Hugs and kisses to all supporters! We made it--and we've unlocked our stretch goals.
We'd love more support in the final days of this campaign. And there are still great reasons to pledge:
- The Corporal tier is a great deal -- $20 is a steal for a clothbound, hardcover book, plus shipping. This book won't be offered at this price again!
- You're helping to build a platform for my comics, paving the way for Zuzel and the Fox and future volumes of Rudek and the Bear to get published.
- You're being awesome.
UNLOCKED: Clothbound Edition
UNLOCKED: Polish eBook!
About the Project
Rudek and the Bear is a webcomic featuring anthropomorphic animals. It chronicles the shenanigans surrounding a company of soldiers in the Korpus Ochrony Pogranicza--the Border Protection Corps of the Second Polish Republic--in the year 1929.
I started drawing the webcomic a year and a half ago. I wanted to refine my art and writing skills as I develop my first graphic novel,Żużel and the Fox. My style draws inspiration from illustrators like Norman Rockwell, animators like Milt Kahl, and comic creators like Juanjo Guarnido and Shane-Michael Vidaurri.
According to Vidaurri, the creator of Iron: or, the War After, "Donahue's work hearkens back to great illustrators like Arthur Rackham, yet it is fresh and vibrant enough to feel modern at the same time."
Other artists and readers online have given me positive feedback. I think I've made some progress as an artist, and the webcomic seems ready to take a big step.
This Kickstarter Project seeks to collect and print the first 50 webcomics in a book.
If you choose to back this project, you won't just be helping a publishing newbie put a webcomic into print. You'll be helping Rudek and the Bear reach more readers. You'll be helping me get one step closer to fulfilling my dream of becoming a graphic novelist.
Using a small, U.S.-based book bindery, I'll print up a limited run of Rudek and the Bear: Volume I.
The number of copies will depend somewhat on the amount of support the Kickstarter receives.
The comics in the book will be printed at 300dpi, which is three times as clear and crisp as the webcomic appears on my site. The artwork will look better than it ever has.
Additional material will be featured in the book. This might include:
- A dust jacket featuring cover art created especially for this book
- commentary on the artistic techniques I experimented with
- sketches and production art
- a page that lists backers
- a two-page spread featuring a "company portrait" of the characters from the comic as well as backers (see incentives)
- bonus comics featuring guest appearances by backers (see incentives)
Production of the book is expected to take about three months, at which point I will begin shipping books and incentives to backers.
Check out all the ways you can support this project, and the great rewards you can earn. Will you be a soldier? An officer? A smuggler? Scroll down to learn more!
(A chart summarizing the reward tiers appears at the end.)
Backers at the "Staff Sergeant" level and above will be asked for reference photos or drawings. I will draw an anthropomorphic animal version of you (or a character representing you) based on these reference materials, and include it in the group portrait.
Officers get everything the Staff Sergeant gets, plus various additional incentives.
In addition, the Grand Marshal's digital art commission will be a full-color, print-ready illustration, rather than a sketch, and comes with the option for an online consultation (via Skype, Livestream, or Google Hangout).
Lower tiers priced for international shipping.
DISCLAIMER: the design of the book will probably not appear as pictured in the above illustrations. The design of the pin and the patch may also vary.
Summary of Rewards
Estimated Project Timeline
- November 2014: The pin and patch have already gone into production. The text of the comics will be sent to a professional English-Polish translator. I will begin drawing the group portrait and bonus comics, communicating with all backers involved.
- December 2014: the comics and bonus materials will be compiled into book format and sent to the printer. I will begin fulfilling digital art commissions.
- February 2015: I am assuming it will take about 9 weeks to produce and ship the books to me. By February, I will begin shipping books, pins, patches, and prints to backers. PDFs will be delivered electronically to Privates, First Class.
- March? 2015: Hopefully, international backers will receive their books and rewards by March. International shipping can be slow!
You've reached the bottom of this page--thanks for reading! Thanks for taking a look at this project. I would love your support!
Risks and challenges
Production and shipping delays are possible. If they occur, backers will be notified in a timely manner.
I work full time as a teacher, so the timeline for fulfillment of digital art commissions this fall will be dependent on my work schedule. Again, all potential delays will be communicated to the backers concerned.
International shipping costs have been factored into the backer tier prices, with the hope that unforeseen costs can be absorbed by the project budget. Complications in shipping books, pins, prints, and patches to foreign countries may arise, and if shipping is not possible, refunds will be given.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)