Thank you to everyone who backed our Kickstarter! It's now ended but if you missed out you can still give us your support via PayPal at our website. http://terratechgame.com/support-us/
Official selection for EGX Rezzed Leftfield Collection, MCM Comic Con Go Indie area, The Gadget Show Live Indie Zone and Radius Festival.
Why isn't TerraTech on Steam Greenlight?
We've been showing TerraTech to our peers and the public since the very beginning of the project, including at GDC earlier this year. As soon as we had something playable, we let people try it out.
The response to the game has been awesome and as a result, we've been cleared to bring it directly to the Steam store, which is why you can download our Demo on Steam right now and why we'll be hitting Early Access around October.
Build crazy vehicles out of modular blocks! Seek out enemies. Shoot blocks off them and destroy their cockpits. Scavenge their dropped blocks to make your vehicle bigger, stronger and faster.
Build anything you can imagine! Heavy battle tanks? Yes. Fast scout vehicles? Yep. Flying carpet bombers? Why not?! Simply snap the dropped enemy blocks onto your creation by dragging and dropping, then get straight back into the fray!
TerraTech lets you design, construct and organise a fleet of unique vehicles to lead to victory as you battle your way across the lawless frontiers of new alien worlds in a quest for glory and profit. In the distant future, Earth's natural resources have finally been depleted, and as an off-world prospector it's your job to travel to alien planets, gather up all the good stuff and blast it back home to get paid. The rarest resources will build the best kit so expand your turf and take out enemy bases to secure your position on each planet.
If you can't wait to get stuck in then head over to IndieDB to play our latest demo here: www.indiedb.com/games/terratech/downloads.
Building your vehicles out of blocks is easy, just drag and drop them into position and away you go! No clunky menu screens or hidden-away 'build modes' to get in the way - simply grab any blocks that you want to use and chuck them on your tank.
The whole thing happens in real-time inside the game world so you can steal enemy blocks as soon as they fall off or even rebuild yourself using fallen blocks in the middle of a heated battle.
And talking of heated battles... you're not alone on these alien worlds. The enemy is out there! They're using the same blocks as you and they're fighting just as hard to take the best resources. If you want to win, you’ll have to fight.
Equip your vehicles with all kinds of weapons to help you win; machine guns, lasers, cannons, mortars and more. There's a whole range of melee weapons too; power drills, mining bores, ram spikes, digger scoops and much more. We're adding new blocks and weapons to the game all the time, so you know there'll never be a dull moment.
When you first land on the exo-planet, you’ll do so with all of the equipment you need to refine, store and deliver the resources you collect. If your base is destroyed by rival prospectors, then you’ll have no way to complete your mission, so protect it at all costs.
Harvesting & Crafting
Once you've established and stocked up your base, the next step is to seek out some of those rare resources.
Scattered throughout the world are pockets of ore (diamond, titanium, gold, and suchlike). If you can find them and bring some back to your base, you’ll be able to craft new higher tier blocks or blocks which you simply won't be able to find through scavenging alone.
Artificial Intelligence Modules are the key to building a fleet. Attach these 'brains' to spare vehicles and you'll create drones to do your bidding. They'll follow your orders, watch your back in battle, help to harvest & transport resources, or even stand guard to protect your base and fleet.
TerraTech's building blocks are grouped into several sets, each provided by a different Corporation, with its own style and distinctive strengths. As you unlock new Corporations, you can experiment with many different ways to combine them - some combinations work better than others!
The first Early Access version of the game will include three of these Corporations - GSO, GeoCorp and Venture. Progress in TerraTech is about opening up more new corporations as you go, and licensing their technology, block by block. Of course, all this comes at a price, and you'll have to range far and wide to find the rare resources needed to manufacture the most advanced components.
Multiplayer & User-generated Content
Multiplayer is a big part of the TerraTech vision. Imagine building a giant flying mothership base with your friends, tracking an enemy to their base and planning an ambush. Or taking on your buddies in the challenge modes to see who can build the best vehicles for specific scenarios.
Our demo already allows you to share your tank designs with your friends via Twitter and we know that this sort of interaction is where TerraTech really comes alive. In a game about creativity and building, the experience is enhanced so much when you can share your creations with other players around the world and we've had some awesome creations shared by our community already.
Of course, multiplayer and user generated content are big features for us to complete as a small team so these are the main reasons why we are asking for your help on Kickstarter.
TerraTech is being brought to life by a core team of just four developers.
Russ Clarke (founder and programming lead), Kris Skellorn (design) and Sai Wun Poon (production) are full-time on the project, but not receiving a salary, and they've previously worked together at various large games studios. Between them they have nearly 40 years experience on some of gaming's biggest franchises, including; Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and Fable.
They're joined regularly by Jolyon Webb (art director) who has 16 years of industry experience at Codemasters and Blitz Games Studios. working on major franchises for Disney, DreamWorks and Nickelodeon.
They're supported by experienced PR and community management specialists Natalie Griffith and Joseph Barron, as well as a handful of ace freelance contributors too.
So far, we've managed to do a lot with not very much. We raised a small amount last year that went towards things like paying contract artists, building a website, show attendances and so on. We've made that go much further than we thought possible, but it's going to run out soon!
Our core developers aren't getting paid at all at the moment, but we won't make it to October like that. Also we've moved into a small room in an office block, which has meant our productivity has sky-rocketed but obviously means we now have fixed repeating costs.
The community reaction to the game so far has been incredible and we're more committed than ever to giving you all the game that TerraTech deserves to be, but we've still got some big features on the to-do list: like multiplayer for instance. To tackle these properly and to make the core experience super-polished, we need to expand our team a little, so this is what your support will enable us to achieve.
And of course, the more successful our campaign is, the higher we'll be able to push that quality bar and the more cool stuff we'll be able to implement, which brings us on to...
We've thought long and hard about how to make sure this game becomes a reality. The safe approach is to cut down to the most achievable form we can, but we know there's a lot more you want to see in the game, so we're offering the most popular requests as stretch goals.
Please remember: we are a small team! Even if we hit these backing targets, it will still take us a while to deliver the extra features. If we reach these higher levels, you're giving us the security to get on with improving the game, adding new features, and possibly even bringing some of that cool content forward into earlier versions.
£45K - Creative Mode
A relaxing 'fairground planet', the Creative World is where intergalactic prospectors go between missions to unwind and practice without danger. Not just an empty area with lots of dispensers, this is a hand crafted theme park environment, filled with all sorts of different attractions. Explore an adventure playground of challenge events and try your hand at building and driving all sorts of wacky contraptions, to compete for the top spot in each challenge's high-score table. Your best attempts will be saved for others to view and compete against.
Alternatively use the block dispensers and wide open spaces to build and test anything you can imagine! Don't forget to share your creations with the world using the data snapshot function, and browse through the mad contraptions that everyone else has built. If something looks good, you're free to load it into your game and take it for a spin.
The Creative World fairground will grow in size too: unlock new challenges by finding them in the main game progression. Or try your hand at the ever changing weekly challenges, set by the Payload team. Challenge winners are rewarded with exclusive name tags, insignias and block skins to show off their skill.
£60K - Online Multiplayer
This is the #1 most requested feature, but it's a biggy. We're committed to doing it sooner or later, but if we hit this goal then we'll aim to get it in for our Early Access launch later this year, instead of waiting til the full release in 2015.
£80K - New Corporation: Reticule Research
Reticule Research is an applied sciences research company, whose main focus is experimental weaponry. The coy RR execs realised that they could cut their R&D costs if they simply offered up their dangerous prototype weapons to off-world mining prospectors.
The weapons they offer are real 'evil-genius-grade' levels of insanity. These bizarre contraptions give little indication of their actual function and they're just as likely to blow their operator to tiny pieces as they are to actually work. So choose wisely!
We've tried to come up with a selection of really cool rewards that will let as many people as possible get involved in the game's development, and even get the chance to be immortalised in the game itself.
Check out the grid below for an at-a-glance list of everything that's on offer and let us know if you have any other ideas of things you'd like to see as rewards. We'll do our best to include them later on if it's practical.
Here's a little more detail of some of the specific reward elements...
- We know that not everyone's got that much cash to spare but we're really grateful for every pledge we receive, which is why even at the £3 Exclusive Wallpapers tier we'll still give you a backers' credit on our website, as a sign of our appreciation.
- Our £10 Early Bird Game Backer tier is a reduced-price shot at getting hold of a copy of the final game, especially for those super-keen uber-fans who get in early to support our campaign. If you're that keen, we figure you deserve a bit of a bargain!
- The £15 Game Backer tier is deliberately priced LOWER than the planned RRP for the final game so this one is still a great deal. And don't forget that you won't have to wait til launch to play it, you'll also get a free Steam key to play the Early Access version later this year.
- At the £25 Beta Backer level you'll get exclusive access to our closed beta and backer forums. You'll get regular builds of the game (at least monthly) and be able to discuss your ideas and share your feedback with us as we go through development.
- If you opt for the £40 Digital Harvester tier then you'll get your hands on a lush PDF companion book that'll be chock-full of concept artwork, early sketches and images detailing the progression, along with articles about development, tips and tricks, item information tables and other gems written by the team. You also get an exclusive white skin for GSO.
- Pledgers of the £55 Boxed Game Backer tier and above will have a DRM-free version of the final game delivered to them on a full metal casing, high quality, TerraTech USB key packaged in a Galactic Survey Organisation branded collectors gift box. The PDF companion book, digital copy of the soundtrack and TerraTech wallpapers will also be stored on the USB key.
- Membership to the Mining Crew is for the biggest TerraTech fans so if you think that's you then you might want to check out the £70 Mining Crew Member tier. The Crew is for guys and gals who like to help spread the word about TerraTech by sharing photos and making videos of their mad creations!
In return we like to pay The Crew back by including their names and scores as defaults on the leaderboards and by giving them priority when we select new tanks to put into the game. We also send new builds out to Mining Crew members a few days early so that they can start preparing their videos of the game and help with feedback and balancing.
The Mining Crew will also get one of our never-to-be-sold-separately tees like the one below, plus these ace Corporation propaganda art posters to hang on your wall with pride. (Make sure you let us know which size t-shirt you want before we send them out. If we don't hear from you then we'll send you an Adult medium size.)
Our Mining Crew recruits will also get access to an exclusive matchmaking system when we launch multiplayer. You'll get to play alongside the most hardcore TerraTech players and use this filter to prioritise matches with other Mining Crew members, so that you can always roll with The Crew.
The £100 Mining Crew Foreman backers will get their name written into TerraTech lore, in the back-story of a block or challenge mode. Send us a story or anecdote about you and we'll try to include it in some form. Tell us
some of your likes and dislikes and we will aim to use some of that too. Be warned that we may refuse a name or some story elements if they could be construed as offensive or profane (Shufflebottom is fine though!) Here's a good example of the kind of thing we mean:
"Fusion-based gyroscopic stabilisation was pioneered by the eccentric genius Dr. John Doe in the early 2100s, although the process was almost lost when he perished in a freak lettuce-spinning accident while testing his apparatus in the kitchen. Radio-magnetic salad utensils have been banned in the Northern European Republic ever since.”
You also get an exclusive black skin for GSO.
- If you reckon you can come up with an awesome new block design then go for the £300 Corporation Vice President tier. Join us for a design meeting over Skype. You'll discuss your ideas with the team over Skype and work with them to decide upon a new block that'll appear in the finished game.
This could be a new weapon, a new method of propulsion or something ridiculous just for the heck of it, you make the call. We'll also use your name in the name of the block itself, or mention you in the back-story of it, so you can be all “See that? I made that!”.
We'll need to make sure that the new block doesn't break the game in any way and isn't offensive or anything, but as a backer you'll still have a good amount of freedom to create what you want. You'll also get to join us on one of our regular Twitch live-streams to unveil your block for the first time - although you don't have to if that's not your thing!
You also get an exclusive gold skin for GSO.
- Show everyone who's boss by going for the £1,000 Corporation CEO tier and getting yourself immortalised in the game as one of our Corporation bosses. You'll join the team for a design meeting (in person, if you can get yourself to London, UK) and work with us to get your likes, dislikes, appearance and any anecdotes you share with us into the character. As with the above tiers, we can't have anything too rude or offensive, but beyond that you can go nuts with it!
As above, you'll have the option of unveiling your creation on one of our live-streams, and if you do manage to get yourself to London then we'll even take you for a drink after the design meeting!
Take your pick - we really appreciate any and all support.
Thanks to everyone who has helped us out along our journey so far, including:
- Our amazing freelancers: Paul Jennings (graphic design), Tucho Fernández Calo (3D art), Michal Kus and Vlad Ciuban (concept art), and Lorna Cooper (graphics programming)
- Greg Rice at Double Fine Productions for his wonderful Kickstarter advice.
- James Wallis of Spaaace for his incredibly valuable Kickstarter advice
- Kaya Yuzuki of Luna & Coco Films for helping us shoot our Kickstarter video
- Alex Bowden of Emotion Effect for editing it all together
- James Dance from Loading Bar, London for allowing us to film at his awesome venue
- Phi Dinh, developer of Tiny Keep, for support and advice
- All the guys and girls at IndieDB, Twitch, Boneloaf, Bossa Studios (especially Jack Good), Arch Creatives and Radiant Worlds.
All the teams behind EGX Rezzed: Leftfield Collection, The Gadget Show Live, MCM Comic Con, and Radius Festival
The original TerraTech Mining Crew Recruits! Harry Taylor, Neo, EthanGamerTV, Ryan Airth, Aaron Bolduc, Reece Richards, and Stephen Roberts.
- All of our family and friends for putting up with our indie gaming adventures!
Recommended Ages: TerraTech is suitable for all ages. We've seen everyone from experienced gamers down to children as young as 5 enjoy the game at conventions and other events.
English language only for now: The Closed Beta and the Early Access versions of the game will only have English text, but we'll localise the game into lots of other languages at a later date.
- Builds delivered via Steam: Our Closed Beta and Early Access versions of the game will all be distributed via Steam. So if you pledge at these tiers, please ensure that you have a valid Steam account and that you use the email address associated with that account when you back us.
Risks and challenges
Although Payload is a small studio, our core team has a combined total of nearly 40 years in the games industry. We're drawing on this experience to make TerraTech the most fun and engaging game possible, as efficiently and cost-effectively as we can.
Our latest playable demo puts us in a very good place to expand what we currently have, and add more functionality and content to get us to the Early Access phase of the project, then on to creating the full game.
We have deliberately defined an initial scope for the game that we are comfortable with. The modular nature of both the design and art gives us the flexibility to adjust the scope and to scale the project in reaction to how we interact with our backers during development, so we can include as many of their great ideas as possible without breaking our development plans.
Drawing from our experience, we're confident that we are set up to make a great game for our backers. Our initial funding goal will allow us to enhance our latest playable demo with great content and features to create a game that is extremely fun to play.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)