchor or strap loops.
Note that the best plates to use with Slide and Clutch are the Standard Plate and the new PROplate. That is because these plates have Anchor attachment points in the corner, which makes it easier to slide your camera in and out of Capture with an Anchor attached.
PROplate is 52 mm x 38 mm.
ARCAplate: 46 mm x 46 mm
DUALplate: 52 mm x 42 mm
MICROplate: 43 mm x 29 mm
Standard Plate: 38 mm x 38 mm (this is the plate that comes with Slide and Clutch)
The minimum length when attached to your camera (i.e. connected to an Anchor) is 99 cm (39 in) and maximum length is 137 cm (54 in). The widest point of Slide is 5.08 cm (2 in).
The minimum length is 18 cm (7 in) and longest length 29 cm (11.4 in). At the widest point of Clutch is 50.8 mm (2 in).
It sure does! Clutch is fully adjustable, meaning that it can attach to just about any size of camera body, so long as it has standard strap loops and a 1/4-20 tripod mount. Check out this picture: http://pkdsn.com/clutchbgrip
Totes. You simply place two Anchors on the bottom plate - one connects to Clutch and the other to Slide. On Slide the other Anchor will typically attach to the left strap loop and Clutch to right strap loop. See this picture: http://pkdsn.com/slideandclutch
Nope. If you have a PROdrive Screw (a D-ring screw that you can order from the Add On Menu or our website) you can connect an Anchor to that. However, doing so takes away the ability for you to quickly clip you camera into our Capture Clip or stick it into an ARCA-type tripod head.
If you have a compact or point-and-shoot camera, you might be asking yourself this question.
The short answer is you probably don't need MICROplate - PROplate or the Standard Plate (that comes with Slide and Clutch) will do you just fine.
The longer answer is this: there are a few rare circumstances where you might want a MICROplate:
1. If you have a camera with a body thinner than the width of our quick-release plates, the plates will stick out from your camera a little. We're talking a very little - like fractions of a centimeter. This bugs some folks. If your camera is thinner than 25 mm, and you're picky about how it looks, consider getting a MICROplate.
2. In rare circumstances cameras will have lenses that poke out below the base of the camera. If you have one of these cameras, we recommend a MICROplate.
3. Some cameras have battery/SD compartments very close to the tripod socket. Sometimes MICROplate will not obscure the hatch, while our other plates will.
Our current CapturePRO quick-release plates have a D-ring on them. The new PROplate does not have a D-ring. We're phasing out the D-ring because even though it was good in some ways, it was problematic in others.
The upside of a D-ring: it lets you hand-tighten and hand-loosen your quick-release plate, no tool needed. It also gives you a connection point for Anchors or other sling straps like those that Black Rapid makes.
1. Because the D-ring can be hand tightened, many folks tend to not use the hex tool. If you don't put enough elbow grease into it, you'll have a loose plate. While hand tightening and loosening is convenient, it's just not the safest.
2. Very rarely the D-ring pops out when it shouldn't. Like when your camera is locked into Capture. The result is that you have to jiggle your camera around to get it out of Capture.
So here's what we did:
- We got rid of the D-ring in PROplate. Now you have to use a tool to tighten/loosen your plate.
- The screw on PROplate has a hex and coin drive. If you don't have a wrench, you'll probably have a coin laying around.
- We added a keyring on the hex wrench that comes with CapturePRO. Now it'll be more likely that you'll have a hex wrench with you.
If you absolutely must have the D-ring screw, it's for sale separately (see the Add On Menu). It's called the PROdrive screw, and you can use it by itself or with any of our quick-release plates.
We've gotten a few requests for additional photos of Slide and Clutch. To not clutter the page too much we've decided to create a Flickr album for you guys. Shoot us comments/messages if you want to see something in particular.
If you're looking for higher resolution media photos of our gear, chek out our media kit: http://pkdsn.com/media
Pledge $1 or more
If you simply want to help our cause, or you only want to pick rewards from the Add-On Menu (see FAQ), then choose this reward.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $15 or more
Anchor Link'd in. Get 1 set of Anchor Links to upgrade any standard camera strap into a versatile, quick-connecting wonder strap. Save $5 from the planned future retail price.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $30 or more
Clutch it up. Get 1 Clutch hand strap - the first of its kind. Save $10 from the planned future retail price.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $50 or more
Slide on over. Get 1 Slide camera strap - the most thoughtful camera strap you've ever seen. Save $10 from the planned future retail price.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $80 or more
Strap Duo: Slide & Clutch. These two beautifully designed straps can be used together or interchangeably. Save $20 from the planned future retail price.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $150 or more
Kickstarter Combo: Slide, Clutch & CapturePRO. Get our new straps, plus a new, improved version of the CapturePRO Camera Clip. Use all products together as a complete camera-carrying system, or use each separately. Save $30 from the planned future retail price.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
- (59 days)