GOAL REACHED! New Stretch Goals Announced!
Thank you so much for your support
- If We Reach $7000 - 4 more tracks recorded and will be released EXCLUSIVELY for PRSO backers
- If we reach $8000 - the above plus... 2 More PRSO Music Videos & Singles! We will record additional music videos exclusively for PRSO backers to view/listen to.
- If we reach $9000 - All of the above, plus... Additional Musicians on Recording! We will hire additional 1st violinists, as well as adding an oboe, 2nd clarinet, bassoon, and two horns in F to recreate the "Large Orchestra" format from the 1910s and 1920s! We'll record several tracks with this enlarged PRSO orchestra.
We're recording our fourth CD AND our first music videos, and need your help to make it happen!
The Peacherine Ragtime Society Orchestra (www.peacherineragtime.com) is returning to Kickstarter to help fund our fourth recording project! After successfully completing two Kickstarter albums, Step With Pep and Elite Syncopations, we're now returning to help fund our next project, and this is a very special one!
In February 2018, Peacherine acquired the theater orchestra collection of legendary ragtime pianist Johnny Maddox (1927-present). Mr. Maddox is one of the leading ragtime piano players of all time, selling over 11 million records (with 9 gold singles), has a star on Hollywood Boulevard, and had a career performing with musicians including Patsy Cline, W.C. Handy, Joe Jordan, Lawrence Welk, Ted Lewis, Tony Pastor, among others. Mr. Maddox collected these 2,000 historic orchestrations orchestrations throughout his lifetime and preserved these in his own immense collection of American popular music.
Now Peacherine wants to share the music from Johnny Maddox's Theatre Orchestra Collection with YOU!
We are teaming up with Johnny's protege, ragtime pianist Adam Swanson (http://adamgswanson.com/) to record an album of music pulled directly from this historic collection, featuring ragtime piano solos, ultra-rare and never-before recorded orchestral selections, and of course popular favorites that you know and recognize.
Our new CD: Jazzin' The Blues Away: Music from the Johnny Maddox Collection will feature around 20 selections of ragtime, dance, and theatre music from the turn of the last century. Favorites by Scott Joplin, James Scott, George Gershwin, W.C. Handy, John Philip Sousa, etc. will be featured, along with novelty pieces featuring members of our orchestra, notably singer Bill Edwards (Of the U.S. Navy Sea Chanters), Corey Sansolo, trombonist, and of course, Adam Swanson on piano.
The tentative track listing includes:
- John Philip Sousa's iconic march The Stars and Stripes Forever
- George Gershwin's Swanee (with vocals provided by Bill Edwards)
- The Classic Rags of Scott Joplin, including The Cascades and Pine Apple Rag (featured in the 1973 Academy Award winning movie The Sting), AND the only rag Scott Joplin arranged for orchestra, James Scott's Frog Legs Rag
- Several vocal selections including The Aba Daba Honeymoon, Take Your Girlie To The Movies, and Everybody Rag With Me
- Well known ragtime era favorites like The St. Louis Blues, Crazy Bone Rag, Car Barlick Acid, and Oh You Beautiful Doll.
- Never-before recorded selections, including a medley of pieces by female ragtime composer May Aufderheide, Mr. Trombonology (The Son of "Oh Slip It Man") by N.C. Davis, and more!
As part of our recording, we're also looking to shoot our first MUSIC VIDEOS! We're hoping to share more of our music via the web, and we'll be shooting two of the above selections with video, AND we will be recording TWO MODERN PIECES IN RAGTIME STYLE (titles TBD)!
At the core of this new recording project will of course be the Peacherine Ragtime Society Orchestra, "the premier American ragtime ensemble" as hailed by The Washington Post. Over the past eight years the PRSO has become one of America's leading ensembles dedicated to the preservation and performance of America's first popular music: Ragtime. We'll be performing the music on this album using the ORIGINAL period orchestral scores, period performance techniques, and will be using several vintage instruments to get the most authentic sound possible (including our c. 1918 J.G. Richards & Co. "Traps" Drum Set, with all the fixings!).
Reviews of PRSO's previous Kickstarter CD, Elite Syncopations:
"Tremendous feeling for the music in these performances... PRSO has the real sound of the period down pat, whether in a march like Sousa's "Semper Fidelis", or a blues like W.C. Handy's "Beale Street". Needless to add, their rags are exquisite." - Fanfare
"The PRSO's Elite Syncopations belongs in every ragtime lover's library." - Fanfare
"Impeccably performed." - The Syncopated Times
"Plenty of variety, played in a sparkling fashion which positively exudes good spirits...evocative of the sound that once would have been heard emanating from a park bandstand on a balmy summer’s afternoon.”– Barry McCanna, Sounds of Yesteryear
In addition to the recorded tracks, the CD will feature a booklet of liner notes written by Andrew Greene, chock full of information on the selections, composers, cover art for the sheet music, rare photographs, and more!
We have funding in place to pay all of our musicians for their time, but need the last bit of funding to make our next CD a reality! Your support will cover:
- Recording studio + engineering (including mixing & editing) with Arts Laureate, who worked with PRSO for our last two CDs, Elite Syncopations and Step With Pep
- Album Design (including covers, liner notes, physical disc)
- Production and manufacturing of the physical discs and subsequent release on Rivermont Records
- Videography and editing/mixing of the music videos for release onto Youtube and other video platforms
- Kickstarter fees & promotion
We're very excited to make our new CD and music videos a reality, and we won't settle for anything but the best quality to bring you some of the best music from the Ragtime era. We thank you for your support!
Risks and challenges
This is PRSO's third project to be helped funded via Kickstarter, and we are confident that we will keep this project running smoothly. We're following a successful formula used in recording our most recent CDs, using a recording studio (Arts Laureate) and engineer we've used previously with superb audio quality. We will be using Rivermont Records' CD pressing plant for our CD manufacturing. Past projects have been delivered on time and within budget. We have a mailing list with 700 supporters and we will be pre-selling CDs to these patrons during the manufacturing process. We will keep backers updated on all progress on the album.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)