Sunny Finds her Shine is a story about a sunflower who can pop up anywhere and searches far and wide for a place to fit in. But everywhere she goes, she is taught that she can’t be herself because she is too tall, too bright -- too much.
Through Sunny’s journey, we learn that we don’t need to dim our shine, and that it is safe for us to stand tall and confident as our true selves!
WHY THIS IS SO IMPORTANT:
This is so much bigger than a children’s book.
Children are sponges, constantly soaking up everything around them. They use their experiences to then formulate beliefs about their world and about themselves.
Children are born with open minds and are excited to explore their worlds.
They believe anything is possible. I don’t want children to lose this sense of magic.
Since I know that children learn most through stories and through doing,
this book integrates and encourages participation in various ways so children can truly embody what they are learning, by:
- Building empathy and compassion by connecting with Sunny’s story
- Repeating positive affirmations aloud to help rewire our brains with more positive thinking! (*Did you know that 80 percent of our thoughts are negative and 95 percent of those are repetitive??)
- Acting out the 10 yoga poses that are integrated throughout the story (with explanations at the back of the book)
e.g. When the line reads, "She opened her eyes and as she could see, she was on top of a MOUNTAIN, but how could that be?" then you would do "mountain pose" - with a description and image of the pose in the back of the book.
- Using their own workbook (geared towards grades K-2) which includes art activities, empowerment exercises, and self-reflection & expression practices.
It’s one thing to TELL a child to believe in themselves, it’s a WHOLE other thing to teach them to recognize how those thoughts and emotions actually FEEL in their bodies, and to provide them with tools to help cultivate confidence and self-worth.
HOW YOUR SUPPORT HELPS:
Your contributions will allow me to cover the many costs involved in getting Sunny published and shared in homes and schools across the country!
- Publishing and printing costs
- Obtaining ISBN numbers, registration fees and costs associated with getting listed in online bookstores
- Shipping costs
- Helps support the buy 1, give 1 model (for each book purchased, another will be donated to a school or library in need)
- Helps support the funding for a Children's Empowerment Tour - bringing LIVE Sunny workshops to schools across the country!! (book donations, art supplies, etc)
ANYONE WHO SHARES THIS KICKSTARTER WILL RECEIVE A LIMITED EDITION SUNNY AFFIRMATION STICKER!
Use the #sunnyfindshershine and tag me @peacefulbypina !!
SO, WHO AM I?
Hi! I’m Pina Tripodi - teacher, writer and artist.
After nearly a decade in the classroom, I realized that it wasn’t specifically teaching reading or math that lit me up, it was when I formed relationships with children and helped them feel empowered, believe in themselves and support one another, that I saw lasting change.
So, about 2 years ago, I started my own full-time healing & art business, Peaceful by Pina.
Through my business, I have been able to cultivate connection, inspiration and empowerment for women and children of all ages, through sharing the modalities that most impacted my life: art, yoga, women’s circles, and energy healing. It has been truly magical to watch what unfolds when people come together and feel safe to be seen and heard.
I can’t tell you how often I’ve heard, “I WISH I had learned this when I was younger! Can you imagine if kids were taught this in schools?!”
Well, I CAN imagine.
So of course, I did what I do best, I created. And here we are!
Getting Sunny published is an important first step, but there is so much more I want to do! Every dollar that is donated beyond the initial goal will help me reach my BIGGER goal of creating and publishing all 7 books in the series as well as the FULL empowerment curriculum with a teacher & parent guide.
This series and curriculum focuses on the powerful themes of our energy centers (support, creativity, confidence, love, communication, intuition and trust) and can be used in schools and homes.
Finally, I will embark on a 5 city Children's Empowerment Tour in 2020 (LA, San Diego, Boston, NY, Chicago) and provide schools with Empowerment Experiences! These workshops will include art, mindfulness and movement activities as well as book donations for classrooms.
I want to help heal the world, and I know that by empowering children, we empower the future.
Risks and challenges
Risks are low. I have already written and illustrated all of the pages myself so now we are in the final stretch!
I have an outline for the workbook and am working on creating the final version.
Since I have been in the education field for the past 10 years and have extensive experience in working with children and adults, I am very dedicated to getting this book published.
Next steps include:
- Creating a cover page
- Finishing formatting and editing the book on Adobe InDesign
- Publishing and printing the book from IngramSparks.
- Completing and printing the workbook
My goal is to get these books shipped and into your hands by early December! (Just in time for the holidays!)
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOULearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (24 days)